Help Picking Drum Set

just95

I need help deciding on which set I should choice. This will be my first set but I'm trying to get an intermediate level set rather than a cheaper set that includes everything. The two sets I'm considering the most right now are a Ludwig element pvc 5 piece "fusion" set and a Gretsch Energy 5 piece. Both kits are " new fusion" sizes. The Ludwig is listed for $499 and includes a solid hardware pack but not cymbals. The shells are made of both poplar and mahogany. The "power" configuration is listed for $599 and includes the same hardware. The Gretsch is listed for $699 includes hardware (minus a throne) and Sabain sbr cymbals, but I could care less about those as I'll get rid of them and upgrade immediately anyways. The Gretsch's shells are made entirely of poplar. I'm on a tight budget so I want to stay around this price range so that I can spring for some used Sabian AAX's for my cymbals. Please tell me all you can about these set, alternative similarly priced sets, what your personal experience is, and what you would do if it was your money. Thanks for the help!

Those kits are not considered intermediate kits.
You should look at used kits like a Catalina Club or the like.
That would suit your budget better and you would get a better kit.

Tama Silverstar. Done.

^ +1.Those are some great sounding drums,and have a pretty wide tuning range.I also like the Gretsch Catalina series,and the Ludwig element kits.

But as a first kit,I still recomend buying used.A lot more bang for the buck.:)

Steve B

Where do you live. If I lived in the USA, and was starting from scratch right now, and wanting an intermediate kit, I would design my own Mydentity kit from Mapex. You would have a personalized kit, with great top end hardware, and great shells. You can even choose between Maple, birch, or a combination of the two. If you decide to get a better kit in the future, the Mydentity kit would make a great gigging kit. Glen Sobel is using his right now with Alice Cooper, along with some other pros out there.

Thanks for the help guys. I have looked at used but haven't found any great deals. I'll have to look more into the mapex and silverstar kits. I haven't given mapex much thought. Well can anyone still answer my questions about the two kits I mentioned? Just out of curiosity. And yes Bandit I am in the USA.

Have you looked at Pearl Exports? They made their 1,000,000 kit in 1995 and kept producing until a few years back. It is actually Pearl's most popular kit made and sold. Most they made are birch and mahogany or poplar (made maple which most people don't know about). They are cheap used. I'd say find a poplar kit. It's a good middle of the road wood, it gives features of both maple and birch without the big price. Also, have you tried Craiglist kits? You can find full kits with cymbals, stands and everything else for $400-$500 maybe $600. You can get great local deals. Below are things to look up on Guitar Centers website (hope your in US).

Poplar: Pearl EX, Pearl EXR (wrap finished), Pearl ELX (lacquer finished)
Mahogany Birch: Pearl Export (have tom mount on shell)
Maple: Pearl ECX

Well can anyone still answer my questions about the two kits I mentioned? Just out of curiosity.
The kits that you are looking at are entry level.
I wouldn't advise buying either of them. You will soon outgrow them and The day that you bring one of those kits home it will be worth only a few hundred dollars.
You said that you wanted an intermediate kit and your budget was fixed at about $600.
That is why you should buy used.
Look on e-Bay if there is nothing local.
You were given good suggestions of kits to look for that are up a notch from the kits that you are considering.

Thanks for the help guys. I have looked at used but haven't found any great deals. I'll have to look more into the mapex and silverstar kits. I haven't given mapex much thought. Well can anyone still answer my questions about the two kits I mentioned? Just out of curiosity. And yes Bandit I am in the USA.

Pretty sure the consensus here would be NOT to buy either of those 2 kits you mentioned.They are bottom of the barrel and you will hate em. I know Tama Silverstars and Yamaha Stage customs (much better than the 2 you have listed) are going for around your price range right now online at guitar center and they always have some kind of sale where you can get another 15% off or something..where do you live?

Well I checked into the Mapex Mydentity kits and, though they sound amazing and are beautiful, they are a little more than I want to spend. I'm really interested in the silverstar kits as I've found some doable prices on ebay. Yes I have checked my local craigslist and they were either very low end kits, very expensive, or very beat up. I keep checking but its not looking too promising. As for the silverstar kits, on the bay I found one with a buy it now price of $625 after shipping. Its in hairline black and looks amazing,but I cant find any vids of it. Anyone have thoughts on it?And lastly I live in the USA, the Florida space coast to be exact.

Many drummers get new kits for the holidays.
That means that many used kits go up for sale in Jan and Feb
Also the big music stores lower their prices in Jan and they sell off many kits on Amazon, eBay, and their own sites that are being discontinued and replaced by newer versions.

Well right now I'm leaning towards the silverstar kit. I'm gonna look around some local music shops to see what else I can find.

That eBay Silverstar is a good deal. He is even installing good heads.

The Silverstar seems like a really good choice.

But, how long have you been drumming?
If you just started, try going to a local shop,
and find some used kit for $100, cymbals and all.
It won't be super good, but something to start on and get the feel on.
That way, if it doesn't work out, you wouldn't have lost much, and if it
does, you wouldn't have spent enough cash to stop you from getting a
nice kit in a few weeks or months.

However, if you don't want to do that, that is perfectly fine.
The Silverstar is a very good option.

Listen to bobdadruma, you will!

I found some great used kits on eBay - I found a 6-piece Pearl Export kit for $350, and my current second set, a set of Tama Granstars from 1988 cost me only $350 too (and that's a pro-level kit that can take all kinds of abuse and still sound great). Definitely shop around. If you find a kit like that, you might have to pay about $100 for shipping, but it's still cheaper than what you were looking at. Just be patient and search. Used kit deals abound if you know what you're looking for.

If I were you I would definitely check out the Yamaha Stage Custom drum kits. If I had your budget and couldn't find anything used that tweaked my interest, the Yamaha kit would be a very good contender.

Dennis

If I were you I would definitely check out the Yamaha Stage Custom drum kits. If I had your budget and couldn't find anything used that tweaked my interest, the Yamaha kit would be a very good contender.

Dennis

I have been looking into them but haven't find any great deals. I do love these drums though as I've gotten to hear them very often. I'll continue to look around.

Back