Help me ID this Pearl kit?

lxh039

The guitarist in my band has decided to buy a drum set, and he got a lead on a used set for $500. The person who tipped him off didn't have a lot of info on the kit, but he did have a few pictures. I'm going to check it out with him this evening, but I'm impatient so I was hoping that I could post some of the pics and get you guys to help me ID it.

That is the only pic I have, but he showed me one other. It was a closeup of the badge on the floor tom. Between the two pics, there are a few things I have been able to determine.

1) The badge clearly shows that it is a Pearl Export Series.

2) The badge pic was close up enough for me to clearly see the finish, and it is definitely blue satin as opposed to a wrap. This leads me to suspect that it is either maple or birch. In my experience, manufacturers don't tend to stain poplar or basswood drums because it doesn't come out well. Did Pearl ever do their Export series in odd wood types, like ash or alder? I suppose it could also be poplar/basswood with a single outer ply for the finish. Did Pearl ever go that route with this series of drums?

3) The ride cymbal is obviously a Zildjian, and it has the "Avedis" on the logo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Avedis" logo only applied to Zildjian A Series cymbals? I've never seen a low end Zildjian line with that logo applied.

4) Looks like an 8/10/12/14 setup to me.

If those are A series cymbals, and if it is a maple or birch kit, then I am majorly stoked about him making this purchase. It won't be my set, but he'll be letting me use it in exchange for lessons. :)

This isn't a picture of the set in question, but the badge is identical:

Edit: I resized the first image to make it more board-friendly. I have a much larger original image I can also provide, if it would help identify it. Just let me know.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Pearl did do lacquer on the Export ELX models. Split lugs were introduced in 2000 (previous to that they used hi-tension style lugs). In 2002 Pearl switched the wood from 6 ply mahogany to 6 ply poplar.

Obviously he's going to have to pay some money for new heads and at least one crash cymbal and a boom and rack clamp for it. The cymbal does look like an A Zildjian (late 90s vintage), but no telling what shape it's really in. Nice that it does have a rack, but looks like very few clamps on it. I'd think $500 is probably on the high side of acceptable for that kit, but it needs a few things to be fully playable.

lxh039

Pearl did do lacquer on the Export ELX models. Split lugs were introduced in 2000 (previous to that they used hi-tension style lugs). In 2002 Pearl switched the wood from 6 ply mahogany to 6 ply poplar.

Obviously he's going to have to pay some money for new heads and at least one crash cymbal and a boom and rack clamp for it. The cymbal does look like an A Zildjian (late 90s vintage), but no telling what shape it's really in. Nice that it does have a rack, but looks like very few clamps on it. I'd think $500 is probably on the high side of acceptable for that kit, but it needs a few things to be fully playable.
Damn. That's...not the response I was expecting. At least as far as the "high side of acceptable" part. I felt like it was a steal. A new A Zildjian ride and hi-hat pair (assuming the hats and ride are both A's) costs $600 on their own, not even counting the hardware and shells. I guess the shape of the cymbals is a major factor to take into account, though, and the going rate on the used market is far lower than new. It will need a crash, but the set comes with the mounting hardware for another cymbal.

For what it's worth, I got the other picture showing the badge close up. It shows the wood's finish and grain a lot better than the first pic. Sorry for the huge image size.

Any way to ID the wood based on that picture? I feel like I read somewhere that lower quality woods, like poplar and mahogany, tend to have vertical grains. Any truth to that? This wood's grain is horizontal, it appears.

alparrott

Platinum Member
The exterior ply on budget kits like the Export doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the actual appearance or quality of the wood. where you would see "vertical grain" is on the inside of the shell, which would also assist you in determining if the shells were mahogany or poplar. Keep in mind that those names may be referring to Asian varieties of the wood as well.

When I said "high side of acceptable" I was going off the picture and what I saw. Adding up the cost for another cymbal, a cymbal boom, at least one rack clamp and a new set of heads started me thinking, I could buy a much better used set with everything on it for that price. If all it needs is the cymbal and some heads, that's better. But basically what you're buying is good cymbals and the hardware. The shells themselves are worth maybe $100, $150. $500 for all of that isn't a smoking deal, but it's good.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The exports in blue-mist from that era appear to be 6 ply poplar. At least, that's what I could get out of google. I own a poplar kit as a backup/shit-kit. It is an old Ludwig Accent Combo, which is probably a lateral step from that export. Honestly, it's not horrible. The tuning range isn't great, but taiwanese poplar shells can produce a pleasant tom sound and good BD sound.

The kit in the picture looks like someone is getting rid of their B gear. It's a pistachio medley of everything a drummer grows out of. The two redeeming qualities are the rack and the zildjian A (if it is in fact an A).

I'd offer 4 bills for it and see what the buyer says. Hell, I'd start at $350.

lxh039

We went and saw it a few hours ago. It came with a lot of gear not shown in the pic. All told, it had all the shells you see, a 21" A series crash/ride, a 16" A series crash, 14" A series hats, an 8" A series splash, extra batter and reso heads for each drum, and more clamps and arms than were needed to mount all of it on the rack alone. Didn't even need to use the bass drum mount for the rack toms like it is shown in the pictures. He'll even have an extra arm left over to add my spare ride to the kit.

I recommended that he buy it. He paid the asking price. We both feel like he got a great deal.

alparrott

Platinum Member
We went and saw it a few hours ago. It came with a lot of gear not shown in the pic. All told, it had all the shells you see, a 21" A series crash/ride, a 16" A series crash, 14" A series hats, an 8" A series splash, extra batter and reso heads for each drum, and more clamps and arms than were needed to mount all of it on the rack alone. Didn't even need to use the bass drum mount for the rack toms like it is shown in the pictures. He'll even have an extra arm left over to add my spare ride to the kit.

I recommended that he buy it. He paid the asking price. We both feel like he got a great deal.
With all of that, I finally feel like you did too.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
That's a good deal for that amount of gear. The drums themselves are pretty decent (always a fan of the Export series, bar the ISS mounts on the later versions) and the cymbals/rack are priced very reasonably. He got a good, honest deal. Nice work.