Help deciding New 24" Ride

pepino

Hi there, I need help deciding between this ride cymbals, I'm pretty much a Zildjian guy, I'm not a big fan of mixing brands, but for my ride I really having trouble deciding with this options:

24" A Zildjian Medium Ride
24" Giant Beat Paiste Ride
24" 2002 Big Ride Paiste

I'm a heavy hitter and I crash A LOT my rides, I just want the best option of those 3

thanks

here's another option, find a ride you like reguardless of the size, i know sabian will do this for no extra charge so i bet zildjian and paiste will to. but once you found that perfect ride send and email to the manufacturer and ask them if it's possible to get that model made in a 24".

if anything at least your not confined to just what's on the shelf in a 24"....

i own a 24" Byzance Traditional Medium ride, i have had a chance to play all three you have listed, i dont think i will ever buy another 24", 20's are nice, 22's got a little more meat on the bone, but 24's slide into the "gongy" range, just seems to be a little too much cymbal, just my 2 cents though - if you put a gun to my head - the Giant Beat...

There's nothing gongy aout the 24" Giant Beat... I have one. Even the crash isn't gongy at all, just huge and dark.

The weight of the Giant Beats is probably my favorite thickness. Everything is crashable, and the monster ride doesn't wash out. I'd suggest that above the others.

The weight of the Giant Beats is probably my favorite thickness. Everything is crashable, and the monster ride doesn't wash out. I'd suggest that above the others.

Exactly. I wish they made a 17... I'd just buy that and the 20. The 18 would still be just a touch dark for a high crash in my opinion but the 20 and 24 would be perfect for two awesome crash rides.

Try the 24" K Light Ride. I hear those are very crashable rides. Someone on here has one, but I can't remember who atm... But that's not one of your 3 options.

The A Zildjian is probably the least crashable of those, but Thomas Pridgen uses one and crashes the hell out of it.

Rev Al's Big Ride is supposed to be the 2oo2 answer to the Giant Beat, so they're probably going to sound pretty similar - because they are in thickness. So take your pick - shiney 2oo2, or green/pink/brown iridescent Giant Beat.

After several great comments, I recently got a Sabian APX 24" ride, and LOVE it!! I think you'll find it has a great Giant Beat vibe for probably $100 less.

Bermuda

tell us what other cymbals you have or planing to get , so that we can give you a better advice because some cymbals don't blend very well

tell us what other cymbals you have or planing to get , so that we can give you a better advice because some cymbals don't blend very well

My cymbal set up is

14" A custom mastersound Hi hats
18" A Custom Medium Crash
21" A Sweet Ride (Brilliant) as a crash
17" K Custom Dark China
20" A Medium Ride as a crash

I would go with the 2002. I feel like it has a nice bright tone that would go well with your A Customs and I feel like its the most versatile of your choices. If you're not afraid to stray away from Zildjians.

To my taste I dont like crashing my Zildjian 24" Medium ride, too much washy overtone. If it was on a thinner side it could propably be another story.

I have a 24" K Light Ride. I swear by it, but I had to search through about 6 other ones before I found the one that "spoke" to me. If you find one that's either lighter or tapers to a pretty thin edge, it will be VERY crashable. Even the heavier ones would be more crashable than a 24" A Medium Ride, I think. It's worth checking out if you're planning on possibly dropping around 400 big ones for a Giant Beat...

My cymbal set up is

14" A custom mastersound Hi hats
18" A Custom Medium Crash
21" A Sweet Ride (Brilliant) as a crash
17" K Custom Dark China
20" A Medium Ride as a crash

first of all , nice cymbal set!! second, I think that both paiste would sound too glassy compared with your other cymbals, so I'd go with the a zildjian. if you are a hard hitter you won't have any problem crashing it, but if you do , you must try: dream bliss and my personal favourite : the dream contact 24" ride (it has a better bell, better stick definition, less trashy and higher pitch than the bliss ride but still a very complex cymal)

After several great comments, I recently got a Sabian APX 24" ride, and LOVE it!! I think you'll find it has a great Giant Beat vibe for probably $100 less.

Bermuda

I can second this.

My 24" APX is almost an exact cross between the 2002 and Giant Beat (which I also own). I've had the APX for almost 2 years now. It records great too.

Playing them side by side (the APX and GB), it was kind of a "why bother" with buying the GB, but I did like how the GB felt and it's crash is smooth.

The APX has a great bell, which the GB is kind of lacking for louder music IMO. If your guitar player uses a 4x12 cabinet, the GB will get swallowed.
I know Bonham used a GB too, so before anyone jumps on what I said, Jimmy Page's sound is totally different than what most guitar players use these days. He didn't use tons of crunchy, processed distortion on his guitar that totally cover the frequencies of a GB like a blanket.

About 9 years ago I also owned a Zildjian 24" medium ride and honestly, it sounded like suck (special order too :-( ). I owned other Medium rides that were really nice too...but, the bell was crap, the ride sound was gongy, and the crash was horid. The total wrong cymbal for me haha!
I sold it to someone I know who uses super huge sticks (Quantam 9000 nylons!) and liked the clang it made.

If you are a heavy player, and crash the ride a lot (so do I), the APX is one to really check out before you buy anything else.

That's my suggestion.

Thanks for all the replies, I've been looking around in the Paiste site, and I think I like the sound of the 2002 ride 22" more than the 24", maybe the 24" it's a little to dark to my taste, and also I LOVE the way that sounds when Patrick Carney form The Black Keys play it, what do you guys think?, should I go with the 22" 2002 ride and have a mix cymbal set up?, and do someone knows wish Zildjian Ride sounds like the 2002 ?

Back