HELP ME RE-DESIGN THE IDEA OF A DRUMSET

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
How about inflatable drums. Less space and weight to transport, and the amount of air pumped could change the tone. I know this will work.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Our resident scientist, giving up so easily?!?!

His username is his name.
Well I did a brief Googled sesrch and didn’t see it. it is a terrible search engine. But I’m not looking for him he should check to see if any issues with his questions at least. We’ve inquired more input - is this serious or eating people’s time. I tried to be supportive but the forum is generally skeptical/as noted by replies. There are other science folks on here- physicist, engineers, etc.. but since you seem so insightful why didn’t you link it as a kindness. What -didn’t want to waste your time. Yep I agree lol. The onus is on Maverick if he wants responses.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I reread the title and the OP stated he wanted to re-design the idea of the drum set. I actually quite like that. It’s more of a psychological control thing. Think Star Wars...these are not the androids you are looking for... ...these drums are not noisy...move along 🤣

TK-421

Maybe it's not the drum set that needs redesigning, but rather the drum stick. Imagine a pair of sticks that felt and played exactly like normal sticks, but resulted in a 90% reduction in volume. That would be revolutionary.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Maverick should mine the responses on this thread rather than questionnaire . It’s a lot more interesting and some pretty awesome ideas :cool: LOL

EhhSoCheap

Well I did a brief Googled sesrch and didn’t see it. it is a terrible search engine. But I’m not looking for him he should check to see if any issues with his questions at least. We’ve inquired more input - is this serious or eating people’s time. I tried to be supportive but the forum is generally skeptical/as noted by replies. There are other science folks on here- physicist, engineers, etc.. but since you seem so insightful why didn’t you link it as a kindness. What -didn’t want to waste your time. Yep I agree lol. The onus is on Maverick if he wants responses.
I assumed I’d be breaking a rule by linking to personal information, even if he’s disclosed enough of it already.

All this made me realize how valuable this community can be with the sum of drumming knowledge/experience. There’s a lesson here for Mav, though he may never get it.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've seen many people try to re-design the concept of a drum over the years, and they've all been massive failures.

We like our round pieces of wood with a plastic membrane stretched over it.

MrPockets

Gold Member
I'm on board with narrowing the project to a part of the set and not the set as a whole. Surely a different cymbal stand can be made, or a lug locking mechanism.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
But your grandchildren may not. Or their kids. It's an electronic digital world now. I think it's not so much re-designing drum kits, but them becoming obsolete because the electronic digital gen of children will prefer to "play" drums electronically. There won't be a tolerance for nostalgia, lugging heavy round pieces of wood around, changing heads, cymbal stands, pedals etc.

My idea: Drum Kit Glasses. You put glasses on and you see a drum kit in front of you. It's a virtual reality kit. Completely configurable. You hold actual sticks in your hand. The pedals are also virtual. You play the virtual reality kit just like a real kit. You can tune it how you like choose sizes add and delete drums cymbals etc. Plus over your band's PA or venue's system, or at home through speakers or amp. That's the future that's the re-designed future of the drum kit.

Actually I know a lot of very smart very skilled developers. I think I'll meet with them next week and present the concept to them.

I've seen many people try to re-design the concept of a drum over the years, and they've all been massive failures.

We like our round pieces of wood with a plastic membrane stretched over it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My idea: Drum Kit Glasses. You put glasses on and you see a drum kit in front of you. It's a virtual reality kit. Completely configurable. You hold actual sticks in your hand. The pedals are also virtual. You play the virtual reality kit just like a real kit. You can tune it how you like choose sizes add and delete drums cymbals etc. Plus over your band's PA or venue's system, or at home through speakers or amp. That's the future that's the re-designed future of the drum kit.

Actually I know a lot of very smart very skilled developers. I think I'll meet with them next week and present the concept to them.
Best idea yet and most in line with the intent of the thread IMO.

You can pick up your check in Switzerland. Bernhard has it :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Half way there.