Help with lug replacement for 1980 Tama 8055 Mastercraft steel 5x14 snare, Imperialstar on badge

timmdrum

Gold Member
I have one of these, identified via https://www.tama.com/usa/support/catalogs/news_file/file/1980General_Catalog4_09.jpg, serial # 152237. (Per the 1981 catalog, the lugs were updated.) One of the lugs has both mount posts (is that what they're called?) broken completely off; the others are intact. Might any of you have a lead on an authentic or authentic-looking lug- i.e. was this a fairly generic Japanese part that Tama sourced or is it their proprietary design? Either way, I realize they're long discontinued by Tama, but I've also searched several other builder sites to no avail. Is locating another to raid it for parts my only solution, other than buying a new close-but-not-identical lug?

If this drum is somewhat valuable, I'd like to get an authentic part for it; if not, I'll replace it with whatever fits the post hole spacing- maybe even replace them all.

Bump! Does anyone know if newer Tama lugs of this size (according to their parts catalog, hole spacing of 48.5mm) will fit this drum? I can't find the specs of the original lugs anywhere; I've emailed Tama but haven't gotten a response yet. As I'm writing this, I guess I need to know the distance from the shell to the receiver nut as well... I'd like to use the SLP tube lug.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, this is expensive... I'll mull it over. I found a set of 3 on eBay but the seller told me they'd apparently been sold and the auction post didn't get updated (it was from a music store, I think), so she apologized and took the post down. Per my reply to my OP above, I've changed my mind and I'm not adverse to replacing them all with a different lug; if I keep it to play, I don't care much if the parts are all original, since it doesn't seem to be particularly valuable.

Where are you? I'm in the UK and I'm fairly sure I have 5 or 6 of them in a jar at home, complete with mounting screws and spacers and all in good condition as they haven't been on a drum in 20yrs.

Oh, wow! I'm in the US, east coast. How much would you want for them? Please assist in conversion to USD, as I haven't done a lot of international commerce. Wonder how pricey the shipping would be? :oops:

Update: I ended up ordering 10 used Swingstar lugs (4 from one seller that arrived today, 6 from another arriving Monday), approx. $60 total. 4 installed today, the rest upon arrival. I like the look of these better anyway (that "bridge" gap lines up with the space between rings of small beads around the shell), and since the old ones are infamous for being so fragile, I bet it won't hurt the value of the drum much to be non-original.

Tama Mastercraft.jpg

Last edited:
The rest of the lugs arrived, assembly is finished, and it sounds awesome- even with the worn-out head that someone's kid scribbled on...! :)

PXL_20210308_224022577.jpg
PXL_20210308_224000674.jpgPXL_20210308_223929414.jpg

Last edited:
Back