Here we go again...the "dumb" drummer....

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Here we go again…the perception of “the drummer is a knuckle-dragger”…. “Me hit things!”

Geez I hate that!!!

An experimental Celtic / Folk / Symphonic band I am in has violins, harps, singers, drummers, percussionists, guitar players, a piano player, flutes, etc. Our harp player who also teaches music in the local school district is good friends with my youngest daughter's music teacher. He annoyed the sh*t out of me at a recent rehearsal.

We were doing a new piece one of the singers introduced. I had no music, never heard of the song, etc. She wanted some light drums on the song. OK. You got ‘em. I asked what time signature it’s in: 4/4, 3 / 4, 6/8, 12/8, etc. That will give me some idea on what rhythm to play. Fair question, right?

She replied “Common”. OK, cool. 4/4 I thought. No problem! I cut my drumming teeth in 4/4 and 6/8.

The harp player turns to me and says : “that’s 4/4”.

Ok, my usual jovial self at rehearsal wanted to turn into the incredible hulk and punch the guy! I wanted to scream “No Sh*t!! Really!!??!! Dang!! All this time…!!!!”

And how many times have you heard me play recently, Mr. Harp player? Yeah, ok, I thought so…..

Um…..…dude, I can read music, ok? And I can improvise with the best of them. Can you? Hey guess what there Hoss? I can also sight-read too!! Gimme a chart and you’ve got drums! I can even tell you where the term “Common time ” came from and why it was called “Common time”. Granted my drums are tuned a bit different than the melodic scale, but that is individual preference and style, not because I’m an ignorant “knuckle-dragger”.

I then proceeded to calm down a bit and regaled him with my knowledge of time, note values, music genres. I sort of threw in my experience with composer John Rutter’s totally complex arrangement of “When the Saints go Marching In”, etc.

By the end of the night he was asking ME for advice! Haha! I loved it. “Me knuckle-dragger!” haha! Yeah, sure………

Thought y’all would find that interesting.

Ok, my usual jovial self at rehearsal wanted to turn into the incredible hulk and punch the guy! I wanted to scream “No Sh*t!! Really!!??!! Dang!! All this time…!!!!”

Why did that get under your skin so bad? Sounds like he was trying to be helpful.

When he said it, did he sound like Perez Hilton or something?

woo-sah, RD, woo-sah. Breathe in. Breathe out. Maybe the harpist just meant it as a joke? I'm like that with my employees sometimes, they'll ask a question and i'll respond with "A-ffirmative... that means 'yes' "

Yep, I probably over reacted. It was one of those times where I was dead tired, I didn't want to drive 1 hour to the rehearsal, unload the drums, blah, blah, blah.

He's usually a real quiet fellow, unassuming, etc. Not the kind to be a smart aleck.

His teacher instincts were probably just coming out. Probably a harmless gesture meant to help.

You all are 100% correct. I need to let it go and not be bothered with it.

If he didn't say it rudely, then I'd say he was looking for a laugh.....like, hey, "common" is dumb*#@'s way of saying 4/4....sounds like he was takin' a pop at her.

Lame. When you feel like you have something to prove to people you arent making music anymore. Who honestly cares? He was probably just trying to help. I try to over-react to stuff, burning bridges is not something Im into. Im into gigs. As many as I can get.

"Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity." Lao Tzu

I always find it hilarious because most drummers that I know can play MANY other instuments such as guitar and keys but most guitar, bass, and ESPECIALLY horn players can't play a single lick on the drums. Anytime a flare up like yours happens, I am quick to show them a part on their instrument played well.

Here we go again…the perception of “the drummer is a knuckle-dragger”…. “Me hit things!”

Geez I hate that!!!

An experimental Celtic / Folk / Symphonic band I am in has violins, harps, singers, drummers, percussionists, guitar players, a piano player, flutes, etc. Our harp player who also teaches music in the local school district is good friends with my youngest daughter's music teacher. He annoyed the sh*t out of me at a recent rehearsal.

We were doing a new piece one of the singers introduced. I had no music, never heard of the song, etc. She wanted some light drums on the song. OK. You got ‘em. I asked what time signature it’s in: 4/4, 3 / 4, 6/8, 12/8, etc. That will give me some idea on what rhythm to play. Fair question, right?

She replied “Common”. OK, cool. 4/4 I thought. No problem! I cut my drumming teeth in 4/4 and 6/8.

And how many times have you heard me play recently, Mr. Harp player? Yeah, ok, I thought so…..

Um…..…dude, I can read music, ok? And I can improvise with the best of them. Can you? Hey guess what there Hoss? I can also sight-read too!! Gimme a chart and you’ve got drums! I can even tell you where the term “Common time ” came from and why it was called “Common time”. Granted my drums are tuned a bit different than the melodic scale, but that is individual preference and style, not because I’m an ignorant “knuckle-dragger”.

I then proceeded to calm down a bit and regaled him with my knowledge of time, note values, music genres. I sort of threw in my experience with composer John Rutter’s totally complex arrangement of “When the Saints go Marching In”, etc.

By the end of the night he was asking ME for advice! Haha! I loved it. “Me knuckle-dragger!” haha! Yeah, sure………

Thought y’all would find that interesting.

Dude, you sound like you're wound a little tight. Are you sure you're not a guitarist?

Haha! great cartoon, Pollyanna!

Yep, I probably was wound a bit tight there. And I didn't think of this before, but he may have been taking a shot at the singer and her "common" time. Haha!

Man, that's what I like about Drummerworld. You guys are totally honest, fair, helpful, truthful, etc. When someone is or was out of line, you tell 'em that!!

He was trying to be helpful. But he inadvertantly insulted you a little. Best you could have done with that at the time is joke about it. Like maybe say something like...Captain Obvious strikes again!

Or... be graceful and just say "Got it!"

Not EVERY affront to your dignity has to be met with aggression.

Yeah, stuff like that used to bug me. Any groups I have played with for awhile realize I know my stuff musicwise, but sometimes at the start of bands stuff like that happens. I just let it go now, b/c I am confident in my playing & sometimes know more than these so called "melodic" instrument players. If a guitar solo has a 30 or 40 notes in the span of 2 seconds, I'm not sure how melodic that really is.

Yeah, stuff like that used to bug me. Any groups I have played with for awhile realize I know my stuff musicwise, but sometimes at the start of bands stuff like that happens. I just let it go now, b/c I am confident in my playing & sometimes know more than these so called "melodic" instrument players. If a guitar solo has a 30 or 40 notes in the span of 2 seconds, I'm not sure how melodic that really is.

Melodic is an overrated term anyway. Death metal ain't melodic, but that doesn't mean it doesn't kick ass.

death metal is very melodic.. or at least, melodic death metal is! ;)

Rogue, I think your response was great! Decades of idiot remarks and being treated as lowly by the melodic types, the harp player throws on the last straw, and whammo! I love it.

Back