Help, 18" ride cymbal?

Good Karma

I've played a 4 piece for about 25 years and I added another rack tom, 10 & 12 and offset them to the left because I don't want to give up my ride cymbal placement. So by adding the 10" it pushed my 12" over some with has cause my 21" ride to cover more of my floor tom. This is an easy fix, smaller ride....Any suggestions on a good sounding 18" ride cymbal to correct this issue?
Not to many 18" rides on the market that I could find.
Thanks for the feedback

Peedy

I’ll admit to a vintage bias. Then I would look for a 60s 18 at around 1400 to 1450 grams. I use my 1265g thin crash as a ride personally but that’s my taste.
Pete

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Back in the 80s Dave Weckl made 18" rides popular - Zildjian even cranked out a K Custom 18". They're not as popular as they were then, but I have to think there are hundreds of them out there waiting to be sold?

Personally though, since you play the ride cymbal more than you'd play the toms, I'd stick with the ride you have and love. Adjust your playing. I tend to go between a 4-piece and a 5-piece and obviously, the 4-piece is more comfortable, but it's not that big of an adjustment when you add a rack tom.

newoldie

Silver Member
Sabian has a new 18" flat ride based on a cymbal Roy Haynes used and gave to Chick Corea; has great articulation and can crash- released on NAMM this year

drumnut87

firstly id play about with the setup positioning of the toms, i've got 13" and 14" toms and it made my ride placement a bit tricky at first but working my setup out i managed to fit it in without too much problems.

if you want a smaller ride,look up amedia cymbals USA and get in touch with dominick, he'll sort you out with a decent 18"/19"/20" ride if you want a smaller ride for a not a lot of $$$ :)

roncadillac

I've been playing the Zildjian 18" A uptown ride for over a year now and I love it. I use it as my ONLY cymbal besides hi hats (even those I don't use all the time). Before this I got a used 18" A series medium ride and hated it, it had a loud bell-like pingy overtone. It sounded like a mini earth ride. Surprisingly the crusty unlathed uptown ride is more musical and versatile then the lathed medium ride.

Last edited:

Soulfinger

Yep, the Uptown Ride is a good one. In a similar vein, Sabian has the Garage Ride in 18".
Paiste used to have 18" rides in their regular line-up - the 2002 is a great cymbal and shouldn´t be too hard to find used.

Of course you could always raise and angle your 21" but where´s the fun in that? :D

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you like the way your ride sounds, I'd just raise it and angle it a little bit more.

It doesn't seem to borrow Nicko. I just don't see how he does it (but he manages to hit the toms when he means to. I guess this is one of the many reasons why he plays for Maiden and I don't.).

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
That's funny I've been doing similar in wanting a smaller ride-less volume and space my interest. I bought (actually it was an Xmas gift-so I picked it out) a Dream Bliss Vintage 17 in Crash/Ride which sounds great as a washy quiet crash but as a ride it's iffy and I miss my 22 in K con too much so I'm "sticking" with the 22" ride. Though recently I added tape to bottom of Bliss and it seems to be helping it as a quiet small ride (so I haven't given up quite yet).

roncadillac

Zildjian makes a few 19" rides in the A line (or used to atleast, haven't looked in awhile) so that may be worth exploring and it's 'unusual' size may lend well to low used prices. An extra inch of diameter probably won't take as much set up space as you think but it will feel like more real estate under the stick.

RickP

Gold Member
Back in the 80s Dave Weckl made 18" rides popular - Zildjian even cranked out a K Custom 18". They're not as popular as they were then, but I have to think there are hundreds of them out there waiting to be sold?

Personally though, since you play the ride cymbal more than you'd play the toms, I'd stick with the ride you have and love. Adjust your playing. I tend to go between a 4-piece and a 5-piece and obviously, the 4-piece is more comfortable, but it's not that big of an adjustment when you add a rack tom.
I think you are confusing Dave Weckl with Steve Gadd . Weckl used a 20” K custom ride when he was with Zildjian . Steve Gadd used an 18” K Custom prototype for years until it broke . His 18” K Custom Seasion ride sounds and looks nothing like his original prototype ride .

A good 18” ride is rare these days . Try and find a used 18” K Zildjian Pre- aged K Dry Light ride . There are some great and not so great versions of these .

Paiste used to make ride cymbals as small as 16” back in the day . You can find used Paiste 18” rides in a variety of series that pop up occasionally.

Sabian used to make an 18” AA El Sabir ride that was excellent - equally good as a crash or ride . I have played quite a few and they were all excellent .

Peedy

A good 18” ride is rare these days . Try and find a used 18” K Zildjian Pre- aged K Dry Light ride . There are some great and not so great versions of these .

Agreed. The most choices are going to come out of A. Zildjian from the 1930s through the 1960s. The 30s variants are REALLY expensive as smaller cymbals were the norm back then and 18s or larger are rare. 40s and early 50s are the choice for jazz. They're more complex than a modern Zildjian K but with a similar tone. Late 50s through the 60s are the most numerous and a lot cheaper. Tone is going to be about midway between a modern A and K though maybe just a tad dirtier sounding. A c.1960 example in nice shape should cost you about 120 to 150 USD plus shipping.

Pete

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think you are confusing Dave Weckl with Steve Gadd . Weckl used a 20” K custom ride when he was with Zildjian . Steve Gadd used an 18” K Custom prototype for years until it broke . His 18” K Custom Seasion ride sounds and looks nothing like his original prototype ride .

Paiste used to make ride cymbals as small as 16” back in the day . You can find used Paiste 18” rides in a variety of series that pop up occasionally.

Sabian used to make an 18” AA El Sabir ride that was excellent - equally good as a crash or ride . I have played quite a few and they were all excellent .
No. I’m not confusing them.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Meinl makes a few 18" rides. Not gonna suggest any as I don't know what you are looking for, nor am I all that familiar with them. But they do make them. I'm not talking about the HCS crash/ride either.

roncadillac

Bit of a one trick pony but if you need a ride that is PURE ride (ping and Bell only) and won't be washing it at all, Paiste makes an 18" ride in the 2002 line geared towards metal drummers that is thick, heavy, and loud with atleast 1/4 of it's diameter being it's bell. It will ping and Bell through the largest amp you can throw at it while still being only 18", It's called the "giga bell ride".

If you want something more versatile they also make an 18" crash/ride in the Rude line, crash/rides are usually know for being the 'worst of both' however the Rude line cymbals are a bit heavier and shaped for projection so it should be serviceable as a small ride.

As was said earlier, a regular 18" 2002 should serve you well.

And I'm a Zildjian guy, I never use Paiste but I know they offer some models that may help you.

Good Karma

Thanks Drummerworld, I'll look and try the suggestions. Not sure if I'll keep this set up. Probably go back to a 4 piece.This may sound weird but my ride has to be perfectly comfortable or my playing is off.

roncadillac

Thanks Drummerworld, I'll look and try the suggestions. Not sure if I'll keep this set up. Probably go back to a 4 piece.This may sound weird but my ride has to be perfectly comfortable or my playing is off.
My ride is my only cymbal I use (sometimes not even hats) so I can 1000% percent relate to feeling 'off' if my ride isnt perfect.