Here we go again...

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
...same ol' same ol'. Let me start by saying I love the new band I'm in. But geez, sometimes it gets to me. As drummers we have the job of laying down the groove and driving the band.

But what I continually hear - from guitar players everywhere - when asking a guitar or bass player to describe what it is they want, what groove, is "I don't know, I'm not a drummer, but it's kinda like..." then they go on using their hands to simulate playing a drum kit and try to tell me what they want. Usually they end up saying "...it's kind of like that."

I'm supposed to know what they are trying to tell me.

And guitar players who don't know the difference between a quarter note and an 8th note. I was told to "slow it down" a little. I was playing a standard rock beat - 8th notes on the hats, snare on 2 and 4, bass on 1 and 3 to fit an original song. I slowed the tempo down.

I was then told it's still too fast. I slowed down even more. Only when I inquired HOW they want the groove played, I realized they were telling me in guitar-speak to use quarter notes.

Only when I demonstrated the quarter note groove was I told "THAT'S IT!! DO THAT!!"

Sigh.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have a bandleader who's an accomplished songwriter, pianist, guitarist, and producer.... and he has the same issue. What we found is that if he programs a beat, pattern, or fill on his drum machine program on his Mac and emails it to me ahead of the rehearsal, it cuts down so much on the confusion. Of course, we found this out through trial, error, and lots of frustration.... but let's not get into that.

TheGuyFromFoghat

I was then told it's still too fast. I slowed down even more. Only when I inquired HOW they want the groove played, I realized they were telling me in guitar-speak to use quarter notes.

Only when I demonstrated the quarter note groove was I told "THAT'S IT!! DO THAT!!"

Sigh.
It's shit like this that makes me thankful my guitarist's first instrument was drums.