Help with Setup for Auxiliary Items

mattmc3287

I need ideas for how to include the variety of auxiliary items I have into my kit. The items I have are a 10 in popcorn snare, woodblock, tambourine, and a cowbell. All of them are able to attach via a 3/8 inch rod. I have a few different pieces of hardware that will allow me to mount each to my hi-hat stand, but I can't figure out how to get more than one item attached with any of the hardware I have and I damn sure am not going to get all 4 items attached to my hi hat stand (nor would I want to). So, what solutions do you suggest for this? I am attaching a photo of my kit so you can see what my setup is for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• drums 3.PNG
    drums 3.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
An old friend of mine loves giant sets and mounted a cowbell and tambourine on little stands he welded that allowed mounting pedals, and kept them next to his left bass drum.

so for me, that kind of stuff finds it's way to a place depending on how I would use it...

currently, I have a cowbell to the right, and just about level with my hi hat: because there are some grooves I am working on where I split duties with my left hand between the HH and cowbell...and it also allows me to use my right hand for regular grooves if I need; it is mounted via an extra mini boom attached to a cymbal stand via clamp

when i use an extra snare, it is always to the left of my HH, and far enough away that I can "tag" it on off beats when I need to. I rarely use it as a second main back beat snare. I sits in an extra snare stand

Couple of things jump out from your picture.....Huge gap between T2 and your ride for things mounted off the bd hoop, and also your far right crash - you have the stand miles out and the cymbal boomed in - bring the stand in close and boom it out then the upright would be close enough to add a small clamp/rod and have stuff over/between your FT's.

Couple of things jump out from your picture.....Huge gap between T2 and your ride for things mounted off the bd hoop, and also your far right crash - you have the stand miles out and the cymbal boomed in - bring the stand in close and boom it out then the upright would be close enough to add a small clamp/rod and have stuff over/between your FT's.

tetris!!!!

Try adding a few cymbal boom attachments around your kit. The lower portion of the tilter works as a 9.5mm / 3/8" percussion mount.

I prefer to keep atleast tambourine separate so it doesn't jingle when you hit the cowbell.
I'd like to mount this off my hats, but have ran into that problem. Which is sometimes a nice sound and fits, but definitely isn't a sound I want to always have.

What I would suggest is to continue to mount your popcorn snare off your hi-hat. Get a boom stand (doesn't have to be super expensive or heavy-duty) with a percussion mount or a cymbal boom attachment arm clamped to it. Mount the tambourine on the cymbal boom tilter; this will allow your tambourine to float in close to the hi-hats. Mount the block on the secondary mount. Finally, get a hoop mount percussion rod for your cowbell (you have all the space in the world for it).

Back