Help Picking Drum Set

STOP!
Sorry man, I reread that ad. Bass, toms and hardware only.
not worth it.
I originally thought it was the whole kit.
That's why I changed my response.
Sorry for the false alarm.

However, concerning Wildbill's comments - there has to be some stores/shops available to you. What are they carrying?

Elvis

The stores either carry high end kits like DW or very low end like Ludwig Accents and etc. They don't carry the level of drums I'm interested. But I may have found a potential winner on ebay today.

Sounds great, good luck on the auction.
That being stated, there's nothing wrong with a Ludwig Accent, but you do what you want. They are YOUR drums, after all.
Good luck!

Elvis

I would take the Tama SS over those Visions 7 days a week. Something about those visions screams cheap to me but I can't quite place it. Just order your new Tama's and be done with it already : )

Sounds great, good luck on the auction.
That being stated, there's nothing wrong with a Ludwig Accent, but you do what you want. They are YOUR drums, after all.
Good luck!

Elvis
Thanks man, and the problem I've found with the cheaper kits is they have horrible overtone.

I would take the Tama SS over those Visions 7 days a week. Something about those visions screams cheap to me but I can't quite place it. Just order your new Tama's and be done with it already : )

Well the Vision I'm looking at now is the VBL series so its a higher quality and is solid birch

Well the Vision I'm looking at now is the VBL series so its a higher quality and is solid birch

Have heard bad things about those tom mounts, I can see how they would make it tough to keep the drum in tune. Just a thought maybe someone who owns one will have more insight.

In my opinion, the ISS rack tom mounts are the downfall of the Pearl Vision series.

Dennis

Thanks man, and the problem I've found with the cheaper kits is they have horrible overtone.
Please define "overtone" as it applies to what you've written here.

Elvis

In my opinion, the ISS rack tom mounts are the downfall of the Pearl Vision series.

Dennis
The problem with the ISS mount was it was designed for the 4-ply Masters shell, which was feather light.
On anything else, you run the risk of hoop warpage, which can mess with the tuning.
This is probably why Pearl later moved to a die-cast hopp on those kits.

Elvis

Anyone know anything about the Yamaha rock tour 4 piece drum set? Its going for the same price as the silverstar on guitar center's website.

The Rock Tour is mahogany shelled.
It won't sound like a Silverstar.
The Silverstar will be brighter in tone.
It depends on the sound that you want.
I personally would take the Tama over the Yamaha in this case.

Anyone know anything about the Yamaha rock tour 4 piece drum set? Its going for the same price as the silverstar on guitar center's website.
I've played on the Rock Tour before, and it definatley is an impressive kit, our school percussion program got it to use for their winter percussion show, and it definitely has a ton of punch to it, and feels like a true rock kit. The only problem I had with it was that after all the traveling and beating we put it through, the kick got a small crack in it, but it never got any larger from when we first noticed it and didn't affect the sound.

The PDP M5 kits are good 7 ply maple shells.
They are fine sounding drums.
The snare drums that come with these kits are pretty good also with their drop throw off feature.

Well I'm still waiting for a good deal to come up. Thanks again for everyone's help. If you guys have any other advice or any suggestions let me know. Thanks again.

Don't remember if this has been mentioned, but if you run across an ad for Tama Artstar II, those are early 7 ply 100% Maple shells.
To go back even farther in time, if you run across an ad for Rogers XP-8, those are VERY early 100% 8 ply Maple shells.
Should be able to find some for a decent price.

Elvis

Well I'm still waiting for a good deal to come up. Thanks again for everyone's help. If you guys have any other advice or any suggestions let me know. Thanks again.

Get a Yamaha Stage Custom 5 piece in natural finish and be done with it. Or if you would be ok with a smaller kit if you hurry you can get a Gretsch Renown bop kit for $799. An insane deal on a near-pro level kit. I prefer used but it seems like you'd be better off getting new and not worrying about inspecting condition issues w/a used drum, etc...

Don't remember if this has been mentioned, but if you run across an ad for Tama Artstar II, those are early 7 ply 100% Maple shells.
To go back even farther in time, if you run across an ad for Rogers XP-8, those are VERY early 100% 8 ply Maple shells.
Should be able to find some for a decent price.

Elvis[/QUOTI haven't even heard of those kits so I'll definitely have to check into them. Thanks!

Back