Hhx super cymbal pack or Evolution pack

Moejo

I've got my sights set on these two packs. Anybody familiar with either one of these and what are the differences between the two ? I live well too far away to go test them as I don't have any music stores near me. Any advice ? I'm also looking into buying the PDP maple concept exotic kit ad any feedback on those would be much appreciated.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Depends on what kind of music you are going to play, which kind of sound you are after. HHX - generally very good line of cymbals.

I play the Evolution-Series (10, 12, 14HH, 16, 18, 20) and they are really nice. But they are very different to other HHX cymbals IMO. Definitely not made for hard-hitters, especially the thin crashes. And it takes some time to get to know them, their character, their strength and weaknesses, how to hit them and when at which dynamic level. Those cymbals are ... pretty complex in their character, thus a bit - let's say - "demanding". They are not really some kind of "hit and forget" cymbal I'd say. But once you really start working with them, you will be rewarded with a fantastic sound.

Superman

Gold Member
They are both modern dark cymbals and thin in weight. It comes down to tone. You need to decide which is for you. If you don't want thin cymbals you might want to look elsewhere. I have some Evolutions and they are great cymbals, but as Wave Deckel said, they take some getting used to and are not for heavy hitters. I really only use them when I am playing softer stuff. I'm afraid if I play them with rock music that I will crack them.

Moejo

Thank you for the input. I am a hard hitter and am looking for a higher end cymbal line. What do you suggest ?

Superman

Gold Member
Thank you for the input. I am a hard hitter and am looking for a higher end cymbal line. What do you suggest ?
If you are a hard hitter then I would suggest going with at least medium weight or rock cymbals. I prefer medium thin but I'm not a super hard hitter. If you go on the Sabian website, they list each of their cymbals as thin, med thin, med, med heavy, heavy. That might help you narrow down your search. As a hard hitter, you will destroy Evolutions and waste a lot of money.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Generally speaking-

Sabian-AAX and AA (avoid anything marked "thin".)
Zildjian-A Custom (again, avoid anything marked "thin".)

Those are the ones I am familiar with, and you can get package deals for all those lines. Meinl, Istanbul, and Paiste all make suitable cymbals. You could go their website and get the info as a start. I may have missed a couple like Soultone, but you have enough to get started.

Another thing you could do is check out the cymbal setups of your favorite drummers. This will help get you pointed in the right direction as far as what lines they are endorsing. Not that you will get their sound "out of the box" necessarily, but again it can get you in the ball park.

Good luck in your quest!

Moejo

Mongrel - My Favorite Drummers are Peart and Portnoy. Pearts line is way out of my price range lol and Portnoy uses HHX and AAX mostly. My last kit I played the Paiste Alphas which I actually like. I was just looking to go to a more higher end cymbal. Im looking to buy the PDP exotic Maple concept kit and would like to spend a little more on the cymbals. I can tune the drums but cant tune the cymbals :)

Moejo

Looking like I may have to go with the Alphas again. Is anyone familiar with the Meinl Custom classics ? They seem to have a pretty decent deal with the triple pack. 9 cymbals @ $999.99. Ive never used them so I have no clue how they sound. Theyre listed as medium weight but again I have never used Meinl products. Anyone have any feedback on those ?

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Meinl Classic Customs are definitely not a step up. Those are basically "beginner-cymbals". And not really good ones IMO.

If you play Paiste already, check the market for used/new Paiste 2002. They might be something that might serve your purpose and sound-wishes. Paiste offers them as "heavy" models, too. They do sound good and are definitely very-high-quality cymbals. Listen e.g. to recordings with Keith Moon, John Bonham and Ian Paice. They (and many more prominent drummers) play(ed) the 2002 line - with much success. Legendary stuff - although not my cup of tea. :)

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
If the sound you seek is flexible enough to be within dark, bright and complex, then try the Zildjian K Custom Hybrids

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/zildjian-k-custom-hybrid-box-set?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnvfDBRCXrabLl6-6t-0BEiQAW4SRULXGOegyNRUdjE-9A5bkdtkFX5iDiOFOnAPk-EFSzBUaApuJ8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^143161975722-sku^H93171000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I use these 3x a week, and I play really hard (metal/hard rock/funk) , in fact I break a pair of sticks every week, every practice. I have yet to crack one of these cymbals and they are medium-thin or thin in weight. One of my Hybrid K's is a 19" trash smash which I use the most, it is a THIN cymbal and I have not cracked it - going on 4 years now.

I think a lot of consideration goes in to technique, cymbal height, positioning and how you strike it. I do my best to find that balance of playing hard and playing smart. I can't speak for the Sabian thins as the guys in this thread have stated, but I can speak for K's and K Hybrids.

See if you like the sounds first.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
The problem with the thin Evolutions is not really that they will crack easily if played with proper technique, I'd say, but that they just don't sound great when you hit them really hard. They will "close". They are great for light and medium strength playing (those are delicate cymbals from a musical point of view. Hi-Fidelity as some people say), they can stand some harder playing but hard hitting will make them sound rather trashy. There is IMHO no point in investing more than 1000 bucks in a set of Evolutions if you only get a trashy sound out of them afterwards.

Moejo

Thank you all for your input. I decided to go with less cymbals to start but go with some quality. Decided on Paiste Signature Precision Heavy Ride 22", Paiste Signature Precision Heavy Crash 20", Paiste Signature Precision Heavy Crash 18", and Paiste Signature Precision Sound Edge Hi-Hats 14". . I played alphas on my last kit and they were really decent cymbals for the price so I hope for the cost of these Ill get the sound im looking for with the higher end cymbals! I was going to go with the 2002 crashes but I have been researching all day and I am going to go with the Signature Precision series. Thank You again for all your input!!!!

Last edited: