Hey Joe - Alternate Versions??

Hewitt2

Hey-O!

So I am auditioning with a rock band this weekend, and Hendrix's Hey Joe is on the set list. I fiercely hate the song, but more to the point, I've never been comfortable keeping up with Mitch Mitchell's frenetic playing style on the song. Not sure if there is a less bombastic and more laid-back approach you recommend, recognizing that Mitchell's parts are iconic and really push the mood.

I haven't played with anybody since this COVID mess happened and I don't know if I trust myself to be nailing 32nd notes and 16th note triplets with the level of edge-of-your seat abandon Mitchell's template demands.

Other than that one song, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances. Although Kiss' I was Made for Lovin' You is also on the docket and I'll be doing my damndest trying to rein in my inner Carmine Appice from Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm sexy" video. Sadly, no disco poses this time around. :)

It's everyone who played the tune, except the guy who wrote it. :ROFLMAO:

It's important to be sure if the band is really doing the Hendrix version, or the uptempo radio "hit" by the Leaves, and to know how authentic they need the parts.

If it's Hendrix and they just want to convey the vibe rather than nail every note, you can back off on the fireworks a bit. It's easy enough to imply the busy-ness without beating your brains out and trying to memorize every part. If it's the Leaves' version, one listen should give you the intro, arrangement, and basic fills (lots of 16ths on the snare if memory serves...)

But if they want to nail Jimi's version, you'll have some work to do!

And if you're not sure, I suggest getting as close to the orignal as possible - you can never go wrong with that approach. :)

Good luck with the audition!

It's important to be sure if the band is really doing the Hendrix version, or the uptempo radio "hit" by the Leaves, and to know how authentic they need the parts.

If it's Hendrix and they just want to convey the vibe rather than nail every note, you can back off on the fireworks a bit. It's easy enough to imply the busy-ness without beating your brains out and trying to memorize every part. If it's the Leaves' version, one listen should give you the intro, arrangement, and basic fills (lots of 16ths on the snare if memory serves...)

But if they want to nail Jimi's version, you'll have some work to do!

And if you're not sure, I suggest getting as close to the orignal as possible - you can never go wrong with that approach. :)

Good luck with the audition!

yeah the set list says hey joe by Jimi Hendrix so I think there is at least a subconscious expectation I pull off the parts as closely as possible.

Back