Help picking new kit

What brand of kit do you own?

• Pearl

• PDP

• Tama

• Sjc

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I personally would have a hard time paying that much money for a set of PDP's, but that's just me. Seems like you could find a set of Starclassic maple or B/B's or Saturns for that price range.

Also, what do you mean by 7-piece? 2 kicks or 1?

I would possibly ignore the kinds of finishes at this point and play on doing some black bumwrap or something if you really wanted black drums.
7 piece -
Toms:
Snare:
Kick:
-----------
Also getting a Gibraltar stealth vertical mounting rack and will replace all the stock heads with Evan's G2 clears. Bass drum will have an Evan's EMAD. I honestly would go with Tama but I can not find a finish I like and I know it is about sound but this will be the drum set I will be playing on for the next at least 7 or 8 years. I was also looking at SJC I don't know much about them again because all i have ever played on is a Pearl. Lol

BonsaiMagpie

Mapex Saturn V, best bang for buck out there in the price range. Build quality, bearing edges and sound are as good as kits way more expensive which is why I got one.

PDPs are ok but nowhere near the Mapex Saturns. The Mapex Armory is closer to the PDPs and they're a lot cheaper than the Saturns and include a snare. Never played one of these but I hear folk rave about them.
I Play a Mapex armoury and it's a great mid range kit. I got one 4 years ago for cost price £480, due to a lovely retailer having problems with his supplier. It's the 6 piece rock fusion: 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 with the Tomahawk snare. It's genuinely a great kit. But if I had the choice again I would go Yamaha. Every time I hear them, I am blown away.

trickg

Silver Member
When I bought my current kit in 2006, I was looking for something that was a fairly serious kit and something I wouldn't be looking to upgrade or replace - something I figured I'd keep for a good long bit. I did a ton of research and it came down to one of a few kits:

1.) Pearl SMX Session Custom - maple
2.) Tama Starclassic Performer - birch
3.) Tama Starclasic - maple

Kits 1 & 2 were priced pretty evenly, and the maple Starclassic was a few hundred dollars more. I picked these kits based on quality, features, hardware and sound.

Ultimately I discounted the Starclassic maple due to price, mainly because I felt that the maple SMX would get me where I wanted to go for a few hundred less, and that's ultimately what I ended up with, paying $1100 for the 4 piece shell pack in "fusion" sizes - 18x22 kick, 10, 12 and 14 inch toms.

With that said, I never liked the 14x11 inch hanging tom - I never felt like I got the depth out of it that I wanted, and eventually I built a 16x14 floor tom on legs that is finished close enough to pass inspection at a glance, and sounds very very good.

If I had it to do over today based on today's offerings, I'd probably still go with Pearl, but I'd upgrade to a Masters maple - they don't seem to have much that I like in the middle ground - there are enough things skimped on with the Decade maple that it's not something I'd consider - I want hoops that are at least 2.3 mm triple flanged, (or die cast, but I'm not really a fan of die cast hoops) I'd want Pearl Opti-Mounts, and I'd want a nice wood fade finish.

This isn't to say that there aren't other great offerings out there. I've said on more than one occasion that if something catestrophic were to happen to my drums and I had to replace them quickly on a budget, I could easily find myself being perfectly happy with a Yamaha Stage Custom.

When I bought my current kit in 2006, I was looking for something that was a fairly serious kit and something I wouldn't be looking to upgrade or replace - something I figured I'd keep for a good long bit. I did a ton of research and it came down to one of a few kits:

1.) Pearl SMX Session Custom - maple
2.) Tama Starclassic Performer - birch
3.) Tama Starclasic - maple

Kits 1 & 2 were priced pretty evenly, and the maple Starclassic was a few hundred dollars more. I picked these kits based on quality, features, hardware and sound.

Ultimately I discounted the Starclassic maple due to price, mainly because I felt that the maple SMX would get me where I wanted to go for a few hundred less, and that's ultimately what I ended up with, paying $1100 for the 4 piece shell pack in "fusion" sizes - 18x22 kick, 10, 12 and 14 inch toms.

With that said, I never liked the 14x11 inch hanging tom - I never felt like I got the depth out of it that I wanted, and eventually I built a 16x14 floor tom on legs that is finished close enough to pass inspection at a glance, and sounds very very good.

If I had it to do over today based on today's offerings, I'd probably still go with Pearl, but I'd upgrade to a Masters maple - they don't seem to have much that I like in the middle ground - there are enough things skimped on with the Decade maple that it's not something I'd consider - I want hoops that are at least 2.3 mm triple flanged, (or die cast, but I'm not really a fan of die cast hoops) I'd want Pearl Opti-Mounts, and I'd want a nice wood fade finish.

This isn't to say that there aren't other great offerings out there. I've said on more than one occasion that if something catestrophic were to happen to my drums and I had to replace them quickly on a budget, I could easily find myself being perfectly happy with a Yamaha Stage Custom.
Well said! Thank you for the info!!

trickg

Silver Member
Lando, are you looking at the PDP Concept Maples because you want a 7 piece kit? I know some guys who like lots of drums, and that's fine - everyone has different approaches to how they make music, but I know that for me, in a practical sense, I almost exclusively play a 4-piece kit now. It's easier to transport, easier to set up and take down, and it costs less when it comes time to install new heads.

$1800 is a fantastic budget if you are willing to look at 3-5 piece shell packs - you'll save money if you don't get the included snare. The only time I played the included snare was the couple of years I played on my first kit, and PDP FS series birch kit. They sounded good, but there was a cheapness to the attached hardware I didn't like, and when I sold them to help pay for my Pearl SMX, the snare went with it. By that point I was already playing the DIY Keller shell maple snare I'd put together - still one of my 2 main snare drums. In any case, finding a shell-pack that doesn't have an included snare is something to consider unless you really want the matching snare.

Something else to consider, when I bought my kit, it was based mostly on reputation and what I could see with my own eyes. Sound was less of a consideration because even though I have a couple of Guitar Centers fairly close to me (one about 10 minutes from the house, the other about 40) the kits on the floor at Guitar Center are almost never set up well. They aren't tuned well, and there's absolutely no dampening or muffling anywhere. I know that some people like to run their kits wide open, but I'm not one of them, so how those drums sounded actually wasn't as big of a consideration. You've got to figure that as long as the quality is there, getting a kit to sound great is a matter of proper head selection, tuning and some strategic dampening. That's how I see it anyway.

Lando, are you looking at the PDP Concept Maples because you want a 7 piece kit? I know some guys who like lots of drums, and that's fine - everyone has different approaches to how they make music, but I know that for me, in a practical sense, I almost exclusively play a 4-piece kit now. It's easier to transport, easier to set up and take down, and it costs less when it comes time to install new heads.

$1800 is a fantastic budget if you are willing to look at 3-5 piece shell packs - you'll save money if you don't get the included snare. The only time I played the included snare was the couple of years I played on my first kit, and PDP FS series birch kit. They sounded good, but there was a cheapness to the attached hardware I didn't like, and when I sold them to help pay for my Pearl SMX, the snare went with it. By that point I was already playing the DIY Keller shell maple snare I'd put together - still one of my 2 main snare drums. In any case, finding a shell-pack that doesn't have an included snare is something to consider unless you really want the matching snare.

Something else to consider, when I bought my kit, it was based mostly on reputation and what I could see with my own eyes. Sound was less of a consideration because even though I have a couple of Guitar Centers fairly close to me (one about 10 minutes from the house, the other about 40) the kits on the floor at Guitar Center are almost never set up well. They aren't tuned well, and there's absolutely no dampening or muffling anywhere. I know that some people like to run their kits wide open, but I'm not one of them, so how those drums sounded actually wasn't as big of a consideration. You've got to figure that as long as the quality is there, getting a kit to sound great is a matter of proper head selection, tuning and some strategic dampening. That's how I see it anyway.
I figured the 7 piece would be cool just to have and switch things up. This kit will not move it will just stay in the basement. Where I am from there is hardly any bands so I cant gig with anyone also I'm pretty busy. I play at my church every sunday on a roland so I bring anything from my kit to use. My future plans is to start doing some cover videos with my new kit but that's a whole different story because I have no clue how to mic a kit or record and any of that stuff.

I also don't know much about "after market" snares. I really don't want to spend an extra $300-600 on a snare after buying a $1000-1800 kit like I said If I would be playing live with this kit it would be a different story. I can make a stock snare sound pretty decent so I would prefer just to get the matching snare.

I've look at a Mapex armory and the one on sweetwater has a snare trade in program to where if I don't like the snare it comes with I can ship it back and try a different one which sounds like a good gig. It is also $100 cheaper than the PDP concept. Idk 🤷🏽‍♀️

Hey yall I'm new to the fourm. I'm needing some help... I have the go ahead in November from my wife to get a new kit. My budget for just a kik (shell pack or not) is around $1800,00. For the price the PDP concept maple 7 piece really sparks my interest. I have never played on a PDP. I have played on my Pearl fourm 5 piece ever since I started playing drums (at 10 years old) I'm 22 now. The other kit I was looking at was a Tama but the finishes on the kits are not my style. I'm looking at the 7 piece PDP charcoal finish on sweetwater.com

I live in a place where the closet music store with these kits is around 2-3 hours away so it's hard with a full time job to go and get behind these kits. Again I've only played on a Peral kit my whole life minus the roland at my church.

It would be great if some people with the PDP concept maples could chime in and let me know of they're good kits or not, also if there is any other kits around my price range that I could look at.

Thanks!!
Okay for all you Mapex guys... is this a good kit?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's all about what you want and like. We're just gonna you our brans of choice, which in my case is this little unknown company with no legacy called Gretsch. I like the USA Customs and Broadkasters. Not really a fan of the Brooklyns.

Anyway.

There must be some sort of hint you can give in terms of your taste. With a limited budget I'd probably choose to go second hand. There are many vids on youtube these days that cam give you a pretty good idea. Combine that with some live footage from a show, maybe from one of your favourite drummers with the same kit and it should at least start giving you an idea of the general timbre.

While Stage Customs are a good buy, or Catalinas in my case since I like Gretsch so much, your budget should allow you to step up a bit from those if you should so desire. Then again, I've never been too impressed with the stock snares that came with budget kits like this. I play Stage Customs all the time, but I definetly always bring my own snare unless it's impossible to do so. If it's a regularly used house kit the snare has usually been upgraded anyway, though. I actually still have no problem using my Catalina kit, but I'm usually using a snare that costs more than the rest of the drums put together.

A good kit is the kit you personally like the sound and feel of.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I thought you wanted a 7-piece? If you back it down to a 6-piece in, there are many options.

I'd start with these:

(the price is $2k, but you could always make an offer)

There are lots of pearl masters to be had for that price

Heck, here's a set of Saturns for $1200. You would have enough $$ to get a very decent snare.

If it were me, I'd go with these:

harryconway

Platinum Member
I have a Vintage Ludwig 3 ply shell bank, 12x8, 13x9, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16, 22x14, 26x14.
A Gretsch Round Badge kit, 13x9, 16x16, 20x14.
An RMV shell bank, 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x13, 18x16 (bass drum), 22x18.
Remo Roto toms, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16.
Heck .... that Mapex Armory kit is a price you can't really argue with. Leaves you a whole boatload of money (of your $1800 budget) to play with. The PDP, $200 more gets you basically 1 more tom. All maple shell, as opposed to maple/birch ..... You can go round and round on whether people can even tell the difference between a maple or birch shell. Both kits have 8 lug 22" kicks (not 10, which you find on pricier lines). Of the two choices, I might just pull the trigger on the Mapex kit, and then buy a used Roland SPD-S or SPD-30 with the money saved from your budget ..... and have some crazy fun in that basement.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I thought you wanted a 7-piece? If you back it down to a 6-piece in, there are many options.

I'd start with these:

(the price is $2k, but you could always make an offer)
That's the first set I've seen with two toms on the bass drum with a double Atlas mount - looks great.

If it were me, I'd go with these:
You wouldn't happen to have saved a pic, would you? Whatever that set was, it's sold.