Help on ride selection

Ransan

Hello I am currently looking for a ride and have found two. For anyone that has used these in specific I would appreciate input. The first is Meinl custom classic dark ride and the second is a Paiste Alpha power ride both 20”. I know they are apples to oranges, dark being obvious and the alphas having more of glassy tone with the power ride also having a good bell sound. I play rock, mainly but just not sure if they are high quality rides as I can get Sabian AA or AAX for almost the same price. Thanks for your knowledge in advance fellas! I will be deciding tomorrow or late this evening.

opentune

Platinum Member
Paiste Alpha would be great for rock, but as a 'power ride' likely kinda heavy, pingy, cutting - likely not as diverse a sound/cymbal as a Sabian AA, AAX medium ride (if you decide to play other kinds of music).
No experience on the Meinl.
Why do you need to know so soon? Take your time in choosing.

Ransan

I have been looking at these two for about a week and half and have been holding up my hardware order drum heads and atlas boom tom stand clip mount. Now that it’s Father’s Day I can elevate to cymbal addition and I just don’t want to pay shipping at 25$ twice. Thanks for the input!

microkit

The Meinl Classics Dark sound weird. Not bad, but not like other cymbals, and I don't know if they'll blend. Alpha is a cheaper line? If so, used Sabian AA and AAX are great deals. Everything I own is AA/AAX pretty much, all used, all under $100 per cymbal. I can't recommend them enough, and I like some SR2s a lot but you have to hear them in person.

Ransan

I actually went to a guitar center in pueblo and they had a Meinl ccdr in stock for $200. Was a little dead for me even the wash from crashing didn’t hold- pretty cymbal though. I guess it’s back to the drawing board I used to have a Sabian AA medium ride and did not have the sticking definition or the bell presence that I wanted. I went ahead and ordered my hardware and am going back to the drawing board. Maybe if I save a little more I will look for HH raw bell ride which is ultimately what I want.

Thanks for your input!

Lennytoons

I have a Sabian AA 20" ride that has become my main ride. I used to have a 60's Zildjian 20" that I loved. The AA sounds almost exactly like that cymbal. It's got a classic sound, not too loud and is crashable. For a pro level cymbal they are pretty inexpensive as well. I've also got a Zildjian 22" ping ride that I love...totally different sound though.

fpmr96a

I have lots of cymbals (mostly Zildjian). My favorite ride has always been a 20” Avedis Zildjian from the 60’s.

But, last week I bought a Zildjian 21” A Custom 20th Anniversary ride and it’s my new favorite cymbal overall. Great bell, awesome pingy ride sound and even sounds great for an occasional crash.

Highly recommended.

Ransan

My apologies we can close this thread. I found an AAX metal ride that I fell in love with about two weeks ago that I bought.
It has power and I love the stick definition as well as the bell. I never thought that I would go with anything that was a class of music genre (rock, metal, jazz ride). But this one was a home run for me. Thanks for all your input guys!