Help me spec out a new Ludwig CM kit

charliedrummer

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new 4-piece Ludwig Classic Maple kit in Vintage Oyster Black Pearl. I'm in my late 50's and have been a huge Beatles fan most of my life, so being able to order a Ringo-style kit has always been a dream. I am not looking at an authentic reproduction because that would be difficult to pull off with Ludwig's current options such as spurs and tom mount. I'm looking more at function, versatility, and dependability when it comes to selecting certain features. The sizes I plan to order are 14x22 bass drum, 9x13 rack tom, and 16x16 snare. So here's where I need help with:

1) What floor tom brackets do you recommend? The choices are Classic, Keystone, and Atlas. I've been shying away from the Atlas mounts simply because they seem big and bulky, but if they're an improvement over the others, then I will reconsider them.

2) Ludwig is currently offering a matching "free snare" promotion for select kits. The options are 5x14 and 6.5x14. Which of these is more versatile as an all around workhorse snare in the Classic Maple line?

Thanks for your input!

Stroman

Platinum Member
I prefer the Keystone or Atlas floor tom brackets because they sandwich the leg, rather than gripping at a single point like the classic.

As for snares, it's very much a matter of opinion, but if I were to choose just one, I'd go with the 6.5 x 14.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The only advice I can give is:

Do not get a CM snare and expect it to sound like a 61 Jazz Festival. I picked up a 5x14 8-lug CM and it sounded nothing like the JF. It was still a good drum, but was much more modern sounding than a JF.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Do not get a CM snare and expect it to sound like a 61 Jazz Festival. I picked up a 5x14 8-lug CM and it sounded nothing like the JF. It was still a good drum, but was much more modern sounding than a JF.
A new Ludwig Club Date snare drum sounds kind of like an old Jazz Festival.

Bull

Gold Member
I have Keystone and Classic floor tom brackets I prefer the Keystone.

I prefer 6.5 snares but I am sure either of those snares will work fine for you.

Signals

Well Charlie, you and I are in the same boat. I'm looking for a Classic Maple as well. Same sizes too -- 14x22, 9x13 and 16x16 -- in natural maple. I'd likely have it already if I could find one without the Atlas mounts. I prefer the Keystones. Good luck!

G

Ghostnote

I have the ATLAS mounts on my floor tom and they ARE big and bulky. You need to get an 18" bag for a 16" drum. They don't really isolate like Ludwig claims they do, so on a floor tom at least, they are pretty superfluous and needlessly bulky.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question that fits here.

I have Classic Maples with Elite mounts/leg holders.

They aren't currently listed. Does anyone know when those were discontinued?

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new 4-piece Ludwig Classic Maple kit in Vintage Oyster Black Pearl. I'm in my late 50's and have been a huge Beatles fan most of my life, so being able to order a Ringo-style kit has always been a dream. I am not looking at an authentic reproduction because that would be difficult to pull off with Ludwig's current options such as spurs and tom mount. I'm looking more at function, versatility, and dependability when it comes to selecting certain features. The sizes I plan to order are 14x22 bass drum, 9x13 rack tom, and 16x16 snare. So here's where I need help with:

1) What floor tom brackets do you recommend? The choices are Classic, Keystone, and Atlas. I've been shying away from the Atlas mounts simply because they seem big and bulky, but if they're an improvement over the others, then I will reconsider them.

2) Ludwig is currently offering a matching "free snare" promotion for select kits. The options are 5x14 and 6.5x14. Which of these is more versatile as an all around workhorse snare in the Classic Maple line?

Thanks for your input!
I say stick with Classic floor tom leg mounts, which is the same part used for the rack tom mount. I also think you're safe to just drill the rack tom mount bracket directly to the drum (I'm not a big fan of the vibraband suspension mount if you want to stay classic).

Regarding the snare, I would think you'd want a 5x14 anyway, no? Since the new CM snares are just super modern, why not get a classic but new 5x14 Black Beauty? Then you get both classic look and sound.

charliedrummer

I've read that some people have had problems with pins coming out of the hinges on Keystone brackets. Has anyone here experienced this with a newly purchased kit? Also, do the Atlas brackets seem like they would hold up over time or are there internal parts that might wear out with frequent set-up and tear-down? From what I've seen on various videos there appears to be some type of sleeve you insert into the channel where the leg goes, and there also appears to be an internal spring. I prefer something that's simple but at the same time won't slip.

Thanks for your input!

You will get the 6.5x14 with the larger drum sizes. You can't get the 5x14 in the sizes you want and the promotion. I like both the keystone and atlas mounts. The rims mounts are a pain in general but I like the non rim more mounts solutions. The atlas mounts are great but thry are heavy but they do ring out with a lot of resonance. I also like the keystones mounts, they grip better than the classics.

Bull

Gold Member
Don't want to derail the thread, but I have a question that fits here.

I have Classic Maples with Elite mounts/leg holders.

They aren't currently listed. Does anyone know when those were discontinued?
Yes, they were discontinued in 2011. I ordered my kit, with Elites, in March of 2011 and added a floor tom in January of 2012. They were discontinued by then. I had to order Keystones. My local dealer asked Ludwig to send me Keystones to swap out on my other drum and they did.

charliedrummer

You will get the 6.5x14 with the larger drum sizes. You can't get the 5x14 in the sizes you want and the promotion. I like both the keystone and atlas mounts. The rims mounts are a pain in general but I like the non rim more mounts solutions. The atlas mounts are great but thry are heavy but they do ring out with a lot of resonance. I also like the keystones mounts, they grip better than the classics.
The shop I'm dealing with is giving me the option of a 5x14 or 6.5x14.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd go for the 6.5" deep snare just because I think that size is a little more versatile. But I suppose if you're going for the Ringo look a 5" or 5.5" snare is really more accurate.

I'm torn about the mounts. Again, the classic brackets are well, classic. I have them on all of my floor toms and I don't have any issues with them, but I do like the more positive feel of a clamping bracket like the Keystone mount.

I also think that the ATLAS mounts for floor tom legs seems needlessly bulky.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
I would go with the Classic ft mounts just for the look.
They knurled the eyebolt so it grips the l-rod tighter and they come with memory locks. I have both Classic and Keystone mounts on my Ludwig kits and both work very well.
I would choose the 6.5 snare just because I like that depth.

charliedrummer

I'd go for the 6.5" deep snare just because I think that size is a little more versatile. But I suppose if you're going for the Ringo look a 5" or 5.5" snare is really more accurate.

I'm torn about the mounts. Again, the classic brackets are well, classic. I have them on all of my floor toms and I don't have any issues with them, but I do like the more positive feel of a clamping bracket like the Keystone mount.

I also think that the ATLAS mounts for floor tom legs seems needlessly bulky.
A 5.5x14 would be a truer representation of Ringo's Jazz Festival snare but that's not an option in the current Classic Maple line.

I've been looking at photos of the Classic floor tom mounts. Are those black rubber gaskets really as thick as they appear?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yes, they were discontinued in 2011. I ordered my kit, with Elites, in March of 2011 and added a floor tom in January of 2012. They were discontinued by then. I had to order Keystones. My local dealer asked Ludwig to send me Keystones to swap out on my other drum and they did.
Thanks. I like them. They grip nice and solid with little turning pressure on the wingnuts.
I guess they were replaced by the Keystone stuff.
No input on the snare. I like 13's. If they had that available with a kit, I'd take it in the deeper depth.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I went with Keystone for my floor Tom mounts. I feel it is a little more solid a design from an engineering standpoint. I have been gigging with the Keystone mounts for a few years now with zero issues. The Atlas are just too big for me. The Keystone mounts look classy and are built to last.

If you were going for smaller Bass kit I might say get a 5" snare. But overall, I prefer 6.5 for my snares.