HELP! Gretsch Renown Purewood

a local drum and guitar shop has a Gretsch Renown Purewood Oak kit in stock, these purewood kits are supposed to be limited in quanities. this kit is a 2009 oak 6 piece schell pack, 18x22 bd,8x10and 9x12 racks toms w/rims mounts,14x14,16x16 ft's w/legs and a matching 6 1/2x14 snare drum. this kit is finished in a black satin oil making it a 1 of 1 kit. supposed to be the only 2009 oak in this finish. i realy like the kit and am thinking about pulling the trigger so to speak. as it stands i can get it for $1700 U.S. does this sound like a fair deal? i dont realy care about the 1 of 1 issue if thats even true. i sure could use some input on this deal.
thanks, John

harryconway

Platinum Member
If it's talkin' to you, I'd pull the trigger. All the Gretsch Purewoods I've seen are beautiful, and all the cats I know who own purewoods love 'em.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Hey John, welcome to Drummerworld!

The release of this new Purewood Oak took me by surprise! Being a happy Purewood owner myself (the Mahogany), I'm always interested to see the latest offerings. I was the first to break the news on the forum about the last two kits in Rosewood and Bubinga, but I hadn't heard about the oak until I saw your post. So I went to the Gretsch website to check it out. Couldn't find the usual announcement/product page that tells how many kits they are making, but it's always 100 or less. But I did find this video:
http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=setupvideo

My opinion? Go for it! They are absolutely great drums. And that's a great price for a 5-piece kit, not much more than a standard maple Renown. Plus it'll hold it's value better than the maple, due to its limited release. The fact that's it's black is really interesting. Wonder why that is? They made one black kit as a test, then decided to do the rest natural? Guess that makes it all the more rare, though. Is it a satin finish like the natural version? Black oak sounds pretty damn striking to me.

As far as quality and beauty and price, you won't be disappointed if you get it. I think you should be asking yourself a couple of questions, though: The oak is going to be pretty loud and brighter than maple or some other woods. Is that what you'd want? (Have you played on it yet and heard it for yourself?) And do you like the black? Or would you prefer the natural version?

Good luck, and let us know what you decide...

Rimshot 1111

a local drum and guitar shop has a Gretsch Renown Purewood Oak kit in stock, these purewood kits are supposed to be limited in quanities. this kit is a 2009 oak 6 piece schell pack, 18x22 bd,8x10and 9x12 racks toms w/rims mounts,14x14,16x16 ft's w/legs and a matching 6 1/2x14 snare drum. this kit is finished in a black satin oil making it a 1 of 1 kit. supposed to be the only 2009 oak in this finish. i realy like the kit and am thinking about pulling the trigger so to speak. as it stands i can get it for $1700 U.S. does this sound like a fair deal? i dont realy care about the 1 of 1 issue if thats even true. i sure could use some input on this deal.
thanks, John

John,

Is this the kit you speak of? This is a 1 of a kind 2009 Purewood Oak in Satin Black. I came across it the other day from a google search.

Here is the link. http://www.huberbreese.com/product....819706FB6AE700963F.qscstrfrnt01?productId=181

They show it for $2100. So if you can get it for $1700 I would do it!

Get it now! Its Gorgeous!

I personally own two Gretsch New Classic Kits. One in Vintage Glass and one Limited Edition with Bubinga Inlay. I attached a sample pick below. The picture is not my kit but a sample picture. I will get some of mine up soon.

Regards,

Matthew

Attachments

• DSC03926.jpg
    DSC03926.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 2,684
Last edited:

Rimshot 1111

Sorry, here is the Gretch New Classic limited Edition in Natural Gloss w/ Bubinga Inlays.

Attachments

• photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,314
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,318
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,281
  • !BYb,GSw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKhd1M)PK!~~_3.jpg
    !BYb,GSw!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKhd1M)PK!~~_3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,322
  • !BYb,EY!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV48!BKhd1DFzQQ~~_3.jpg
    !BYb,EY!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV48!BKhd1DFzQQ~~_3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,323
  • !BYb,DEQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBKhd08C6vQ~~_3.jpg
    !BYb,DEQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(0GPBKhd08C6vQ~~_3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,344
  • !BYb,CFQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmgM5VBKhd02L+pQ~~_3.jpg
    !BYb,CFQ!2k~$(KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmgM5VBKhd02L+pQ~~_3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,329
  • !BYb,BDQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKhd0)DVQ!~~_3.jpg
    !BYb,BDQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLm(F82BKhd0)DVQ!~~_3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2,351
  • photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,276

Gretsch09

When I saw the pure wood Bubinga kit....I had to have it! I'm feelin' the same attraction to this black oak! It's freakin sexy dude! You should absolutely get it! Sweet price!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
MAN......I like both of those kits. Black Walnut and the New Classic. Wow x's two.