Help needed.

Dubby1968

I inherited a set of vintage Gretsch drums, need TLC, someone painted the inside with a spray coat of white. I’m wondering if the paint will devalue if I want to sell them? Not sure what to do. Want to clean them up and see what I can get for them. There is stop sign badges on them but the serial number paper is missing. Thanks for your help.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I guess your choices are to leave it as is, or sand it off and re-spray it.
Both will probably devalue it some, how much I can't say.
Someone else may be able to speak more intelligently about that.
Me, I'd sand them down and re spray them.
The badges probably got thrown out with the white paint job.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Coated batters, ebony resos, no one will see the paint unless they take the heads off. Dishonest? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't say anything about it, you haven't mislead anyone. That's up to you to decide.

Is the paint on the bearing edges? If so, I'd leave it alone. You don't want to mess up the edge trying to remove the paint.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Larry, I assume you meant, the paper labels inside were removed with the paint job...? Sounds like a job for a restoration expert. I bet the "silver sealer" paint is under the white. Removing the white paint wouldn't devalue them so long as the silver underneath remained, yet, I imagine the value is decreased as much by having the white paint present as it would be by removing both the white and silver, so it's worth a shot by a professional.

Dubby1968

Coated batters, ebony resos, no one will see the paint unless they take the heads off. Dishonest? Maybe, maybe not. If you don't say anything about it, you haven't mislead anyone. That's up to you to decide.

Is the paint on the bearing edges? If so, I'd leave it alone. You don't want to mess up the edge trying to remove the paint.
The paint is very light but not on bearing edges. I’m leaving this alone. Thanks

timmdrum

Silver Member
Thanks I can see the silver in places but not removing any pair.
As you wish- it's your gear. Great find, btw, and I'd love to see pics! To the question in your OP, though, "I’m wondering if the paint will devalue if I want to sell them? Not sure what to do. Want to clean them up and see what I can get for them", since you've seen the silver is present underneath, and selling them is an option you're considering (at the time of the post, anyway), it wouldn't hurt to look into having a pro do it. Might cost you a couple of hundred bucks but increase their value by a grand. (Both those figures are just guesses for the sake of the point; I'm no expert in this.) But, if they sound great, look great, and you're gonna keep them, I'm with you, I wouldn't bother either.

Dubby1968

The snare is the only piece to have the paper tag even though it’s partially painted. The drums are quite used and need lots of work. I am taking the bass drum apart now and attempting to clean it up. I play the snare with my export series Pearls, an it sounds great. The rims are all stick breaker and are blemished from storage and use. Just started to do this and want to do as much as I can. Thanks for answering.69E65AD5-A722-43A6-A20B-DE83606EF0D7.jpegC79E3C77-EE4E-4463-A9A7-478E7E88F2F9.jpeg8A2086DE-D846-4724-B663-6BB00F55B502.jpeg6A7EF7FC-8D62-4B51-ACD9-C8018B3EC422.jpeg77DAA82F-1037-4DC4-BAAB-230A57E87850.jpeg0268108F-5434-4FD5-9311-2F99847CF7C8.jpeg38E836F2-E73E-4320-942E-D232E56D555B.jpeg

Attachments

Dubby1968

I was told by my friend that passed away, the drums and piano he had were played on the Jay Leno Show! I have no way of documenting this sine he is gone now. But all the same I will do my best to redo these. Another friend got his guitar collection and another the piano. Doing in his memory.