Help deciding on maple kit...

force3005

Silver Member
So apparently the kit of your dreams is an intermediate level stencil kit made in China?

I say you’re not dreaming big enough. Look at Gretsch USA, or Pearls Masterworks. Save your pennies and purchase when you can. Between what you have now and these is a well-spent world of difference. Decade Maples? They’re good but nothing to write home about.
:poop::poop::poop:

force3005

Silver Member
Much better than my old Pearl Exports poplar kit, completely stock, straight outta the store, built up by employees at Guitar center...
I hope!!!

I saved all the pennies i could find, this kit is a little over $2,400. The rack and stands/hardware are all top quality...so my old poplar shell's vs new Maple shell's is what it comes down too, hopefully its good 'nuff!

Havent played in years, so couldnt wrap my head around paying anymore than that! Got a good deal on the Decade shells anyhow. The Gretsch Catalina was the other option for me, but that wouldve been more for shells.

Thanks!
John. Just have fun with your new kit and play, play play till the sun goes down.:):):)

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Much better than my old Pearl Exports poplar kit, completely stock, straight outta the store, built up by employees at Guitar center...
I hope!!!

I saved all the pennies i could find, this kit is a little over $2,400. The rack and stands/hardware are all top quality...so my old poplar shell's vs new Maple shell's is what it comes down too, hopefully its good 'nuff!

Havent played in years, so couldnt wrap my head around paying anymore than that! Got a good deal on the Decade shells anyhow. The Gretsch Catalina was the other option for me, but that wouldve been more for shells.

Thanks!
Did I miss something? This kit costs $2400? I thought you were paying $150. Is the $2400 some retail value or something?

If you like the drums, that’s all that matters, however, I think there are several on this forum who think you probably could have found something of a higher quality without breaking the bank. Just an observation.

john352050

The used shells I was gunna buy ended up falling through, ended up buying new, the 5pc SHELLS only from sweetwater, those were $500.

My bad, i was thinking of the total.
But with the shells and rack, DW3000 double bass pedal, stands, Zildjian "Quiet pack" with silent stroke heads, and also Paiste PST5 cymbal pack, hardware, etc, etc. Couple new sticks, isolation headphones, drum tuner, throne, etc....all that was $2400.

So the total kit itself was something like 2g, maybe a little more. This was a complete setup, all new. Only extras were what i listed above (may have forgot a couple extras)

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well, good for you. The Pearl hasn't been around as long as the other two kits, so you'll gonna have to be point man for us on how Decade Maple performs.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You'll enjoy the Decades-$500 for a 5 piece is great. I played them with the stock heads for several months before replacing with better heads. They have a ton of tone and resonate forever. I'm not sure of the "type" of maple but is a nice warm sound compared to my Pearl Vision Birch kit I had. They can be finicky tuning so if you need help just ask. My shell pack didn't have a snare so not familiar with Decade snare. I got the 13/16/24 shell pack which I love the 13 in tom and 24 kick drum-the 16 in is the finicky one and not so much the 6 lugs as the thin shells can produce over tones if both batter and reso heads aren't dialed in. Sound like you got about every bell and whistle that took me years to collect LOL. So welcome back to drumming!!!!

john352050

I'm a big fan of Pearl, but I know a lot of people who have found the Gretsch to be long-lasting
I've heard that as well, and all about the Gretsch "sound", but came across a post somewhere online from a guy claiming to work at the Gretsch factory (in the USA), talking about what crappy quality control there was and how they would just churn out drums so fast they didn't care if there were mistakes, etc...especially in the lower priced drums they make like the Catalina Maple (my second choice)...

Might've been a pissed off customer, but since Ive worked factory jobs, churning out products, I know the feeling and how upsetting it can be to watch sub-par items go out for the masses (who think they've paid for "quality USA made products")

Did seem to come across a few post about the finish on the Catalina looking like crap, where there (supposedly) would be an ugly looking seam on the shells. And the Cat would've been a few hundred more vs. Decade.

Last edited:

john352050

You'll enjoy the Decades-$500 for a 5 piece is great. I played them with the stock heads for several months before replacing with better heads. They have a ton of tone and resonate forever. I'm not sure of the "type" of maple but is a nice warm sound compared to my Pearl Vision Birch kit I had. They can be finicky tuning so if you need help just ask. My shell pack didn't have a snare so not familiar with Decade snare. I got the 13/16/24 shell pack which I love the 13 in tom and 24 kick drum-the 16 in is the finicky one and not so much the 6 lugs as the thin shells can produce over tones if both batter and reso heads aren't dialed in. Sound like you got about every bell and whistle that took me years to collect LOL. So welcome back to drumming!!!!
Many thanks for your reply! Searched around online for the lowest price for the 5pc, most places had it for $100 to $200 more.
Yeah Ive read that the floor tom especially can be finicky to tune and keep dialed in, and the kick can take a little time too.
It'll be interesting to see if the 14" maple snare has decent sound, seems like most shell packs or complete kits that come with a snare are horrible, but most reviews (which may have been 'brought to you by Pearl') talk about how it shines...so we'll see.
Its good to hear the stock heads are decent enough for a bit. Didn't buy new heads, except for the silent stroke's.
Appreciate the offer for tuning them up, I'm sure I'll take you up on that soon enough!

Just really excited to set up the kit. I'm sure it'll take me a bit to figure out the rack, never owned one (went with the Gibraltar 500 height adjustable).

Probably stare at it for 15 mins then go out in Dana Carvey mode!
"I like to play"