Help Identifying Yamaha Kit

Emvee

I have had some really good help on the forums helping me learn more some of my drum collection. I have been playing for a while, but am kind of new to collecting and refinishing drums. I had the chance to pick up three drums (bass, floor tom, and rack tom) from someone who was just looking to unload them. He said he took them as payment a while ago for a job he did for someone, and was now just wanting them gone. He said he doesn't know anything about them. All the badging is gone as the bass drum and floor tom have been finished in a silver sparkle wrap and the rack tom is unfinished (there is still some adhesive where the old wrap was removed). I think the drums are Yamaha as there is one Yamaha head on the tom and the lugs look like ones used on other Yamaha kits. But that is all I've been able to figure out. I want to know if its worth my time wrapping the last drum and finding a snare to go with it, or to just put it aside. I've attached a picture of the lugs on the floor tom and the bass drum. I also took a shot of the inside of one of the drums in case someone can identify the wood type. There is also a pic of the spur, but no guaranteeing that it is the proper one for the bass drum. The rack tom mount is missing.

Attachments

davezedlee

proper Yamahas would have a 60 degree angled seam where the plies meet

one exception might be the GigMaker series, as their hardware is the same as a bunch of other beginner sets, which suggests that they were sub-contracted from a third-party manufacturer

opentune

Platinum Member
Yamaha drums will have badges.
If the badge is missing you need to provide better pics than just real close-ups of just a lug. Those appear yamaha lugs but those lugs change and/or get imitated at times too. I've seen CB drum lugs that are not unlike those too.
Also if you want to know what model of Yamaha's people here need to see better pics. Stand back for a few pictures.
Sometimes the tom mount or other hardware is a good hint even with no badges (though i cannot imagine somebody taking off Yamaha badges). Take pics of those features.

Emvee

I agree about not taking off the badges. I will post better pictures as soon as I can. But if it helps any, the floor Has some sort of isomount or drum cradle to support the legs, not the usual mounts attached to the side of the shell.

opentune

Platinum Member
Those are much better pics. Did you unwrap the one drum?
The extra holes in the bass drum are odd, as is the floor tom floating mount. The hanging tom looks like a Gibraltar GTS mount I had once.
These make me guess its possibly home made from pre-made shells. It looks to be in great shape, how does it sound?.