Help identifying 18" FT shell

DangerousDave

Hi guys!
Does anyone know who manufactures shells and stamps date on the inside? Seems like it's maple, the seam is diagonal, bearing edge is rounded on the outside, 45° on the inside, lacquered completely. Date stamped is: IMG_20191019_212832.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Just about every company stamps dates on the inside, it's almost impossible to know without seeing more pictures of the tom.

Give us more pictures!

Sorry, didn't have much time at the computer when I started the thread.
Here are some pics.
Previous owner put a PVC wrap on the outside which I still didn't remove. I can see on the bearing edge that it's stained and lacquered on the outside.
Also, Tama hardware has been fitted so that's why the extra (or should I say 'original') holes can be seen.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/Tl3hi5n.jpg[/img]']

https%3A//i.imgur.com/ERZfJEE.jpg[/img]']

Last edited:
It's hard to identify anything from the inside of the shell. Lugs would make things easier. This is like trying to identify a car by it's carpet. We need more info.

It's hard to identify anything from the inside of the shell. Lugs would make things easier. This is like trying to identify a car by it's carpet. We need more info.
Yeah, if you're using an aftermarket carpet :)

Unfortunately shell is all I have. As I mentioned earlier, hardware that came with the drum is not original.
I haven't seen shells that have stamped date inside so that was my go-to point.
Maybe someone will find the font of the stamp familiar :)

To make things better, the drum sounds great :)

This is the interior of my 80s Ludwig marching snare. I'm not saying you have a Ludwig, but the plies look strikingly similar.

The grain pattern on your shell looks fancier on the interior. I'm not an expert on date stamps, but I don't recall ever seeing a stamp with that font before. Especially not a major manufacturer.

2t6dpEm.png

Last edited:
This is the interior of my 80s Ludwig marching snare. I'm not saying you have a Ludwig, but the plies look strikingly similar.

The grain pattern on your shell looks fancier on the interior. I'm not an expert on date stamps, but I don't recall ever seeing a stanp with that font before. Especially not a major manufacturer.
I did think the shell I have is either Ludwig or DW. Since DW has badge that's held in place by 2 small screws, I discarded that option.
I kind of go with Ludwig option because of the number of plies. Mind you, I'm no expert on the plies of either manufacturer so this is purely a hunch.
It seems to me that a 5-ply shell is something that's older and Ludwig came first to mind. Gretsch also perhaps?
I can measure distance between original lug holes when I get back from work.
Can you do the same on your drum?

Just to point out, I like the way the drum sounds, it has the hardware to match the rest of the kit.
I'm just curious to find out from what set did the previous owner took this drum. It's just a good old case of curiosity mixed with detective work with an abnormally small amount of free time :D

I think it's safe to remove DW from you list because it doesn't have reinforcement rings. It could be a PDP Shell, but I don't think they made 18" tom's until fairly recently.
What finish does/did it have?
Hm, PDP seems to have smaller distance between lug mounting holes.
As for finish, it was some kind of brown stain and a gloss lacquer over that.
This weekend I'll take the drumhead off and take a better picture so you can see the finish.
That'll also be a great opportunity to measure distance between lug mounting holes as I didn't have time last night.

The key distance would be between the outermost lug screw and the empty whole since that probably accommodated the original lug.

The key distance would be between the outermost lug screw and the empty whole since that probably accommodated the original lug.
Son of a gun, I also checked with good Premier people, but as I removed the lug screws, I noticed the original lugs had two holes so it's not a Signia.
I was so certain it was...

Distance between outer lug screws is 11.5", distance between inner lug screws is 8 3/16".
At least the outer holes fit for Rockstar lug so not all of the holes are drilled extra to accomodate it.

Here's a better pic of the finish. The previous owner wrapped the shell with transparent PVC foil and paper. Yes, paper!
Obviously he didn't want to ruin the original finish so kudos to him:

I can't help you identify the shell, but the date stamp format leads me to believe the drum's origin is Europe, perhaps Germany. Decimal dating is a common format in Germany.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm skeptical about that being a factory finish. It's on the bearing edge and doesn't appear to be even from the pic. Not even meaning in some spots it looks like the finish covers more of the bearing edge than others. This could be camera trickery though.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm skeptical about that being a factory finish. It's on the bearing edge and doesn't appear to be even from the pic. Not even meaning in some spots it looks like the finish covers more of the bearing edge than others. This could be camera trickery though.
Good eye! It's camera trickery. The finish ends right on the apex of the bearing edge. The ply that's after the apex (when looking towards the center of the drum) is not as dark as the stain finish.
It looks to me like the bearing edge was cut on the outside, then the shell was stained, then the inner edge was cut and then the whole shell was lacquered.

I can't help you identify the shell, but the date stamp format leads me to believe the drum's origin is Europe, perhaps Germany. Decimal dating is a common format in Germany.
After reading your post I googled Sonor, but they have totally different stamp that marks the year and month of production all combined in a 3-digit stamp.

Back