Help a new drummer decide on cymbals plz!

Hi,

I'm a new drummer that is trying to assemble their first acoustic kit. Taking many experienced drummers' advice; I am not planning to cheap out on cymbals. This is what I am looking to pull the trigger on real soon;

1. Zildjian A Sweet Ride 21"

2. Zildjian 14" New Beat Hi-Hats

3. Zildjian 19" K Custom Dark Crash
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.41.15 PM.png

Knowing that you guys have a more experienced eye than I do, is there anything I should be wary about with these specific cymbals?

Thanks in advance! :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
On paper they sound great. Really great.

But it's kind of like saying that I want to date a girl named Carly.

Will I like a girl just because her name is Carly? There's much more to it than that.

Hopefully you can hear them, all together preferably...before you buy.

But the plan is a good plan.

You could go to mycymbal.com and listen with headphones to the cymbals you are considering to verify they are what you want.

I've had good luck (nine times) ordering from there by just listening to the videos, and trying to imagine if the exact cymbal I'm listening to is trigger-worthy.

Last edited:
On paper they sound great. Really great.

But it's kind of like saying that I want to date a girl named Carly.

Will I like a girl just because her name is Carly? There's more to it than that.

Hopefully you can hear them, all together preferably...before you buy.

But the plan is a good plan.
I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, there is no way to hear these before I buy them (other than sound demos of the model on YT, which is how I decided the ones I like best). My question is more along the lines of "anything suspicious about these cymbals?". I'm at the stage where I don't know what I don't know haha

Just wanted to have a couple of players with a trained eye look at them just in case there's a glaring problem that I can't see :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There's nothing suspicious about the choice of cymbals. They are rock solid choices. It's all about whether you love them or just like them.

There is a way to hear the exact cymbal you want to buy. And be able to pick from multiple versions of the same cymbal.

Mycymbal.com

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Here’s the thing about cymbals—if you are a “cymbal guy”, then you’ll find that you are very picky about cymbals, and you’ll need to be extra careful about buying-before-hearing. I’m not a cymbal guy at all, and I have weak, generic opinions on cymbal sound. But some people are the exact opposite.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Your list is exceptionally good. You can buy those cymbals unheard with almost no chance of getting bad ones. This is as close to being a fail-safe list as possible. It's a near-perfect start, and an excellent base for refining your tastes later, if necessary. Just buy 'em. And buy used - for obvious reasons.

(And, yes, there are minor changes I would make to your list, but none of them are imperative. So right now I'll refrain from suggestions.)

I can't see the scratches you ask about in the last post and picture, but as long as they are scratches and not cracks, they are of no concern whatsoever. That's a very good ride.

GeeDeeEmm

Your list is exceptionally good. You can buy those cymbals unheard with almost no chance of getting bad ones. This is as close to being a fail-safe list as possible. It's a near-perfect start, and an excellent base for refining your tastes later, if necessary. Just buy 'em. And buy used - for obvious reasons.

(And, yes, there are minor changes I would make to your list, but none of them are imperative. So right now I'll refrain from suggestions.)

I can't see the scratches you ask about in the last post and picture, but as long as they are scratches and not cracks, they are of no concern whatsoever. That's a very good ride.

GeeDeeEmm
Hey! Thanks for chiming in.

In the picture of the ride, there seems to be some wear around the hole, on the top of the cymbal. But doesn’t look like a crack, so that’s good.