Help please, Craigslist Ad

sethlowden

Craigslist Questions- Ludwig Rocker II etc.

Hi again, ran across this on the local CL...

"Ludwig Rocker II Series Drums, Heavy Duty Hardware, Deep Concert Toms and Base Drums, Toms 12 x 12 - 13 x 13 - Floor Tom 16 x 16, 14 x 5 1/2 Snare (just bought, played twice, paid $500.00), 2 - 22 x 18 1/2 Base Drums with two with 2 Pearl Chain Driven Pedals, All Xildjian Cymbals, 2 - 14 inch Hi Hats, 15-16-17-18 inch Thin Crashes, 20 inch Ride Ping, Throne, Stands, Cowbell, Sticks, Stick Holder, New Clear Remo Heads (top), New Black Remo Heads (bottom), Remo Muffles Installed in Base Drums."

So I called the guy, since I was curious about the cymbals and hardware, and maybe the snare. Sounds like he bought the whole enchilada about 25 years ago, and wants to sell it all as a package. He said the stands are double braced, and were an upgrade for that kit. Cymbals are New Beat hi-hat, Ping ride, Avedis Zildjian crashes, all bought in a cymbal pack.

One of my guiding principles is to be able to get my money back on things I am not totally convinced about, so I am always checking valuations. How is the hardware that came with these kits? I could use a decent set of stands for my cymbals to replace the hodge podge I have now. How about those pedals- I would be selling one of them and my Ludwig Speed King maybe.

Any thoughts, observations, suggestions? I sure appreciate it. I think I will go look tomorrow. Honestly was thinking about making him an offer on everything but the drums, because I really don't want them.

Oops, forgot to say, wants 700 for the whole thing.

Last edited:

longgun

Gold Member
That looks like a steal..........can't tell 100%, but the snare looks like a BB.

That and the cymbals are worth over 700 alone

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If the snare really is 5.5" deep it's certainly not a Black Beauty......or even a Supra. Ludwig have never made a spun shell in that depth. However, it's a common mistake for people to confuse a 5" deep drum as 5.5" because they tend measure the hoops as well,

Get better pics if you can. I'm not convinced it's a BB at all, more likely a 400 Supra. If that's the case, $700 for the lot should turn you a profit on the snare and cymbals alone.

wsabol

Gold Member
I'm not convinced it's a BB at all, more likely a 400 Supra. If that's the case, $700 for the lot should turn you a profit on the snare and cymbals alone.
I agree. I looks more like a 400 Sura to me. But the lighting is tricky, its so glossy/reflective its hard to determine the surface color.

In any case, if you have the money, get on it. That's a steal.

opentune

Platinum Member
Not sure , but he snare looks 8 lug to me, so likely not a Supra.
Either way though, all that for $700 a great deal, you could easily flip cymbals for that.

sethlowden

Thanks for the replies so far...

I am very curious about the cymbal stands. I was hoping for something usable, but maybe stands from that era might be kind of whacky- I can't tell from that grainy photo. Any thoughts?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Obviously, you'll need to see them to be sure. But if they've been treated well there's no reason why they wouldn't hold up today. Much of that double braced hardware was OTT at the best of times. As long as the threads are not stripped out and the stands dinged and dented from the rigours of 25 years of gigging to the point where they no longer function properly, they'll be good to go.

sethlowden

Okay, I went to an appointment nearby the location of the ad, and the person did not answer the phone. I called a bit obsessively for a couple hours and gave up. I tried twice today, and gave up after one more email. I got a reply back that I could come look tomorrow, cell phone was on the fritz- I can identify with that. Taking my daughter to car shopping in the general area and will drop in and check it out, probably buy it and take the small stuff with me and get the rest later.

I also located a photo from an ad a month ago, price was 750 then. Looks like the cymbals are in good shape, and the snare appears to be 10 lug. Floor tom may be missing lower rim 80's style.

opentune

Platinum Member
keep at it, its worth the flaky run-around. whast there is easily worth $700. dont; worry about cymabls stands, as you can easily part them out to people just looking for the odd stand, and get your money back that way.
i flip gear all the time and one can easily unload hardware more than an other item.
I've come acrosst more flakes on craigslist than anywhere.

sethlowden

Yes, maybe a bit on the flaky side, but this time we have a time set and I got his address. Sounds like a decent guy over the phone.

Oddly enough, I think this will really round out my cymbal needs, and will have spares to loan my cousin. He is teaching my nine year old drumming, but his cymbals are borrowed from his brother-in-law.

I should put up a video of my son, he is pumping the beats after 6 weeks of drumming!

sethlowden

I can't believe it, but I did connect with the seller. He was a nice guy, pretty knowledgeable, and knew exactly what he had and what it was worth. Said he has gotten lots and lots of calls, but most people wanted to separate the snare and cymbals, and he wanted to keep it all together. He said he had three more calls about it on voice mail. Not sure why he chose me to go through with the transaction.

I did not have the time or the room for all of the equipment, but paid him and took home the snare and the cymbals. The cymbals were as described, ranging from good to very good condition, edges and holes perfect. Snare is a near mint new Supraphonic, looks like to me. I am actually curious about how the drums themselves sound. I will post some pictures of all of it, and post about the set in a separate thread in the Drum section. Thanks for the help!!