Help with Brian Blade ride pattern

Abhishek_K

Hi folks,

I'm trying to learn this wonderful tune by the Brian Blade fellowship:

The ride patterns starts from 1:00 onwards essentially. I can see that in the early bridge kind of section, he's doing a kind of 6 over 4 feel on the ride.

But between 1:15 to 1:30, I can't quite feel how's placing the notes. Is it a swing kind of feel? Or sixteenth note triplets? He also brings in the bell in places and I don't know where that falls.

Can anyone help with some transcription, just for those 15 seconds?

Thanks!

ZackP

Song sounds in 12/8 to me and he’s doing two notes per beat. If you count it like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 it sounds like he hits the bell on lots of ands.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
After the drums come in at ~1:00 it's easier to just count it in 6/4, so the sd backbeat is on 4. That would make the cymbal rhythm just quarter notes and 8th notes. That dotted quarter note rhythm at the beginning is never really the predominant pulse after the intro.

MntnMan62

I agree that is sounds to be in 6/4. And for that stretch it sounds like he's playing straight 8th notes on the cymbal.

Soulfinger

It´s in 6/8, and the ride pattern is in eights and sixteenths, starting with: 1 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 6 - lots of variations afterwards.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
It's in 12/8 (or in 6/8, which is about the same), and the ride pattern is in eights and sixteenths, like Soulfinger said.
12/8 is rarely covered in drum books, and there's a whole section in 12/8 in my own Time Manipulation Drum Book. It is pretty complete with polyrhythms, and you will easily understand what's going on in Brian Blade's tune if you study it.

Last edited: