help a comeback player pick (?)

gregcon

Hi! I played a Slingerland, Buddy Rich set w/ A Zildj. cymbals, all purchased new, back in the earlt 70's. I played them until bailing out and selling everything a couple decades ago. I'd like to get a good quality set to pick it back up. Help!? Can you point me in a good direction? I want something good, but I can't afford to go top shelf. No entry level junk either though. Good tone, solid hardware required. I don't expect to be doing much other than basement jamming at this point.
Thank you*

Greg

larryz

Platinum Member
Do you want new or used, vintage? Slingerlands are a good bargain on the vintage market right now. Granted they'd be close to 40 years old now but still sound sweet, classic etc. Personally, that's what I'd do. I think it's pointless buying a new kit to recreate a "classic" sound and pay through the nose for it. Unless you're gigging heavily and need something new. Ludwig USA Classic Maples brand new cost an arm and both legs. Just go to right to the point and get the originals. Could probably pickup a great Slingerland kit for $500-700. Just my opinion. Keep us updated.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Anything that is mid level that is made by
Pearl
Tama
Yamaha
Sonor
Drum Workshop
Mapex
Taye
Ludwig
Gretsch

They are all good drums.
Simply visit their sites and pick a kit with the features and finishes that you like.

Happy drumkit hunting.
You should be able to put together a great new 5 piece kit with hardware and cymbals for $2000 to $2500 USD.

Last edited:

markdrum

Silver Member
justdrumsonline has a great deal on Mapex Saturns. They are great drums and the price is unreal. Crush makes a good drum as well. Happy Hunting and welcome back.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Go used. Assuming you're in the States, there should be plenty of room to move on vintage Ludwigs, Gretsch, Slingerlands, Rogers etc etc.....any of those will easily recaputre that sound of your youth!!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
+ 1.Why not stick with what you know.Just set a budget,and start looking around.Slingerland fron that era are still great sounding drums.The bad news is that in the early 70's,the Buddy Rich 80 N was about 750 US RETAIL,without cymbals.I'm guessing you paid around 725-750 with cymbals.That same kit of 70's vintage in very good condition now would go for 1500 to 2500,without cymbals easily,as that particular model is very sought after by collectors,and players.

The good news is that you can pick up Slingerland kits in good condition mid 60's to early 70's in a different, more common finishes for under 1000,and sometimes for around 500.Keep your eyes on craigslist,ebay,and Guitar Center used drums.Bargains do appear,but you have to be ready to jump on them.Condition and originallity is everything.

You also have to decide if you don't mind playing a kit that was altered,to make it more useable,as some drummers didn't like Slingerland hardware of that era.So, they replaced it with more modern stuff,and in doing so, the shells have extra holes,and non-original hardware.Its ok to buy a kit like that if you strictly just want a player.But....pay a lot less for it.Modified kits should sell for 35 to 50% less than if it was collectable and in very good,unaltered condition.

Watch Ebay for current market values,and spend accordingly.Good luck.:)

Steve B

gregcon

What a GREAT idea! .... so, I did!

'73, I think. Yellowed Marine Pearl, all original, New Rock Set! ... just like I bought new & played 35 years ago!

gregcon

$730, not too bad, stumbled across the in a Sam Ash. Someone traded up and I got em down $200 from what they were asking. Full disassembly & cleaning, next up!

Miight be 70-72 era, not positive. I think '73. 113xxx numbers.

larryz

Platinum Member
Way to go. Nice pickup. Yellow on white marine pearl is always a sure thing. Gives it character though. Aahh, 1973...I'd put Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' album on and have at it. Congrats. If you need a (sort of) matching snare let me know....

I have a 4 piece Pearl Masters MCX kit in diamond glitter for sale. 750.00

perfect condition. pm me if you want pics or might be interested.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
With those serial numbers,a rough guess would be 72-73.There should be(but not always) dates stamped inside the shell,along with a capitol letter P,which means pearl finish.3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany.plenty of low end,and nice and warm and fat sounding drums.COB Krupa snare,and they sound amazing.You got a great deal if the're in good condition,which they look to be.

Now go out and get some 70's Zildjians or Paistes and you'll be playing some classic rock,before you can say Danny Serephine(Chicago).:)

Steve B

eamesuser

Silver Member
Very nice kit at a very nice price,the Gene Krupa snare are not real expensive,but are one of the best deals on a vintage/used brass snare out there.

Fair market would be around 180.00 avg,so you got the shell pack and tom mount for 550.00,
for a kit that looks to be unaltered and in nice shape.

Well done,enjoy them.