Help I’m old and at a crossroads!!

Limowm

I have been playing drums all my life..
Today is in fact my birthday.. and I’m Whats the line in the Beatles song?
will you still need me will you still feed me.. oh yeah 64 year’s old today.
and I still can outplay some of you wipersnappers alright I took it too far
My dilemma is that for the past few years I’ve been playing electronic..
a Alesis dm8 pro to be exact, but when the module went south I bought a command module and I thought that some drugs.. I mean some other drums had kicked back in , like a flash of your first Sears set only with cross talks.. conference's in fact it was burp ing had a bad taste and I could have sworn I heard it fart.
so I’m a idiot because everybody knows that you have to have the “new” mesh heads to use that system so I started with buying them one by one and that would have been explained so I looked at kits lots and lots of different types and brands that would work with the new head or module.. but all with the module in the deal made it too much
so when I was doing all this work with my search I found the answer, or so I thought and believe u me I’ve had a few nice drum sets.. but this was a .. a SONOR.. did you hear that the trumpets in the back even when I think SONOR there they are.
but I don’t know if I can play it!!
first of all I want to muffle the thing with duck tape and pillows let alone twenty pieces of gel on every head
it rings and the bass drum doesn’t anybody put an old pillow in the bass drum of a SONOR or is it SAcreligious
Because I have yet to see anyone dare.
I also miss my electronics were I could turn on the pa and all of the gadgets that I had hooked up and to the kind of music that still rocks me out.. jamm but what do I do? Work on the playing of the SONOR f’in trumpets.. or sell them for a Roland that would blow the mind because I got the deal of a lifetime on the SONOR and feel as if it would be wrong to give up. So please hep me I’ve no idea what to do.. thanks for your consideration and reading this bs but I’m seriously not sure what I should do hep
Best of health to you and yours Bill.

hey mate. from deciphering your post I would definitely sell the Sonor and buy a second hand e-kit. either that or buy a custom e-kit from a manufacturer such as Jobeky.

Happy Birthday Sir keep on Rockin' an props to you for capitalizing Sonor so predominately in your post!

Last edited:
I guess we'll start with ..... are you just playing by yourself ..... or are you jamming with other musicians?

There are certainly ways (muffled head choices) that will reign your Sonor kit in to respond the way you want. But acoustic drums are still loud .... so can you have that in your living space? Then there are drum mutes and low volume cymbals ..... that will further reduce noise.

Or .....

You can fix what's wrong with the E-kit.

Or do both.

There is a bifurcation. A split, if you will. We play electronic drums. We play acoustic drums. They are not the same. The dilemma? Eh they are both good. Use acoustic drums when the situation calls for acoustic drums. Use electrics when electrics are appropriate.

Upon your post were you celebrating with anything?..saki?..Hamms?..grainbelt?. Put some electronics with your Sonors..tympani..chimes..limitless possibilities. I remember hearing the Rumbles and the drummer used electronics. For me...real drums would have been better in that setting but the kit sounded ok. Happy birthday young man and welcome.

No it’s not that they are too loud..
I’ve been playing drums for over fifty years and now I’m still playing pretty good, I’m no T Lang but can he funk I mean I can still hang..
But what I’m saying about the SONOR is I’ve always used a strip of cloth under the head to get the ringing out of the drum and in every video I have watched about SONOR they never even think about putting a pillow or anything into the bass, let alone gel or a muffler on any of the toms or snare.. because they sound that good?
I agree that they sound better than any other drums I’ve ever played.
But they ring like the old kitchen phone remember the one with the cord that stretched to the living room and you always had to duck under.,
But to tell you the truth, I was jamming out with my electronics and I sounded amazing, but in comparison.
it’s as if I went from strumming a ukulele to play a.stradivarius.
but the truth is that age will surprise you, and will happen quicker than you think.
I don’t feel like I’m in my 60”s I’m a drummer and we don’t age like others but anyhow I have to sell the SONOR because I don’t have what it takes anymore to play a set like that.
I’ll tell you what I’ve spent the last two days cleaning them, and the guy who sold them to me, should be sent to jail or wasn’t that much of a drummer.. because they were filthy, and looked as if they had never been wiped down let alone waxed and polished..
I’m talking about SONOR and I had one of the first double bass kits back in the day 68” when Ludwig premiered the pearl finish psychedelic red, and I definitely think I deserved them as I was studying under the best old German teacher on music row in Chicago, and when caught jamming on my pad instead of paraflaming or whatever he broke a 1A over my head and after telling him that I would at ten or eleven kill his old @ss and beat him like a.. I was brought back in by my guitar players father to beg forgiveness.
because Iwouldn’t be able to continue to play with his son, who went on to be pretty famous and would have been a monster if he had taken certain opportunities.. but I digress.
I apologized to the old guy, and was blessed to be able to return to his instruction.. and one of the first things that he had taught me is that the most important note that a drummer will play, is the rest!
so I’ve got a beautiful set of world class drums for sale, and will continue to play with my dream of playing the electronics someday on the street.. Busking only have the triggers on a motorized bicycle I also build and the pa speakers in the trailer attached behind.
so I’m going to be more interesting nuts, then just old?
wait until you see me and hear what I play.. coming soon to a street in Austin
Thanks for any consideration for an old mans dream.
or even putting up with my sense of humor. As they called me in high school.. The Beat 2664C402-3C14-477A-BD39-8EEC4D683574.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F44CAA0-D65A-4DAE-9C79-6E172A10E543.jpeg
    2F44CAA0-D65A-4DAE-9C79-6E172A10E543.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 12
hey mate. from deciphering your post I would definitely sell the Sonor and buy a second hand e-kit. either that or buy a custom e-kit from a manufacturer such as Jobeky.
I can tell by your response and respect that I would out play you with popsicle sticks and a tin can off the street. Thanks

I feel like I just ran an obstacle course.

Here's what I got...
1. You had an electronic drumset.
2. Now you have an acoustic, and it's very loud.
3. Asking for advice: keep the drums and muffle them; or, buy another eKit.

Is that about it?
Not at all but I have tried again to explain it.. thanks for the chance to get help with the problem.. Beat

First off, happy belated birthday! I love the Beatles song you referenced.

That's a simple search on YouTube for muffling techniques. What type of heads are on the Sonors? Switching to a coated head--Remo coated Ambassador, Evans UV1, Aquarian Texture Coated--ALL good choices as far as I'm concerned. The Remos are most popular probably.

Alot of people use "moon gels" to dampen their drums. You can remove them, move them, clean them, re-use them, use more than one, cut them in 1/2, whatever. Doesn't leave the mess like using tape. A pillow for the bass drum, or foam, or cloting, or. . . .really whatever you want, at how much you want.

I enjoy long story-like posts. However, if you tell the people here EXACTLY what you are after, THEY'LL DELIVER! Some guys will just pass by the extra long posts.

And I think you should keep both kits and get them to your liking. Obviously you have upkeep with an acoustic kit. But you can still sit behind and play even if the power is out.

Good Luck!

....... playing the electronics someday on the street.. Busking only have the triggers on a motorized bicycle I also build and the pa speakers in the trailer attached behind.
so I’m going to be more interesting nuts, then just old?
Well, we all chose our own path. I embraced the dark side (electronics :LOL:) about 20 years ago. But I'm more a hybrid kit kinda guy. Basically started by adding a Roland SPD-S and loop station to my acoustic kit. And from there, the dog was off the chain. Korg Wave drum, Mandala pad (ver. 1),two Nord 1 modules, and a vintage Tama Techstar kit.

I tend to gravitate to acoustic cymbals ..... that's my quirk;) And I look at electronics as "another instrument" ..... rather than a replacement for acoustic drums (I'm down to 8 acoustic kits, now).

But you sound like you've picked a lane ..... good luck with your adventure, and keep us posted.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
  • paiste 2.jpg
    paiste 2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 10
Drums sound much different from out in front than they do to the drummer sitting behind them. What you hear as ringing is good tone from out front. If you are playing with other musicians, muffled drums sound like cardboard. I am 64 too and use no muffling on the toms at all. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

Not at all but I have tried again to explain it.. thanks for the chance to get help with the problem.. Beat

All good.

I read your second post. Sounds like you've decided to sell the acoustics.

Do what is best for you, and keep playing (y)

Mark speaks truth. I tune my drums for the audience, not the stage guys. Sounds great in the audience. On stage not as much. A little ring and O-Tones....that actually are essential for a resolved great tone

I can tell by your response and respect that I would out play you with popsicle sticks and a tin can off the street. Thanks
... Excuse me? I was being kind to you and giving my advice. I have no idea who you are, but being rude on a forum is not a good look. Best of luck with your journey.

Back