hello to all.. and my vintage Ludwigs..

Nickkk

hey guys im new to this forum so hello to all. Here's some pics of my Ludwigs for starters... the kit actually belonged to my dad who had passed them on to me 2 yeas ago so im very lucky to play them in my opinion. modest compared to some of the pics here but they sound massive. i've noticed there is a big community of Ludwig fans here who know alot and its only recently that im researching the kit 's construction etc so the dates may be wrong apart from that, it is as follows:

1975 Ludwig 'Hollywood' 5pc kit in 'Black Panther' matte vinyl wrap (silver sparkle inlay/wrap on bass drum hoops)

Shells:
22 x 14 Maple (grey "granite" coated interior)
12 x 8 tom Clear Maple (not pictured)
13 x 9 tom Clear Maple
16 x 16 floor tom (grey "granite" coated interior)
1975 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 Snare Drum 5x14 w/42 strand Pearl 'I -type' Ultrasound snare wires
Heads:
Remo Coated Ambasador on toms
Remo Coated Emperor Snare batter (Evans hazy 300 reso)
Original Ludwig Weathermaster Kick batter
Original Ludwig Kick Reso (felt strip on batter and reso)
Cymbals:
14" vintage A Zildjan QuickBeat hats
18" Zildjan A Custom Medium Crash
18" vintage Zildjain K crash (c.1950's?)
22" Sabian Paragon Ride
20" vintage Super Zyn Ride (used as crash)

Hardware:
2007 Tama IronCobra single Rolling Glide, Tama Chair 1 Drum Throne. Assorted stands inc Pearl/Yamaha
Sticks:promark Millenuim II 2B Nylon tip / Vic firth 5BN
l_d2f5256220b542daaa86271e3bf25073.jpg

l_e2e5a251c55647e298de86bd9429d2f2.jpg

l_64544ec659224fa5b4d42c1e3eaab0ed.jpg

l_b3db555231334cf2a3d96baca036000c.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet kit!! I've never seen a vintage ludwig in that finish before. Very smooth look to it. I'd love to have a go on a kit like this.

Looks killer!
Why would one want to have the ride(s) so far away, though? Long arms?

Looks killer!
Why would one want to have the ride(s) so far away, though? Long arms?

thanks guys! its weird even the birdseye shot makes them look miles out to the left. the camera is a phone one so its depth of field is a bit wack! the paragon is further out to the left than 'regular' 4piece setups i have seen (ie not over the kick/where the 2nd tom would be) granted but its just how i like it i suppose. i like a spacious set up.

feels good seeing my pics up finally, ive been meaning to do it for ages. thanks for the comments.

Nick

Hey Nickkk, Nice kit man. It's great that your Dad gave you the kit, maybe you can hand them over to your son one day. Those old Luddies sound great. Welcome to the forum. It's a Cool place.

Man, that's a sweet lookin' "Pantha"! Because the wrap was a "plether-ette" material, not too many of those kits survived past 10 years old, as Black Panthers. Gig rash made people re-wrap them. You got a real keeper there. Lookin' totally old school there. Felt strips. Black Dot kick batter. Got me doin' a time warp. Very nice.

Man, that's a sweet lookin' "Pantha"! Because the wrap was a "plether-ette" material, not too many of those kits survived past 10 years old, as Black Panthers. Gig rash made people re-wrap them. You got a real keeper there. Lookin' totally old school there. Felt strips. Black Dot kick batter. Got me doin' a time warp. Very nice.

thank you guys, this forum is a huge place! its a privelage to play them as to me they are priceless in terms of sentimental value with my dad being a well respected drummer locally back in the day. my dad is very careful about keeping things in good condition generally and its no wonder given what these must've cost him back then! he kept them in mint condition. no wonder he got them just before my oldest brother was born before his days of disposable income presumably dissapeared!!

im glad i came to drumming relatively late which has given me alot more respect for the kit than i may have had when i was younger.

Indeed, between the "heirloom" fact, and they're near-mint condition. Just of the top of my head, I'd say, in 75, those drums probably cost about $600. In 75, a cheap new car (Vega) cost around $1200. Back to today, the Chevy Cobalt starts at around $13K. So yeah, your dad dropped a "fair chunk of change on 'em". I had a cheap Japanese "cheesewood" drum kit, a Gracie (?) I think it was. $150, back then, still some cash. But I played a set of Luddies in one of the bands I was in, so I knew what real drums were. Got my first set of Luddies in 1980.

yeah he knew what to invest in thats for sure! i dont know if i could make such a shrewd purchace today, but his motto to me when it comes to musical instruments was always to buy the best you can afford at the time. i do my best to follow that.

i actually have a quick question regarding that Black dot head on the kick if i may. its an original Ludwig head and when it comes to replacing it (it still sounds too good to change despite its age) can these still be found?? i do know Remo do the CS dot in a clear but ideally the white with black would be the one (its a 'gloss' finish as opposed to coated if that helps) i had thought about getting and Emperor coated as a replacement to experiment a little but im guessing as a twin ply head that is not the same as the white original... would there be a sympathetic choice besides an Emperor?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated guys.

Sweet Kit!!!
The older cymbals are freakin great too!

What a great vibe they put out (my boss has a few I'd like to get my hands on from around '66...and his MINT '66 Gold Sparkle 5 piece...).

Not only do those era cymbals sound great, they just look really cool.

Ludwig still offers the Silver Dot heads.

The Remo Smooth White head with Black Dot is Available.

Model # is CS-1222-10 for a 22" head.

Yes, those heads sound good for eons.

Great kit again!

Sweet Kit!!!
The older cymbals are freakin great too!

What a great vibe they put out (my boss has a few I'd like to get my hands on from around '66...and his MINT '66 Gold Sparkle 5 piece...).

Not only do those era cymbals sound great, they just look really cool.

Ludwig still offers the Silver Dot heads.

The Remo Smooth White head with Black Dot is Available.

Model # is CS-1222-10 for a 22" head.

Yes, those heads sound good for eons.

Great kit again!

thanks alot man, you are a star with that model number. i shall look into that for the replacement. much appreciated. and ridiculously sexual kit you have there too if i may say. looks L.O.U.D :)

HEY!! Brother in Black Ludwigs!! I got the Shiny version!! I too LOVE 'em!!

Click the thumbnail!

6 1/2x14 - 402
14x24 - Kick
8x12 - Rack
16x16 - Floor
24in - Zil Ride
16in - Left crash
16in - Right Crash
14in - Hats
Ludwig 1400 series stands
DW 5000 Dbl Pedal

HEY!! Brother in Black Ludwigs!! I got the Shiny version!! I too LOVE 'em!!

Click the thumbnail!

6 1/2x14 - 402
14x24 - Kick
8x12 - Rack
16x16 - Floor
24in - Zil Ride
16in - Left crash
16in - Right Crash
14in - Hats
Ludwig 1400 series stands
DW 5000 Dbl Pedal

ha killer! id love the 24 x14 kick out front! bet its a beast there, cool pic of yours. is the ride mounted to the tom holder? thats ingenious.

Cool set! My first set was a Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl finish - like Ringo's! I got them about 1962, new.
The only one I have now (sadly) is the snare - it is GREAT. I still have some 50's A. Zildjians & they're sounding better all the time...great rides.

The only difficult thing in those days was the Hardware!

Keep on Drumming!

Back