Help Picking Drum Set

I just found a Pearl Vision Birch Artisan II shell pack bidding for just over $300, thoughts?

Put the url up so we can look at it.

Here is a link to guitarcenter..Tama SS for $599, and a Yamaha stage custon $649. both have $100 off right now by using coupon code dec 200. all the kits in the link are $500-$700 before the $100 off. Enjoy

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...s,New-Gear.gc?extup=500-700,Page-2&o=5&ipp=25

PS: this is a hell of a deal, especially if they give you the additional $100 off, Not sure if it applies to used but this is pro grade. If I did not already own one I would be all over it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...ES-5PC-WITH-RACKET-BAGS-106424846-i1898912.gc

Put the url up so we can look at it.

Here is a link to guitarcenter..Tama SS for $599, and a Yamaha stage custon $649. both have $100 off right now by using coupon code dec 200. all the kits in the link are $500-$700 before the $100 off. Enjoy

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...s,New-Gear.gc?extup=500-700,Page-2&o=5&ipp=25

PS: this is a hell of a deal, especially if they give you the additional $100 off, Not sure if it applies to used but this is pro grade. If I did not already own one I would be all over it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...ES-5PC-WITH-RACKET-BAGS-106424846-i1898912.gc

Wow I can't pass up that $499 silverstar kit, I may have found the winner lol. I had been leaning towards the silvertsatr anyways so this is just confirmation.

I need help deciding on which set I should choice. This will be my first set but I'm trying to get an intermediate level set rather than a cheaper set that includes everything. The two sets I'm considering the most right now are a Ludwig element pvc 5 piece "fusion" set and a Gretsch Energy 5 piece. Both kits are " new fusion" sizes. The Ludwig is listed for $499 and includes a solid hardware pack but not cymbals. The shells are made of both poplar and mahogany. The "power" configuration is listed for $599 and includes the same hardware. The Gretsch is listed for $699 includes hardware (minus a throne) and Sabain sbr cymbals, but I could care less about those as I'll get rid of them and upgrade immediately anyways. The Gretsch's shells are made entirely of poplar. I'm on a tight budget so I want to stay around this price range so that I can spring for some used Sabian AAX's for my cymbals. Please tell me all you can about these set, alternative similarly priced sets, what your personal experience is, and what you would do if it was your money. Thanks for the help!
Nothing wrong with "cheap" drumsets.
I gigged and recorded CB-700 and Stewart for years.
I replaced the BATTER heads with aftermarket brands/models that I preferred at that time, for whatever reason I needed them at that time.
Same with cymbals. I use what gives me the performance I'm looking for.
In the end I enjoyed a number of kits over the years for a modicum of cash invested.
As a new drummer, what you have to concentrate on are getting down the basics of tuning your drums (that doesn't only mean learning how slack you can leave the heads) and learning proper playing technique.
That being stated, check out this vid on Yamaha's Gigmaker kit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-dcaffg_g
$600 at GC, all day long....and yes, in the USA. =)

Elvis

Whatever the overall budget, the best sounding cymbals to you should be
considered first, and the remainder on shells and hardware.

Meaning, it is cheaper over time to replace shells while one retains great
sounding cymbals for continuous use.

My current kit employs a 74 Zildjian 21" Rock Ride and a 75 Paiste 18" crash
and an early 80's Zildjian 16" crash all used over the years with two sets of Ludwigs,
a Slingerland monster kit, a Pearl FG8ply kit, Yamaha SC's, and now my fake DW
PDP X7 silver badge Maples.

Since I now only play for fun/hobby/parties/old-timer Jams, I am comfortable with
my hardware/pedals(older top of the line) and they suit my needs.

Don't cheap out on your throne, makes a huge difference, especially for "seasoned" drummers.

I use G2 batters on the toms, use E rings for practice and just remove them for live play/jams, and the snares usually an ECS or a Genera batter.

In fact, my kit employs cymbals from 5 different decades. Just had to add an AAXplosion
as they sound to me(and others), as one of the best sounding crashes available these days.

Best Wishes in your search

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm still finding the Ludwig Element deals hard to pass up. I think they could sound great with good aftermarket heads. Plus they include hardware and I could focus more money on cymbals.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm still finding the Ludwig Element deals hard to pass up. I think they could sound great with good aftermarket heads. Plus they include hardware and I could focus more money on cymbals.
I went with a Ludwig 6-piece fusion shell pack myself from Greenbrier Music in the US and I love it! Shipping to Australia is always expensive (almost as much as the kit itself sometimes) but that's how it is.
Definitely the best deal at the time and exactly what I was after so no complaints.
Unfortunately I can't comment on the acoustic properties of the shells since I've only ever used them as an A2E project.

Wow I can't pass up that $499 silverstar kit,...

... I'm still finding the Ludwig Element deals hard to pass up....

Take another look at the Silverstars again. Those or the Stage Customs are my choice for a new kit in that price range. You can get decent/useable hardware packs pretty reasonably.
As others have said, you could also look around for used kits that have most of what you're looking for.

Come on man, We all told you what to look for.
Don't fall into the entry kit trap!

Take another look at the Silverstars again. Those or the Stage Customs are my choice for a new kit in that price range. You can get decent/useable hardware packs pretty reasonably.
As others have said, you could also look around for used kits that have most of what you're looking for.

Wow i never realized how indecisive I am before lol

just95,

this might worth considering - http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/msg/3427704745.html
According their website, this is their custom shop series. They can build any size/finish you want - http://www.ddrum.com/tour_tough_usa.php
Give him a call.
He falls under the CL that is local to me. If its not too far, I'd be happy to go take a gander for ya'.

Elvis

Thanks for the offer and finding a really great deal. unfortunately I live on literally the opposite side of the country(Florida) so shipping would probably cost a lot for me. But thanks again.

Guitar center has a Pearl VB Vision Birch 5 piece for $499.99 ($399.99 after coupon code). Thoughts?
link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-VB-Vision-Birch-5-Piece-Shell-Pack-365414-i1826064.gc

If you can get that kit for $399.99, that's not a bad deal. Probably would be an OK price for the 2 kits in your first post too.
But you can get a better used kit for that price.

Have you actually gone to a store and looked at and listened to some of these kits you're thinking about?

what brand kit and what type of shell works best for country music - real country, not talyor swift, carrie underwood etc.

Thanks for the offer and finding a really great deal. unfortunately I live on literally the opposite side of the country(Florida) so shipping would probably cost a lot for me. But thanks again.
ok, that's fine. Just trying to help.

Elvis

what brand kit and what type of shell works best for country music - real country, not talyor swift, carrie underwood etc.

Well I'm not that into country but I imagine a set that can be used for rock or other music could work too. All depends on the sound you want out of it really. I've passed over many sets just because of the sound. I'm sure these great forum people can help you out, they've been great to me ;)

If you can get that kit for $399.99, that's not a bad deal. Probably would be an OK price for the 2 kits in your first post too.
But you can get a better used kit for that price.

Have you actually gone to a store and looked at and listened to some of these kits you're thinking about?

Unfortunately these kits aren't available localy. I've been watching tons of videos on these kits though. I've been trying to grab not just the promo vids but any I can find to take a guess as to how they truly sound. The only kit I have first hand experience with is the Yamaha Stage Custom my church has. I've been looking used but haven't found great deals.

Well I guess there's no harm in getting a shipping quote ;) thanks for the help man, I'll check into it.
STOP!
Sorry man, I reread that ad. Bass, toms and hardware only.
not worth it.
I originally thought it was the whole kit.
That's why I changed my response.
Sorry for the false alarm.

However, concerning Wildbill's comments - there has to be some stores/shops available to you. What are they carrying?

Elvis

Back