Help with Pro-MArk sticks

ahriman22

I just bought a pair of Pro-Marks and I really like them, however I noticed something odd... They said they are 808L, and that means nothing to me, can somebody probably explain what "808L" means?

The Big Beat

oh no, i see the 808L are the ian paice signatures. i see. Sorry, i dont really know what that means.(wow im alot of help right? sorry) anyways, does anyone actually know what it means?

R

Royal

I just bought a pair of Pro-Marks and I really like them, however I noticed something odd... They said they are 808L, and that means nothing to me, can somebody probably explain what "808L" means?

Pro Mark 808L...Ian Paice signature sticks: ..Hickory

Many years ago, the "A" indicated Orchestra meaning that stick was suitable for orchestral uses. The "B" stood for Band, indicating it was suitable more for a dance band application. The "S" stood for Street, meaning parade or marching use. Those designations, while still in use (2B, 5A, 5B, 7A, 2S for example), don't really mean so much anymore.

Can anyone please enlighten us further?

The Big Beat

could it just be the serial number or numerical designation of the stick rather than the size?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Royal is spot on with his explanation. I was looking at sticks today at my Ma and Pa today and there are a lot of Signature sticks with just code numbers. They aren't coded in the normal s, b, a, format.

Ainulindale

Gold Member
could the numbers - 747, 808, 412, 720, etc... be related to weight and/or diameter? even if its just a code of some kind? not sure myself...

TenPastTen

Silver Member
They are 808L because they are 808 "longs". An extra 1/8" over the 808N or 808W.