Help me identify this vintage Ludwig set I am trying to sell!

DS Williams

I got this set 10 years ago and literally never played it. I purchased it from a popular studio drummer in LA. Its been sitting in the closet and I want to sell it. I believe its mid 70s! Let me know if you guys know which model and year this is!

Link below!

Last edited:
Yes its 1970's (70 - 79) but people could tell you much more about it if you post the inside of the drum shells, to see the wood, number of plies, etc. or better pics of the entire kit. I only see 3 of the badge.

This appears to be from approx 1977, judging from the serial number, the simple nuts (instead of wing nuts) on the tom brackets, and the pointed badges.

It's in very good shape from what I can tell. The wrap has yellowed somewhat, but it's not too bad and the hardware looks to be in great shape. If there aren't any big surprises with the bearing edges, wrap, hardware, or shell roundness, I'd give it a ballpark of $1100-1300.

But that is before the Covid crisis is factored in. Due to the economy, it could sit for months and months, or you could get lucky and get $1600 from the right buyer. Or you could sell it right away for $900.

I could be off though so I encourage others to poke holes in my estimate.

Last edited:
This appears to be from approx 1977, judging from the serial number, the simple nuts (instead of wing nuts) on the tom brackets, and the pointed badges.

It's in very good shape from what I can tell. The wrap has yellowed somewhat, but it's not too bad and the hardware looks to be in great shape. If there aren't any big surprises with the bearing edges, wrap, hardware, or shell roundness, I'd give it a ballpark of $1100-1300.

But that is before the Covid crisis is factored in. Due to the economy, it could sit for months and months, or you could get lucky and get $1600 from the right buyer. Or you could sell it right away for $900.

I could be off though so I encourage others to poke holes in my estimate.

Thank you so much! how should I go about measuring these Toms and the kick? Do I need to take the heads off?

Thank you so much! how should I go about measuring these Toms and the kick? Do I need to take the heads off?
Nah, I'm pretty sure the sizes are 12/13/16/22. Are you a drummer yourself? How do they sound?

Inspect them closely for any cracks in the wrap, or any problems with the bearing edge. Check for rust or pitting on the metal hardware, and see if all the mufflers work. Take pictures of any imperfections so you can provide them to potential buyers. Or give us the updated photos so we can help you out.

Also, take a head off and snap a picture of the inside of one of the shells. Or better yet, do it for all the drums. That would be very helpful for some people.

Here is a nearly identical kit that sold on Reverb.

I got this set 10 years ago and literally never played it. I purchased it from a popular studio drummer in LA. Its been sitting in the closet and I want to sell it. I believe its mid 70s! Let me know if you guys know which model and year this is!
1976 was the big year for change, with Ludwig. They went from the 3 ply shell with reinforcement rings the the straight 6 ply shell. Serial #'s can sometimes be accurate, sometimes not. Pointy corner blue/olive badge is '79 and earlier. '79, Ludwig started rounding the corners.

So .... easy to tell is these have reinforcement rings or not. Look inside the drums. It's gonna make a BIG difference in what they're worth. A 3 ply kit might fetch $1000 or more. A 6 ply kit, probably not. Your bass drum has a port. Look inside and see if there's the reinforcement rings in there. They're at the edge of the shell (where the head and the shell contact).

Nice Reverb ad (IBite) ..... you can see the reinforcement rings I'm referring to in the bass drum, thru the clear bass drum head. And I agree that we're probably looking at a 22x14, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16 kit. Now for the buts ..... that's Australian Dollars, which translates to about $1257 US. AND ..... if your kit is indeed a 1977 (it'll be a 6 ply straight shell then) it won't fetch anything close to $1200. Also, vintage American drums tend to go for more outside the US.

So ..... find out what type shell you have here ...... it says you're in Los Angeles ..... I'm in Pasadena.

They are Ludwig Standards. This is my main kit, but mine’s from the 60’s. For a while (not sure of what years) they used the same shells as the top of the line Ludwigs but with cheaper hardware. I love them, they record well. Here’s a link to some old catalog pages:

Last edited:
They are Ludwig Standards. This is my main kit, but from the 60’s. For a while (not sure of what years) they used the same shells as the top of the line Ludwigs but with cheaper hardware. I love them, they record well. Here’s a link to some old catalog pages:
No .... not Standards. Has Classic lugs and Blue/Olive pointy cornered badge.

1976 was the big year for change, with Ludwig. They went from the 3 ply shell with reinforcement rings the the straight 6 ply shell. Serial #'s can sometimes be accurate, sometimes not. Pointy corner blue/olive badge is '79 and earlier. '79, Ludwig started rounding the corners.

So .... easy to tell is these have reinforcement rings or not. Look inside the drums. It's gonna make a BIG difference in what they're worth. A 3 ply kit might fetch $1000 or more. A 6 ply kit, probably not. Your bass drum has a port. Look inside and see if there's the reinforcement rings in there. They're at the edge of the shell (where the head and the shell contact).

Nice Reverb ad (IBite) ..... you can see the reinforcement rings I'm referring to in the bass drum, thru the clear bass drum head. And I agree that we're probably looking at a 22x14, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16 kit. Now for the buts ..... that's Australian Dollars, which translates to about $1257 US. AND ..... if your kit is indeed a 1977 (it'll be a 6 ply straight shell then) it won't fetch anything close to $1200. Also, vintage American drums tend to go for more outside the US.

So ..... find out what type shell you have here ...... it says you're in Los Angeles ..... I'm in Pasadena.

Sorry for the horrible quality, the port is against the wall and the set is barricaded in my closet at the moment. The inside doesn't have a wooden texture though, looks coated?

Hmm. I hadn’t seen the lugs, but I think mine have the same lugs as those? (I have the earlier badge though.)
Nice kit. Really clean. Your kit's been altered. Someone put Classic lugs on it. Those are not Standard lugs. Standard lugs are smooth. But you do have the Standard badge, and you have a Strata wrap (which they didn't put on Classics) ..... and DS Williams has a White Marine Pearl wrap (which they didn't put on Standards).
Here is the inside of the kick drum, sorry for the awful quality!! will take better ones tomorrow.
Well, good news, there. You have reinforcement rings. And yes, the interior is painted. Granitone, is what they call that. Need to "resolve" the barricade situation and get 'em out of the closet. Those should be an easy sell (unless you price them too high).

Nice kit. Really clean. Your kit's been altered. Someone put Classic lugs on it. Those are not Standard lugs. Standard lugs are smooth. But you do have the Standard badge, and you have a Strata wrap (which they didn't put on Classics) ..... and DS Williams has a White Marine Pearl wrap (which they didn't put on Standards).

Well, good news, there. You have reinforcement rings. And yes, the interior is painted. Granitone, is what they call that. Need to "resolve" the barricade situation and get 'em out of the closet. Those should be an easy sell (unless you price them too high).
According to mikedolbear.com, it's possible to have a Standard with Classic lugs. I didn't know this either.
"Despite the complete re-work and design, some Standard sets do turn up with Classic lugs, believed to be built when Standard parts were in short supply, and the line continued up to 1983. "​

@Zaster

According to mikedolbear.com, it's possible to have a Standard with Classic lugs. I didn't know this either.
"Despite the complete re-work and design, some Standard sets do turn up with Classic lugs, believed to be built when Standard parts were in short supply, and the line continued up to 1983. "​

@Zaster

Yeah I would think something like this might have happened rather than a change by the prior owner. The reason is I just got the feeling that nobody really paid any attention to this kit or used it much. It was pretty untouched when I got it, kind of like “NOS”. But naturally there’s no way to be sure what its life was like before we met! ?

Last edited:
Huh .... I learn something every day. Makes sense, however. Never stop the production line.
Yeah I would think something like this might have happened rather than a change by the prior owner. The reason is I just got the feeling that nobody really paid any attention to this kit or used it much. It was pretty untouched when I got it, kind of like “NOS”. But naturally there’s no way to be sure what its life was like before we met! ?
Well, the reason I mentioned someone "changing" the lugs .... 1) I'd never heard the Dolbear/Ludwig info. and 2) I actually know of two kits who's owners DID change the lugs. Another difference with the Standard, I believe, is they used the older style "long nail" straight spur, rather than the curved "disappearing" spurs. The White Marine kit has the disappearing type.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the sizes are 12/13/16/22. Are you a drummer yourself? How do they sound?

Inspect them closely for any cracks in the wrap, or any problems with the bearing edge. Check for rust or pitting on the metal hardware, and see if all the mufflers work. Take pictures of any imperfections so you can provide them to potential buyers. Or give us the updated photos so we can help you out.

Also, take a head off and snap a picture of the inside of one of the shells. Or better yet, do it for all the drums. That would be very helpful for some people.

Here is a nearly identical kit that sold on Reverb.

Here is the inside of the kick drum!

Back