Hi everyone I am new here

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I just got back into drums after giving them up 10 years ago. I never had a place to practice that my neighborer would not complain. I recently made the mistake of going into GC and looked at their Roland V drum sets. I got a TD4 with a mesh head for the snare and a Pearl 902 double bass pedal. I also got a better Roland cymbal to use as my ride. So far I really like it and I am having a blast learning and practicing. It is real nice to put on the headphones and play and know your not disturbing anyone or that anyone can hear all my mistakes, lol.
I thank all of you for having me on this forum, any advise or pointers are greatly appreciated. Let the journey continue from here.

Kevin

MikeM

Platinum Member
Hi Kevin,

Technically, you're supposed to post in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the forum and say, "Hi, my name is Kevin and I've been afflicted with drumming for x number of years and have recently hit rock bottom..." which will be met with a chorus of sympathetic, "Hi Kevin" monotones.

Just kidding. Welcome aboard the goodship DrummerWorld!

Homeularis

Gold Member
Yeah, the drums are the most fun of the music world imo, but they are a MAJOR PITA!.

Cant really play them quiet like the guitar and countless other instruments, and they are a pain to move, setup, break down, tune etc...etc.

Oh well, I aint givin em up for nobody. ; )

Welcome to DW!.

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Thanks, you had me worried there for a moment, I belong to some audio forums and one in particular is full of real snooty well to do types and I see that happen all the time to new comers and another is completely laid back. go figure,
Anyway I played off and on when I had the money to buy a kit and probably have a solid year of actual practice time. I never took any lessons but did get a few pointers, I want to learn the right way this time and am going at my own pace. I don't practice every day but usually when I do its for a long time. I spent all day yesterday practicing and on free drum lesson website. finally I had to give up because fatigue set in and I couldn't play anything.
What is the single most important thing to focus on right now when practicing? timing?

Thanks again!

MikeM

Platinum Member
What is the single most important thing to focus on right now when practicing? timing?
Timing is pretty much the most important thing in the world if you're expecting to play with other musicians, so that one is kind of a given. Practicing getting your hands to do what you tell them and training your brain to tell your hands to do useful things is another.

Sorry, not much use on that, but there is a technique section where this kind of thing is discussed all the time.

Good luck!

zarrdoss

Gold Member
Thanks for the welcomes and advise, I posted an introduction where it is supposed to be and I will be visiting here frequently. probably a bunch of stupid redundant questions but I promise to search first.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hey, welcome to DW!!!

Glad to hear that you came back to drumming. Feels great, huh, doesn't it? :) hehe.

Anyway, happy drumming! Cheers.