Help My Tom Angles!

Jessiah331

Ok so I've decided I really need to work on my tom angles. I play with three up, a 10, 12, and 13.

I really like the slightly angled toms, but not entirely flat, or at a 45 degree angle, but I just can't seem to get them to sit right on my rack? I'm thinking it MAY have something to do with the sizes of them? It's an Icon rack. I have tried using individual clamps on each tom (virgin bass style) but the stands all end up in really funky places, and I've tried mounting two on the bass and one clamped, but that doesn't exactly work either.

If anyone has some tips, needs more info, or wants to post pics of theirs, it would be awesome, and you'll be my best friend.

Also, could it be that my throne sits too low?!

I really like RazorX's kit here:
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww45/sixx1474/HPIM1370.jpg

Thanks in advance my fellow DW goers~

If I were you, I wouldn't set up my kit so that it looked cool, I'd make it comfortable!

once it's comfortable, then you can tweak it so that it's both comfy and stylish (just as long as you're not in the 80s) jk.

-can you post some pics of your kit?

-Jonathan

I see what your problem is! It's not your toms, it's your tom arms. Judging from the pics in your signature, they're too long.

Those tom arms aren't meant to be on a rack, they're supposed to go in your bass drum, so they're made extra-long.

I wouldn't say go out and buy new ones, I'd say cut about 6 or 7 inches off each one, and see how that works (either cut them yourself with a hacksaw or get them cut at a hardware store for a cleaner job). If you cut them yourself, make sure you file the edges so they'll fit back in your clamps. You should be able to get your toms quite a bit lower while still having an angle!

I see what your problem is! It's not your toms, it's your tom arms. Judging from the pics in your signature, they're too long.

Those tom arms aren't meant to be on a rack, they're supposed to go in your bass drum, so they're made extra-long.

I wouldn't say go out and buy new ones, I'd say cut about 6 or 7 inches off each one, and see how that works (either cut them yourself with a hacksaw or get them cut at a hardware store for a cleaner job). If you cut them yourself, make sure you file the edges so they'll fit back in your clamps. You should be able to get your toms quite a bit lower while still having an angle!

Cool man, I did figure they were a bit long (as are a few of my cymbal arms haha) I'll send them to the metal shop (have a couple connections) and see what they can do for me, I'll post back in a week or so

I'd say cut about 6 or 7 inches off each one, and see how that works (either cut them yourself with a hacksaw or get them cut at a hardware store for a cleaner job). If you cut them yourself, make sure you file the edges so they'll fit back in your clamps. You should be able to get your toms quite a bit lower while still having an angle!

Use a pipe cutter instead- they look like a cross between a crescent wrench and a pizza cutter. The end of the pipe will automatically bend inward a little so any sharp edges are out of the way.

Use a pipe cutter instead- they look like a cross between a crescent wrench and a pizza cutter. The end of the pipe will automatically bend inward a little so any sharp edges are out of the way.

This. I said hacksaw just in case you didn't have a pipecutter handy... I assume you have a hacksaw somewhere :) But yes a pipecutter would work great (better than a hacksaw haha)

Get me a blowtorch and some pliers....I'm gonna get medieval on those tom arms. :)

Back