Help Identify 60's Ludwig Snare Drum

Tabata

Hi guys,

I just found this old 60's Ludwig Snare, keystone badge. At first I thought it was a supraphonic, because of the imperial lugs it has, but the more I look at the snare the more I wonder if it's not rather an acrolite. It looks pretty matte. Maybe that comes from the fact that it's very old and pitted everywhere... Another thing I don't understand is that it has 10 lugs, and I've read that most of acrolite snares had only 8 lugs... So I'm lost. What are your thoughts about it ? Thank you so much in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 13
That's a 60s Ludwig 400 Supraphonic. 10 Imperial lugs and flaky chrome are the giveaway.

They sound great on anything.

FYI here's my 60s acro. 8 bowtie lugs and orange peel finish

Attachments

• PXL_20201221_210036571.jpg
    PXL_20201221_210036571.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 4
Thanks lot a for your informations ! It sounds great ! I still have a little doubt because the previous owner seems to have added rubber washers where the shells are screwed in. It makes me wonder if this is not an acrolite that had other lugs and the previous owner would have replaced the original lugs with imperial lugs and added washers to make up for a difference in thickness. Could you tell me if an acrolite can also be peeled of like this or if this is really unique to an LM400? Another thing is that the snare is pretty light...

That's an LM400 Supra. The pitting and peeling of the chrome is very common among older drums because the chroming that Ludwig used/uses can't stay adhered to aluminium forever, as it turns out. The addition of rubber washers doesn't change that.

If it helps, the primary differences between Supras and Acros really comes down to the number of lugs and the chrome plating. So even though it's not an Acro, you're not missing out on anything. The Supra is the more famous, more marketable drum of the two.

Hi Alparrott, thanks a lot ! Actually that's what I want :) I prefer it to be a supra. I had an hesitation because I don't really see chrome on my snare, and also,I've read that some acrolites had 10 lugs (but those are very rare). Anyway, I prefer to have a supraphonic :) I like it more

By the way, I bought it for 50€ :p I couldn't believe it, and despite the pilling the snare drum sounds really really good
That's an incredible deal, especially for Europe! Enjoy!

By the way, I bought it for 50€ :p I couldn't believe it, and despite the pilling the snare drum sounds really really good
That's all anyone cares about. Can't hear the pitting.

Thanks lot a for your informations ! It sounds great ! I still have a little doubt because the previous owner seems to have added rubber washers where the shells are screwed in. It makes me wonder if this is not an acrolite that had other lugs and the previous owner would have replaced the original lugs with imperial lugs and added washers to make up for a difference in thickness. Could you tell me if an acrolite can also be peeled of like this or if this is really unique to an LM400? Another thing is that the snare is pretty light...

It's a 400 I'm 100% sure and 200% sure on Sundays :)

You know if there had been a change from 8 to 10 lugs as there'd be extra holes everywhere for the lug spacing. Acrolites and Supras are lightweight snares. It's the same shell except the Supra is chrome plated and has 10 imperial lugs.

Supras are worth more than acrolites unless you have an Acro prototype which is insanely lightweight as all the parts are made from aluminium and the shell is welded together (mines a prototype). Yours is a seamless shell.

With your snare I'd get some new heads and a new strainer. That's it! You have a snare for life for a crazy price. I thought I got my 400 cheap in 2010 for £92, it was worth it even for the shipping to the UK.

Hi mikyok ! thanks for your message. Of course, I didn't think a change like this had been made. I was just wondering if this wasn't a rare 10 lugs Acrolite model and the previous owner would have just put Imperial lugs in place of the original acrolite lugs. What made me had doubt weither it's an acrolite or supra is the fact that when I look at the snare, I don't really see any chrome. Of course, it's so worn that the chrome may have turned very matte, hence I can't see it. Anyway, I'm glad it's a supra. I have already changed the heads and the snare wires (puresound) and the sound is really great! Thanks again

It looks to me like a previous owner may have sanded off the chrome and perhaps painted the drum, which also seems to be wearing off too. I see what looks like bare aluminum in some spots for sure.

Back