Help to the next step

synergy

Hi guys- just a little info on me

I have been playing in my band for about a year now- we play British covers. Self taught and I am able to hold done the 40 or so songs that we play- if not on the basic side for some of them.

I have the beat and groove down on these basic 4/4 pattern and I can do some of the fills.

I have been taking lessons now for a few months and I am finding myself quite frustated as I think I am just before the point of a breakthough. If that makes sense?

What I mean is that I now trying new beats and trying to make my own fills in songs- most of the time they dont work or are slightly off etc...

I think I am just moving out of newbie into seasoned haha and wondered if any of you guys had any tips or ideas that I could focus on?

I know that for most of the last year I have not practiced as much as I should have outside of my own bands practices..... something I am now rectifying.

Just wondered if there was something in your own learning curves that could help a not so newbie- newbie

LeeLovesSabian

Silver Member
Hi guys- just a little info on me

I have been playing in my band for about a year now- we play British covers. Self taught and I am able to hold done the 40 or so songs that we play- if not on the basic side for some of them.

I have the beat and groove down on these basic 4/4 pattern and I can do some of the fills.

I have been taking lessons now for a few months and I am finding myself quite frustated as I think I am just before the point of a breakthough. If that makes sense?

What I mean is that I now trying new beats and trying to make my own fills in songs- most of the time they dont work or are slightly off etc...

I think I am just moving out of newbie into seasoned haha and wondered if any of you guys had any tips or ideas that I could focus on?

I know that for most of the last year I have not practiced as much as I should have outside of my own bands practices..... something I am now rectifying.

Just wondered if there was something in your own learning curves that could help a not so newbie- newbie
Honestly, when I first started playing, I just watched a lot of live performances and drum solo's.
I knew I didn't have enough skill to mimic them, nor do I now, lol., but It atleast helped me understand on what fills match what song types,
Eventually, you'll understand. And it will be fluid.

Also, ask your teacher to teach you to incorperate fills into original songs. Afterall, you are paying him, right?

fixxxer

I totally understand the "frustration before a breakthrough" that you speak of. This happens to me from time to time. I have learned that if I make myself practice during the times of frustration I learn more (or at least it sticks with me) almost as if the brain is more a sponge and new things are better stored into memory.
Speaking of practice, do yourself a favor and make sure that you practice without the band as much, if not more, than with them. I don't know about your band, but the cats in mine really don't want to spend time listening to me practice- they just want me to play. That feeling is mutual.
Bottom line....don't give up and push yourself. It will come.

Sounds like your good at what you do. Now you have to take your time and be patient at trying new things. A lot of new things will come to you the more you play. Stay focused on what you what to accomplish and write down some Goals so you can track your progress. And practice, you WILL get to where you want to be.

synergy

Thanks guys for the advice.

My teacher is good and is helping with things that I passed over learning myself- like rudiments etc and limb seperation etc.

I was just kind of looking for the type of stuff that anybody experience on their own learning hill.....

I know I need to put in a lot more hours then I have- but we all have commitments- work family etc etc.....

Its that trying to move from new drummer to just drummer I guess

LTNINGFan

I totally understand the "frustration before a breakthrough" that you speak of. This happens to me from time to time. I have learned that if I make myself practice during the times of frustration I learn more (or at least it sticks with me) almost as if the brain is more a sponge and new things are better stored into memory.
Speaking of practice, do yourself a favor and make sure that you practice without the band as much, if not more, than with them. I don't know about your band, but the cats in mine really don't want to spend time listening to me practice- they just want me to play. That feeling is mutual.
Bottom line....don't give up and push yourself. It will come.
Fixxer is right. You need some "you" time to work alone a little. You'll be able to relax and maybe work on some of the things your teacher is helping you with, and then spend a little time on some exercises, and then have a period where you just play what's on your mind :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Try playing along to a metronome. You cannot do this too much and if you've never done it, you need to start today. Playing what you already know, only in perfect time, is a great thing to tighten up.