Help with custom snare needed.

Hey there everyone.Hope all is well.
Well i've been reading up the forum for some time now but now i am a proud member so thanks for having me.
I've got a bit of dilemma on my hands.I would like a custom snare made for me from scratch and leaving all the rest of the details out I'd like to ask people who are in the know about my wood choice.The thing is I want it to be a stave snare with a walnut and oak mixture(cause i like the specs of both woods) but i've never actually seen or heard one with such a wood blend.My question is would this really work out or am I being too exotic?
I appreciate your time guys.
Thank you so much!

kyle

Try it with something cheap first, that way, you get to work out the kinks and don't have to work them out on your first drum.

C

Crazy8s

You will get a little blend of both sounds, but both of those woods are pretty similar to each other. They also look similar to each other, so the aesthetics are going to be milder.

I think you should give it a shot if you would like the sound of both wood types in one drum!

uniongoon

Gold Member
i have spent the last 3 or 4 days learning stave consruction. Today i had my first successful cherry wood shell. My next one is going to be walnut. You tube has tons of tutorials. if you dont have the equipment, good tablesaw, router and table, lathe, it can still be done by hand, but it would be really painful.

stavebuilder

Exotic, no. Both are domestic woods. the sound you get out of a drum has just as much if not more to do with the bearing edges, had choice, and shell dimensions than the wood choice. Keep in mind just because you mix two different types of wood in a shell, that does not necessarily mean the attributes that you want will come out equally in the sound of the the finished drum. I'm sure it would sound fine, but it might not be the sound you're expecting.

Exotic, no. Both are domestic woods. the sound you get out of a drum has just as much if not more to do with the bearing edges, had choice, and shell dimensions than the wood choice. Keep in mind just because you mix two different types of wood in a shell, that does not necessarily mean the attributes that you want will come out equally in the sound of the the finished drum. I'm sure it would sound fine, but it might not be the sound you're expecting.
Well the thing i like about these wood is the attack of oak and the mildness of walnut.As far as the set up goes i like evanas genera coated on the batter and genera 300 on the reso side of things.i like the sound with 20 strain snares as well.Die cast hoops.14x6,5 in size.What i'm looking for is a snare drum which could be both mild but with great attack if needed.And i want this snare to be well....mine if you know what i mean.Basically i like the sound of walnut,rosewood and oak.But i'm not too sure of the best way to mix and match them.So any help is appreciated.
Thanks once again guys.