Help with Gibraltar Cymbal Boom Arm Retrofit/Conversion

MrLeadFoot

Silver Member
I'm looking to retrofit my Gibraltar SC-4425B-1 and SC-4425MB boom arms with some new short boom rods that have brake tilters or some other type of tilters that would provide more adjustment than the ratchet tilters I have now. The reason I'm looking to retrofit instead of replace the entire cymbal boom arm assembly is because the angle adjusters on these particular downtubes appear to be much smaller than anything else I can find, and since I configure them as straight arms and "fly" them off of 52" vertical rack uprights via angle-adjustable rack clamps, the lower profile adjusters make for a cleaner look. (If anyone knows of other downtubes with low-profile adjusters, I'm all ears.)

Something else to note is that I use Camber T-tops on my cymbal seats because I like my cymbals to move freely, and for quick setup and breakdown. In case you don't know what a T-top is, a T-top screws on in place of a standard wing nut.

Regarding short boom rods, in the Gibraltar brand there appears to be two models, the SC-SBRA-BT and the SC-SBBT-TP. Now, someone on here once mentioned that the Gibraltar brake tilters tend to slip. Is that true? If so, I believe that rules out the SC-SBRA-BT, since it doesn't look like this model includes the drum key for locking position, as shown here:
SC-SBRA-BT non Swing Nut version

Can someone please confirm whether or not the model above does or doesn't include a position lock key?

If the model above does not have a position lock, and Gibraltar brake tilters indeed have a tendency to slip, then if I want to go Gibraltar that leaves me with the SC-SBBT-TP, which has the drum key lock, as shown here:
SC-SBBT-TP

I understand you can adjust tension of the Swing Nut seat, but if I end up not being able to get the looseness I want, I'd like to know if I can remove the Swing Nut at the top and use a T-top instead. I guess I might me asking if the Swing Nut itself threads onto 8mm (or 6mm) threads like a standard wing nut would. Could someone with a Swing Nut please check for me?

Of course, I can get Tama boom rods with brake tilters, as they would fit the Gibraltar down tube. Tamas don't have position locks. Does anyone know if they hold well?

Which begs the question: Did Gibraltar have to resort to brake locks because they can't get theirs to hold? Should I consider their 360 degree tilter instead, that utilizes a ball and clamp design? I have that design on my one leg snare basket and it never slips. Plus, I might get more adjustability? Or, does the bulk of the design cause cymbals to hit them? Anyone have experience with these? Or, should I skip Gibraltar altogether for this particular application?

I did consider Pearl Gyro Locks on boom rods, as I love the two I have, but they might be a bit overkill and bulky for this application given that the cymbals are only 13" and 15". Besides, Gyro Lock tilters alone cost $60 apiece, and I would still have to buy rods separately to put them on. Not only are they designed to fit 12mm rods, not the current standard 12.7mm, I want a short rod, and from I have discovered, these are not easy to find. As far as I know, the easiest to source would be a rod from the Ludwig Atlas line. Then there's the potential nightmare that might arise from mixing parts from different sources.

I would greatly appreciate answers to the questions I asked, and any other comments, thoughts, or suggestions.

Last edited:
There's a lot to digest there but I can assure you that brake tilters don't slip. There's a wing nut and a square head tightener as a redundency. I don't even bother tightening it. But if you do there is no way that tilter is slipping.

Last edited:
Ok, then I guess that I should view that "square head" nut on the Gibraltar as being similar to a memory lock. Nice to know, thanks. As far as the Swing Nut goes, can that top unscrew and be replaced with a standard wingnut?

You could say that, yes. I fold my tilter for transport but if you wanted to preserve your tilter angles you could tighten that down to make sure it doesn't move if ever the wing nut came loose.

I don't own any stands/arms with Swing Nuts so I can't help you there.

Back