HELP! Issue with foot playing the kick all the sudden

Link

Hello everyone. Here's my situation:
I'm 48. Play 3 times a week locally and have toured for years. Have never had any issues until two months ago. I'll be playing, and then all the sudden it's like my right foot isn't getting info from my brain to hit the kick pattern I want. Or hit with ANY power. I'll be simplifying beats live just to get through the gig. And these are easy rock songs. Every other limb is absolutely fine though. I've adjusted throne height, different beater, etc. I'm literally staring at my foot to do what I've easily been able to do for years, and nothing. It's weird even typing this. To say I'm scared to death is an understatement. This is my career. Is this something I need to see a doctor about and if so, what kind of doctor would I see about this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Hello everyone. Here's my situation:
I'm 48. Play 3 times a week locally and have toured for years. Have never had any issues until two months ago. I'll be playing, and then all the sudden it's like my right foot isn't getting info from my brain to hit the kick pattern I want. Or hit with ANY power. I'll be simplifying beats live just to get through the gig. And these are easy rock songs. Every other limb is absolutely fine though. I've adjusted throne height, different beater, etc. I'm literally staring at my foot to do what I've easily been able to do for years, and nothing. It's weird even typing this. To say I'm scared to death is an understatement. This is my career. Is this something I need to see a doctor about and if so, what kind of doctor would I see about this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Definitely see a doctor. I think an orthopedist (sp?) would be the correct type. Call to be sure.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Definitely see a doctor. I think an orthopedist (sp?) would be the correct type. Call to be sure.
I am also wondering if it could be a back problem...like a pinched nerve or something? This happens to me in my country band after 3 hour gigs...mostly b/c my throne is ancient and needs replace...but that causes my right leg to go a bit numb right in my ham string where my leg crosses the edge of the stool...

would definitely see a doc though

hawksmoor

I've posted this interview snippet elsewhere before, this might be helpful:

Homer Steinwess of The Dap Kings, Lee Fields, Amy Winehouse and many more is a left-footed right-handed drummer. Here he is talking about it:

Amazingly, Steinweiss has been keeping this busy pace for the last year-plus while suffering from the neurological condition focal dystonia. In layman's terms it means the brain isn't telling a muscle or group of muscles what to do, resulting in undesirable muscular contractions. In Steinweiss's case, his right foot was affected to the point where it simply wasn't able to work the kick pedal. So he bought a double pedal, kept his hi-hat clamped shut, and began using his left foot as his primary kick foot. "It's something that happened over a long period of time," the drummer explains. "Every once in awhile my right foot started feeling weird. I kept practicing, and it just was not getting better. It got to a point where I was doing sessions and gigging all the time and one day I just said, "Guys, I can't work right now-my right foot feels weird.'I bought a double bass pedal, stuck it on there, and within a week I was back at it. No one noticed. I'm kind of shocked that it worked. I'm a left-foot drummer now.'

DrumDoug

Go to a doctor. Try to get a referral to a neurologist. Three years ago I found out I have a neurological condition that causes my nerves to be damaged easily. I went to rehearsal one night and couldn’t move my feet or hold a drumstick. Hopefully you don’t have anything that bad, but you need to find out.

Benthedrummer

Hi Link.

Can I just ask you two questions please?

1) Do you get a prolonged contracture in your pedal foot when playing?..... meaning does it tense up and won't relax again?

2) Does this issue you have with your pedal foot ONLY occur when playing the bass drum or does it occur with other activities like driving a car or something like that?