HELP!! Brass Snare Question

davezedlee

never had a problem with drummaker. It just seems like they went through a rough patch that can happen sometimes, especially in this economy. The parts can be sketchy to get sometimes since they are coming from China. This is one of the reasons Drum Foundry no longer sells parts- too much of a hassle for nickel and dime profits. Took them 3 months to get me lugs one time because they had to be made and put on a ship. They sometimes have to wait for a big enough order before they will ship, as they won't just make a few lugs and ship them from China. And yeah, not many 3 mm drum shells being sold out there, as I'm sure Pearl has a dibs on the supplies so they can sell the drums for 1000$.
yeah, but its been extremely well-documented that for a year or so they were aggressively pursuing new orders while ignoring ones currently placed (and ignoring emails for an explanation)

plus, the "same 10 or 15 posters" were really more like 80-120 individuals, some who STILL never got their stuff

its all very well-documented.... they even got their own TV episode from a Consumer Reports-style show on Fox, no less

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Gentlemen, Ladies, Andy is here to answer questions about his business and as prudent buyers you have a choice to either buy or not buy. No one has the privilege to spread gossip or third party innuendo. If you have a problem with the business settle it through a PM or directly with the website/business owner. Andy has detailed what he thinks were the issues in the past and has explained them as he understands the problems. His site was given as a reference to another member looking to buy a drum.
Let's move on. And stay on topic. Thank you.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I should point out that in my earlier comments I thought the Pearl FF was a thick shell but I was wrong, apologies if that was misleading.

What I would like to add though - I won an AHEAD black on brass snare 14x6 snare drum recently, I never would have bought one since I already own a black beauty but this little thing has become my go to snare. It's not as loud or resonant as the black beauty and that's why I love it, it's well behaved but it has more 'crack'. It is a welded shell but it has s-hoops, a trick throw off and a 42 strand snare. It still has lots of sensitivity and it's quite dark and dry.

porter

Platinum Member
I should point out that in my earlier comments I thought the Pearl FF was a thick shell but I was wrong, apologies if that was misleading.

What I would like to add though - I won an AHEAD black on brass snare 14x6 snare drum recently, I never would have bought one since I already own a black beauty but this little thing has become my go to snare. It's not as loud or resonant as the black beauty and that's why I love it, it's well behaved but it has more 'crack'. It is a welded shell but it has s-hoops, a trick throw off and a 42 strand snare. It still has lots of sensitivity and it's quite dark and dry.
I have the 13x6" version as well and it's very, very nice. Mine has an older model of Dunnett throwoff that doesn't hold tension very well, but I'm replacing it with a newer one. Responds very well to S-Hoops (and die-cast) and sounds great pretty much everywhere.