HHX Groove ride or Legacy Heavy ride

aouellet

sorry I know there already a few threads about those cymbals but, cant find any answers to my questions, or it is not very clear...

On your experience, between the GR and Legacy HR which one has the more cutting bell? and which one has the most stick definition (ping) on the bow?

thx!

I have no experience with these cymbals live, but after watching a few videos it seems like the Legacy has more of a cutting bell. the Groove Ride's bell seems a bit more dry. I personally like the overall sound of the Groove Ride better though.

roncadillac

Not much experience with those unfortunately but I did have the pleasure of playing a 22" HH Heavy ride that was hands down the nicest cymbal I ever played. It was at a studio I was recording at and I even offered the owner to buy it (turned me down with a smile on his face lol). It had a cutting bell, fantastic edge crash, and plenty of ping in the middle but, more importantly, it blended those three 'zones' flawlessly. I am someone who prefers one cymbal that does everything instead of ten cymbals that do one thing and being able move so seamlessly around that cymbal opened up sonic possibilities I never thought possible from one cymbal.

I'm sure someone will jump on here and tell me I am an idiot but I would happily use that cymbal on a jazz gig just as much as a metal gig.

C.M. Jones

I'm sure someone will jump on here and tell me I am an idiot but I would happily use that cymbal on a jazz gig just as much as a metal gig.
Far from being an "idiot," you're refreshingly enlightened. Every cymbal maker, like every drum maker, wants you to purchase a different setup for every genre you play. In-the-know drummers shun such marketing, There's no such thing as a cymbal better suited for rock than jazz or the other way around. A confident drummer chooses a sound and runs with it. His sticks take over from there.

aouellet

Far from being an "idiot," you're refreshingly enlightened. Every cymbal maker, like every drum maker, wants you to purchase a different setup for every genre you play. In-the-know drummers shun such marketing, There's no such thing as a cymbal better suited for rock than jazz or the other way around. A confident drummer chooses a sound and runs with it. His sticks take over from there.
Totaly make sense!