Help, 18" ride cymbal?

Good Karma

I've played a 4 piece for about 25 years and I added another rack tom, 10 & 12 and offset them to the left because I don't want to give up my ride cymbal placement. So by adding the 10" it pushed my 12" over some with has cause my 21" ride to cover more of my floor tom. This is an easy fix, smaller ride....Any suggestions on a good sounding 18" ride cymbal to correct this issue?
Not to many 18" rides on the market that I could find.
Thanks for the feedback

buddhadrummer

Kinda hard to suggest with such little information about the music and your playing style, etc. IN the past I've had really good success in a loudish guitar indie rock thing using an older K Crash Ride (pre-pin-lathing). 18" as a ride is tough but if you're willing to compromise you can get away with it. An 18" can sound high or even thin as a ride, so I went with a flatter profile, plus a little bit but not too heavy. The flatter curvature lowered the overall pitch but the heavier weight gave me a bit more brightness and volume, along with a good sized cup. The newly redesigned Zildjian A Crash ride would work well, too, in almost any situation. I was really happy using the 18" K though.

mikyok

Platinum Member
There's lots of 18" rides, just big cymbals are in vogue.

Nicest one I ever played was a 5 Star Super Zyn.

Personally I could never sacrifice a ride cymbal just to have another tom.
This is my train of thought. Ride cymbal is the most important cymbal on the kit.

NouveauCliche

I've played a 4 piece for about 25 years and I added another rack tom, 10 & 12 and offset them to the left because I don't want to give up my ride cymbal placement. So by adding the 10" it pushed my 12" over some with has cause my 21" ride to cover more of my floor tom. This is an easy fix, smaller ride....Any suggestions on a good sounding 18" ride cymbal to correct this issue?
Not to many 18" rides on the market that I could find.
Thanks for the feedback
Zildjian made an 18" Session ride - apparently a Steve Gadd input series based on stuff he had been playing for years.

Zildjian and Gadd seem like a trust worthy combo for producing a good ride - but I never heard one in person to give you anything but the model to research.

I owned an 18" K Flat ride that was MONEY - but a flat ride is a very specific sound that you may or not be after.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I have an 18”Session Ride but I never use it. It’s surprisingly heavy, an unlathed thick K Custom with deep hammering. A bit dead and pingy for my tastes these days. Would make a good barbecue plate though.