Hey Rush Fans...

What about Mike Portnoy: a massive Rush/Peart fan who loves working as a chameleon supporting multiple projects. He has the chops & ability to play in odd time signatures but whose playing has settled down a bit in his post-Dream Theatre days.

Also a bit of a curveball, but what about a Dennis Chambers? Massive groove and chops to spare. He can easily drive a band or lay back. He has excelled in fusion/prog outfits like Niacin or CAB and would add a really awesome element.

I'd vote Gavin Harrison...he seems the closest to composing parts that are inventive yet stay out of the way of the songs movement...many others I have heard proposed have a hard time staying out of the way of a song.

I think a newly intro'ed drummer would be more fun.

I hope they avoid the revolving door of drummer try-outs and select for their (ged, alex and the prospective drummer) desire not marketing...thats the formula that seems to work!

I'd vote Gavin Harrison...he seems the closest to composing parts that are inventive yet stay out of the way of the songs movement...many others I have heard proposed have a hard time staying out of the way of a song.

I hope they avoid the revolving door of drummer try-outs and select for their (ged, alex and the prospective drummer) desire not marketing...thats the formula that seems to work!
I think Gavin would be a good choice, too. I could really see them going in some interesting directions with him!

I agree. Another “new guy” that takes them in heretofore new, unheard of trajectory of music. My hope is that it stays a trio, too. The Lee/Lifeson sound sculpting is a thing of beauty.

I hope, if they do this, they approach it as a new thing...and ignore their own hype...and desire to tap into their previous fame...I bet they could surpass what they have done as they have grown so much...but only if they find joy in it.

I hope, if they do this, they approach it as a new thing...and ignore their own hype...and desire to tap into their previous fame...I bet they could surpass what they have done as they have grown so much...but only if they find joy in it.

I feel like this is exactly what they would do...for many reasons.

I think Gavin Harrison would be a phenomenal candidate, but some unorthodox names have been mentioned and along those lines I think Josh Freese might be really superb.

Well Mike Portnoy is the obvious choice but, personally I would like to see them play with someone outside the box - not a NP clone ? but that's just me...

Would be something to hear all the xenophobic & misogynistic statements made if they partnered with an Asian school girl musical prodigy.

Keeping it Canadian, Emmanuelle Caplette.
I really like this idea. Like a whole lot.

Guess I should answer my own question. While the first person to pop into my head was Vinnie, I dont really think he is the right guy. So I'm going with Dave Lombardo or Danny Carey.

Geddy and Alex are two of the nicest and most level headed guys in the music business. I can't see a pairing of them and the wife beater.
By suggesting Deen for a fantasy gig on a public forum I wasn’t in any way condoning his past behaviour; I’m sorry if you thought that was the case. The guy clearly and very publicly hit rock bottom and behaved in a despicable way. He’s expressed deep remorse for his actions and seems to be on a good path these days.

By suggesting Deen for a fantasy gig on a public forum I wasn’t in any way condoning his past behaviour; I’m sorry if you thought that was the case. The guy clearly and very publicly hit rock bottom and behaved in a despicable way. He’s expressed deep remorse for his actions and seems to be on a good path these days.

I don't think he'll be playing anytime soon. He's laid up w/ back surgery & recuperation.

Regarding his violent past, some may give him another chance and others may not care if he never works again.
</derail>

I still think a 6-10 piece band w/ Alex & Geddy would be awesome.

I don't think he'll be playing anytime soon. He's laid up w/ back surgery & recuperation.

Regarding his violent past, some may give him another chance and others may not care if he never works again.
</derail>
Even without that part, I don't think his personality would jive with Geddy and Alex. Musically, it would be insane, and I'd be in the front row to see it if it happened, but I don't think that would ever end up happening.
I still think a 6-10 piece band w/ Alex & Geddy would be awesome.
Horns & percussion? Any keyboard?
Rush had a string section come out for part of the show during the Snakes and Arrows tour.

I could totally see Geddy and Alex doing something along similar lines to keep it from being another 3pc.

honestly, I would love to see them get into a straight out rock type group...al la High N' Dry era old Def Leppard or Tesla....but NOT be the song writers...playing someone else's stuff, but just tearing it up in that style...Alex and someone else on guit, Ged on bass, drummer and smoking lead singer...

honestly, I would love to see them get into a straight out rock type group...al la High N' Dry era old Def Leppard or Tesla....but NOT be the song writers...playing someone else's stuff, but just tearing it up in that style...Alex and someone else on guit, Ged on bass, drummer and smoking lead singer...

Imagine Aimee Mann picking up vocals for the new group. :unsure:

Back