Help picking new kit

What brand of kit do you own?

• Pearl

• PDP

• Tama

• Sjc

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey yall I'm new to the fourm. I'm needing some help... I have the go ahead in November from my wife to get a new kit. My budget for just a kik (shell pack or not) is around $1800,00. For the price the PDP concept maple 7 piece really sparks my interest. I have never played on a PDP. I have played on my Pearl fourm 5 piece ever since I started playing drums (at 10 years old) I'm 22 now. The other kit I was looking at was a Tama but the finishes on the kits are not my style. I'm looking at the 7 piece PDP charcoal finish on sweetwater.com

I live in a place where the closet music store with these kits is around 2-3 hours away so it's hard with a full time job to go and get behind these kits. Again I've only played on a Peral kit my whole life minus the roland at my church.

It would be great if some people with the PDP concept maples could chime in and let me know of they're good kits or not, also if there is any other kits around my price range that I could look at.

Thanks!!

Hi LPD. Take a look at Sonor AQ2 series. The only thing is you might be limited by the finishes. If you can find a Sonor Ascent set take a long look at it. It's all beech and they sound full and warm. Or if you can find a nice Slingerland from 1980 on back that would a good score.

I second that Sonor AQ2 recommendation. Might not be a better kit around for the money. Mapex Saturn, too. Either are great sounding well made high quality kits that could be taken on a world-wide tour.

You asked about the PDP kit. I'd look at the Sonor or Mapex before that PDP.

The other kit I was looking at was a Tama but the finishes on the kits are not my style.
What is your style of finish? Some here love a burst over natural wood finish, others love glitter. What's odd is it really does matter how the kit looks to the owner.

Hey yall I'm new to the fourm. I'm needing some help... I have the go ahead in November from my wife to get a new kit. My budget for just a kik (shell pack or not) is around $1800,00. For the price the PDP concept maple 7 piece really sparks my interest. I have never played on a PDP. I have played on my Pearl fourm 5 piece ever since I started playing drums (at 10 years old) I'm 22 now. The other kit I was looking at was a Tama but the finishes on the kits are not my style. I'm looking at the 7 piece PDP charcoal finish on sweetwater.com

I live in a place where the closet music store with these kits is around 2-3 hours away so it's hard with a full time job to go and get behind these kits. Again I've only played on a Peral kit my whole life minus the roland at my church.

It would be great if some people with the PDP concept maples could chime in and let me know of they're good kits or not, also if there is any other kits around my price range that I could look at.

Thanks!!
I have a Concept Maple 7 Piece and it does not sound like a $1000 drumset!! Such a good kit but a Dw Design series would do the trick as well. I’m sure this has/will be said but It also may be worth looking in to a kit used for more affordable pricing and higher end options. Good luck with the search!!!
EDIT: Tama Hyperdrive was the best sounding kit I played at Pasic18’ and would gladly recommend it. Now I want one for myself ahhhh

Hi LPD. Take a look at Sonor AQ2 series. The only thing is you might be limited by the finishes. If you can find a Sonor Ascent set take a long look at it. It's all beech and they sound full and warm. Or if you can find a nice Slingerland from 1980 on back that would a good score.
Thanks man!!

What is your style of finish? Some here love a burst over natural wood finish, others love glitter. What's odd is it really does matter how the kit looks to the owner.
This is the kit finish I was looking at. 7 piece for $999.99 and I'm getting the full set of the Menil classic dark cymbals (it wouldn't let me upload a pic) but I think it would look sweet. I like mostly anything dark or black. I wish I could find a kit with just a midnight blue and dark chrome hardware. No glitter lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190717-205140_Sweetwater.jpg
    Screenshot_20190717-205140_Sweetwater.jpg
    820.7 KB · Views: 16

Thanks!!

**** ALSO what ever kit I get I'm putting new Evan's G2 clear heads and replacing the bass heads as well

I have a Concept Maple 7 Piece and it does not sound like a $1000 drumset!! Such a good kit but a Dw Design series would do the trick as well. I’m sure this has/will be said but It also may be worth looking in to a kit used for more affordable pricing and higher end options. Good luck with the search!!!
EDIT: Tama Hyperdrive was the best sounding kit I played at Pasic18’ and would gladly recommend it. Now I want one for myself ahhhh
So you're happy with your PDP? Still using it?

This is the kit finish I was looking at. 7 piece for $999.99 and I'm getting the full set of the Menil classic dark cymbals (it wouldn't let me upload a pic) but I think it would look sweet. I like mostly anything dark or black. I wish I could find a kit with just a midnight blue and dark chrome hardware. No glitter lol
Virgin bass drum or bass + Tom mount?

Mapex Saturn V, best bang for buck out there in the price range. Build quality, bearing edges and sound are as good as kits way more expensive which is why I got one.

PDPs are ok but nowhere near the Mapex Saturns. The Mapex Armory is closer to the PDPs and they're a lot cheaper than the Saturns and include a snare. Never played one of these but I hear folk rave about them.

I’m the one Tama guy here. In that price range you can’t go wrong with a Starclassic kit. Best hardware in the biz (the Yammie guys might disagree), excellent shell design and construction.

3DSKTMCMA4_1_1024.jpg

I played a DW Design and I was impressed by the sound and look. I’m not much of a Stage Custom fan, but they are good drums. I would go with the DW Designs or the PDPs.

I personally would have a hard time paying that much money for a set of PDP's, but that's just me. Seems like you could find a set of Starclassic maple or B/B's or Saturns for that price range.

Also, what do you mean by 7-piece? 2 kicks or 1?

I would possibly ignore the kinds of finishes at this point and play on doing some black bumwrap or something if you really wanted black drums.

I'd buy by impulse-that way you will never second guess your decision-after all it was just an impulse. That gives you "ammo" for reasoning a new-er kit when you tire of this one -but this time you'll be more selective. I'm getting "antsy" (I want to try a Gretsch) for a new-er kit after the last "experimental" (wanted to try a virgin 24in kick, maple and thin shells) kit that I found in an inexpensive Pearl DecadeI I bought in 2017. So now after I made a reasoned seasoned selection I wanna go back to trying implulse and buy a Gretsch kit.

Back