Help Identifying My Snare

Rydell

Hi, all. Just wondering if anyone can help me identify a snare I’ve had for years, but thus far, have been unable to pin down the model. According to the serial number, it dates from 1976. It has 10 lugs, so I’m assuming it’s a weird Supraphonic variant (if the paint job is factory, rather than a DIY job) or less likely, a Black Beauty. I’ve shown it to several drummers, but no one seems to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• D7779E86-1264-47C2-A24B-A8FCC5E79F7C.jpeg
    D7779E86-1264-47C2-A24B-A8FCC5E79F7C.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 3B758D9A-FA8E-49CB-AC6E-C666A48952AA.jpeg
    3B758D9A-FA8E-49CB-AC6E-C666A48952AA.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DE104EC1-4CB1-40BF-AF33-06DEDB30A478.jpeg
    DE104EC1-4CB1-40BF-AF33-06DEDB30A478.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1D43D484-946E-4D9D-80D0-195C67EA3E0B.jpeg
    1D43D484-946E-4D9D-80D0-195C67EA3E0B.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 33
  • 03267B38-CE6E-490B-9482-DA39742A63B0.jpeg
    03267B38-CE6E-490B-9482-DA39742A63B0.jpeg
    659.7 KB · Views: 33
What does the inside of the shell look like. I'm no Ludwig expert but if the inside hasn't been messed with, that will give the experts an idea what it could be.

Edited ro add:
My guess is it's a Supraphonic that had a bad case of acne and they sealed it with whatever is on the outside of the shell.

The inside looks the same, though slightly more brass-colored, but with the same bumpy finish. The acne looks to be an intentional part of the paint job, since it is uniform over the entire drum, but who knows. Thanks for the input!

Supraphonics are notorious for the chrome plating bubbling and peeling. A lot of folks solved the problem by painting over the pitted chrome with appliance epoxy paint. I had a 6.5" deep Supra years and years ago that was painted the same way. The appliance epoxy paint is a good choice because it has that textured finish that disguises all of the unevenness inherent in a heavily pitted shell, and the paint itself is darn near bulletproof so you're not likely to have to deal with chipped paint down the line.

That’s definitely a good explanation for what’s going on here. Thanks for the information. I’ve had it forever, and it sounds fantastic…just never been quite sure what it is.

Looks like a Supra with a textured Rustolium paint. They probably thought it would help stop the pitting.

I've seen an identical Supra to this. The guy had bad chrome pitting, and so had the outer shell sandblasted and painted black.
Still looks good and of course the sound is what matters.
I'm amazed at how tight the badge is if its been painted/coated.

This thing has been spray painted or something, like almost the whole thing. Hoops and lugs are painted also.

I'm amazed at how tight the badge is if its been painted/coated.
Masking tape and a razor blade.

I'm gonna say if the heads are taken off, there will be a fuzzy paint line from a head collar on both sides. Same with the lugs, no paint underneath.

This thing has been spray painted or something, like almost the whole thing. Hoops and lugs are painted also.

Masking tape and a razor blade.

I'm gonna say if the heads are taken off, there will be a fuzzy paint line from a head collar on both sides. Same with the lugs, no paint underneath.
There’s no visible chrome or paint lines when the heads are off. The whole surface, inside and out, is painted. The inside is cleaner and has a brass-colored tinge to it. Next time I go to my practice space I’ll get some photos. I’ve never taken the lugs off, so perhaps I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

There’s no visible chrome or paint lines when the heads are off. The whole surface, inside and out, is painted. The inside is cleaner and has a brass-colored tinge to it. Next time I go to my practice space I’ll get some photos. I’ve never taken the lugs off, so perhaps I’ll give that a try. Thanks!
looking at your pics it appears paint is under the lugs. i bet the whole shell was done

Back