Help Needed For Tuning A Piccolo Snare Please

Believe me.. before posting this, I did what I consider a thorough online search for the help/suggestions/advice I need but I couldn't find what I'm specifically looking for.
Almost every snare drum that

Have you ever had trouble turning up other snares, or is it just this one?

In my experience, if you tune up a piccolo snare and don't like the pop it gives you, you're not going to like the snare.

The only exception is the pearl free-floating piccolo snare. That thing defies logic. All others I've tried are just a one-trick pony.

I'm all about making the best out of what you have; however, if I have a snare drum that's hard to tune, I get rid of it. A snare drum should be a breeze to tune. If it's not, it goes away. YMMV.

Have you ever had trouble turning up other snares, or is it just this one?

In my experience, if you tune up a piccolo snare and don't like the pop it gives you, you're not going to like the snare.

The only exception is the pearl free-floating piccolo snare. That thing defies logic. All others I've tried are just a one-trick pony.

I'm all about making the best out of what you have; however, if I have a snare drum that's hard to tune, I get rid of it. A snare drum should be a breeze to tune. If it's not, it goes away. YMMV.

agreed...the Pearl free floater is a beast

but yeah...the piccolo is definitely a special effect...in my experience, people tend to over tighten it....to the point where both heads are so tight that they cancel each other out.

I have a Pearl 3x14" brass, and I tune it like most of my other snares....bottom head high to get the pitch, top head a little loser to get the dry crack. i rarely use it with the snares off, and it is just my "left side accent" drum.

I use a Remo ambassador Hazy on the snare side, and an Amassador coated on the batter side. At one point, I had that Evans Genera Dry head wioth the pinholes around it (that everyone seems to hate) and I actually liked the way it sounded on that drum

but just remember that the piccolo snare was created for a pretty small range of sounds...I wouldn't try to push it into other realms of use

agreed...the Pearl free floater is a beast

but yeah...the piccolo is definitely a special effect...in my experience, people tend to over tighten it....to the point where both heads are so tight that they cancel each other out.

I have a Pearl 3x14" brass, and I tune it like most of my other snares....bottom head high to get the pitch, top head a little loser to get the dry crack. i rarely use it with the snares off, and it is just my "left side accent" drum.

I use a Remo ambassador Hazy on the snare side, and an Amassador coated on the batter side. At one point, I had that Evans Genera Dry head wioth the pinholes around it (that everyone seems to hate) and I actually liked the way it sounded on that drum

but just remember that the piccolo snare was created for a pretty small range of sounds...I wouldn't try to push it into other realms of use

It seems like the brass piccolo snares sound better than steel. Am I correct? Do they produce excessive ring sound like the 1.0 mm steel shell piccolos or do they have a more controlled sound?

I just put the Evans Genera Dry head with the pinholes on a 1.0 mm steel shell snare. This Evans head is specifically designed to control the excessive rings. It seems ok to me. What is the issue with this head that some drummers do not like?

Thanks,
Sam

It seems like the brass piccolo snares sound better than steel. Am I correct? Do they produce excessive ring sound like the 1.0 mm steel shell piccolos or do they have a more controlled sound?

I just put the Evans Genera Dry head with the pinholes on a 1.0 mm steel shell snare. This Evans head is specifically designed to control the excessive rings. It seems ok to me. What is the issue with this head that some drummers do not like?

Thanks,
Sam

I do feel like the brass shells are "darker"...but I think I control the sound more with the head choice. It can get an obnoxious ring if I get the wrong head combo on.

re the Evans head, I don't really know what the issue is. I liked it when I used it on my main snare, which is a 5.5x14 1962ish Supraphonic ("ish" b/c I am in the process of dating it. I inherited it from my dad, who told me he got it in 56, but others tell me they didn't make Supras in 56). I normally go for a Stewart Copland-esque snare sound and the Evans dried the sound out a bit too much for me, but I didn't hate it.

Back