Help, very painful groin after drumming

slw987

Hi,

I am new and I need some advice with a rather personal problem. I am a female drummer and following any fast drumming on the bass drum my groin on the right side hurts so bad my leg gives way. I have been drumming for 6 years, however, I am still a beginner really due to limited time practicing due to a very stressful and busy career, but I have recently bought a new e kit for use at home and after a 2 year break mainly due to this problem, have found it has come back. Not had a problem whilst not drumming btw.

I am a stomper with fast songs and wonder if its my technique. I have found from reviewing posts on this site my throne height could need adjusting and that has helped. Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Hi,

I am new and I need some advice with a rather personal problem. I am a female drummer and following any fast drumming on the bass drum my groin on the right side hurts so bad my leg gives way. I have been drumming for 6 years, however, I am still a beginner really due to limited time practicing due to a very stressful and busy career, but I have recently bought a new e kit for use at home and after a 2 year break mainly due to this problem, have found it has come back. Not had a problem whilst not drumming btw.

I am a stomper with fast songs and wonder if its my technique. I have found from reviewing posts on this site my throne height could need adjusting and that has helped. Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.
First allow me to welcome you to the forum.

I have two pieces of advice that may help.

It may sound weird and unnecessary, but you should start stretching before you play. I imagine that, alone, should alleviate most of your issue.

If that doesn't work, I would look into changing your setup in a way so that you don't have to spread your legs so far. For instance, if your hat stand isn't as close to the snare as it can be without causing problems, I would move it closer. Or if you play a 14" snare, maybe look into getting a 13". An inch doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference.

EDIT: Stretch before AND AFTER you play

Last edited:

mandrew

Gold Member
Try the stretching as suggested, but it persists, I would seek medical advice right away. Pain is a sign that something is wrong.See a doctor.

BillBachman

Gold Member
I've experienced sore right inner thigh muscle and it's all a matter of conditioning. It rarely happens, but if I suddenly play a 3 hour rehearsal where everybody else is turned up and I have to lay into my bass drum to hear it, I'm sore there afterwards. Ideally the others are not so loud as to force you to over-do it, and ideally I'm playing kit enough/often enough that I'm in better shape there!

con struct

Platinum Member
Just stretch a lot, I guess. Arms and legs, hands and feet, wrists, ankles, shoulders, hips, buttocks. It sounds like something that will go away eventually.

slw987

Thank you everyone, your advice has really helped. If I am truly honest, I have never stretched before drumming, so that will be my new regime. Also thinking about it, on my e kit were my legs are not as wide apart as the kit is smaller, I don't get half as much pain as the acoustic kit, so yeah, defo time to have a think about shrinking the space between the hi hat and bass drum. As lots of you have mentioned stretching, I assume just normal stretches like you would do before exercise, or is there some specific ones particularly good for drums. Thanks again.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
When I was getting started as a drummer and joined my first band as a drummer I used to get pretty bad pains in my shins. I actually got shin splints and it took forever to heal. I went from playing guitar to playing out every weekend as a drummer. It was a painful deal for a while.

It tooka while to build up that endurance and I found that stretching was a big help. I still have to stretch out my R ankle before I play some of the more intricate bits on the kick drum because of an injury when I was 18.

con struct

Platinum Member
Be comfortable, be loose and comfortable. I've notice that runners stand in one place sort of shaking themselves down; I used to do that all the time, just stand there and let the shakes happen, from the top of my head slowly down through my whole body. It's very elegant. You feel like you're a puppet hanging from a string coming up from your head, just hanging loose from it, and then you sit at your drums, loose and strong.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Try moving around between songs; that might help too. Even if it's just to shift position on the throne.

toddmc

Gold Member
I am a stomper with fast songs and wonder if its my technique.
All the stretching advice is good but I'd have to wonder if this is your main problem.
Perhaps a lighter touch is required on the bass drum in order to keep fatigue from setting in which then causes the groin pain? (I'm no doctor/ physio by any means BTW- just taking a guess)!

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Try to notice if the throne eats into your thighs and restricts the blood flow to your legs. Adjust height and/or seating position if required. Some with this problem prefers a round throne. Not tractor seat, etc.

thx

jorn

Sparkboss

Perhaps not only stretches, but some groin specific exercises may be able to help though.

What you're feeling COULD be just stress on the muscle from using it behind the kit. Which could always cause soreness as well.

Could be minor, could be major - but unfortunately we won't be able to diagnose here :(

groove1

Silver Member
I too recommend you see a doctor because it is possibly the beginning of a hernia.
I had one and let it go way to long and ended up with major surgery instead of a much
simpler outpatient procedure.

Hopefully it isn't, but you want to make sure.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I have no real experience to relate to this, but my first thought it adjust your seat height.

And/or buy a better seat. Many/most " beginners" are sold poor quality seats that work for a kid but never really intended for adults or extended practice times.

opentune

Platinum Member
Hi,

Welcome.
Seat height is the first thing, but maybe tryout a throne seat at a music store, which helps some issues (its not for everybody). Perhaps have somebody check your technique as well.