Hello Ludwig players,..

Vandalay

..I'm thinking about getting a classic maple kit in the coming months so I've got hardware questions,..first of all what is your preferred tom mount?..cymbal stand?..rail?..

I have a 1971 Ludwig Hollywood, but I use the current Ludwig Atlas hardware line with it. I have the Atlas Pro pedal, and Atlas Standard hi-hat, boom cymbal, snare stand. I don't gig this kit, but I play on it as if I did. If you gig, consider going with the Atlas Pro hi-hat.

My preferred tom mount is a snare stand with Booty Shakers.

My second choice would be the Ludwig Atlas mount. It looks good, it's low profile, and an over-sized 12" tom case shouldn't be needed. [controversial] Also, I'm of the thought that I'm not really sure how much those suspension rings make THAT much of a difference [/controversial].

thumbnail.asp

Reactions: TJK
I use a Classic Maple kit for gigs. I mount my tom on a snare stand. I don't use the kick for mounting my tom.

I did install a Ludwig cymbal mount on right side of kick. I use it for 16" sizzle ride/ crash. On some gigs that will be the only cymbal I use. If I use more cymbals, I use DW lite cymbal stands. I also use DW lite snare stand for snare, but for tom I use a more beefy PDP standard snare stand.

Hung off a cymbal stand using Yamaha hardware attached to a RIMS suspension mount.

I tried both. Off the cymbal stand and snare stand. I prefer snare stand because I can get it placed pretty much right where I want it and it's also feels very solid. The cymbal stand would shake a bit and I couldn't get the tom far enough a way from my crash.

Dont like male or female tom mounts :) on the Bass, needs to be Virgin
Tom(s)- Ludwig Rims off a cymbal stand, I dont trust the Atlas Mount that replaces a lug, the holes are too high on the shell causing stress.
2 legged PDP high hat stand, cheap but good, the Ludwig Atlas ones are either too high priced or neutered , even Bonham did not use Ludwig HH stands.
Ludwig Atlas Pro Bass Pedal
Ludwig/Atlas cymbal stands (PDP or Gibraltar if on a budget)
Throne is too personal to recommend, I go for the Gibraltar one with the back rest.

I don't have my Ludwigs anymore, but if I was buying a new kit it would definitely have Atlas mounts on the toms, the Atlas Arch on the bass drum, and the same style ride cymbal holder on the bass drum. If buying more than one mounted tom, I would, by all means, purchase the Ludwig double tom stand for them. Ludwig stands have dramatically improved recently, so I'd likely buy all Ludwig cymbal stands, hihat stand, snare stand. I haven't played the new Ludwig BD pedals, so I can't comment on those.

Let us know how it goes!

GeeDeeEmm

Mike_Marsh_IV.jpg

My second choice would be the Ludwig Atlas mount. It looks good, it's low profile, and an over-sized 12" tom case shouldn't be needed. [controversial] Also, I'm of the thought that I'm not really sure how much those suspension rings make THAT much of a difference [/controversial].

thumbnail.asp

Same!

You should check out the club dates. On the drum Center of Portsmouth Ludwig shootout I preferred the classics and the club dates out of all the drums that they tried out.. I bought a set of Club dates in May. I left the Kik virgin for a little while and ran the Tom on a snare stand. Didn't really like it. So I attached a DW rail on top of the Kik. The club date cannot use the atlas mount that's why I went with DW. I've had Tom's hanging off of cymbal stands and on snare stands and I prefer my Tom's to be on top of the Kik.

If I'm using a 1-up setup, I put the tom in a snare stand. For a 2-up, I use a double tom stand next to the bass drum. I really don't like bass mounted toms OR flying off of a cymbal stand.

You should check out the club dates.

This is a most excellent idea.

A buddy of mine is selling a set of Club Dates, and they sound really great!

I have a rail mount, but I can't get it adjusted the way I want. I love the concept and how old school it looks, but it doesn't work well for me.

I use the Atlas rail for my rack Tom. I trued using a snare stand but it choked the crap out of the tom. Night and day difference with the Atlas mount.
I use an Atlas pro double pedal, and the rest is all Atlas standard.
They work and look great, although I am considering going to the Atlas Pro HH stand. Mostly so the pedal matches my kick pedals rather than any problem with the standard version?

B12C84AA-29AA-4362-B063-8F9CE011FABC.jpeg8BEC8D79-01FB-4B08-ABDF-8639A65893AE.jpeg

thumbnail.asp

I'm intrigued by these. Can't currently install on my Mapex Pro M toms due to single-post lugs. :/

Re: RIMS mounts- I can attest that they work, first-hand. In 2000, after years of muffling toms to the point that resonance didn't matter much (due the style of music I'd been playing), I ended up in a band that needed a more open sound that I couldn't get out of my 1991 Tama Rockstar DX kit, with the tom mount brackets right on the shell. 100% true to what the RIMS founder (name escapes me) said many times about the concept behind them, when I held each rack tom by the rim with my hand, it sang like a dream, then after mounting, sounded like a cardboard box. Bought two 1st gen Star-cast mounts for the rack toms- after mounting, they sounded the same as when holding them by the rim with my hand. The difference was night and day.

I use a snare stand, no fuss. The Tom mount on my Ludwig bass drum was long gone when I got it and I wouldn't trust 60s hardware.

I use Tama hardware mainly. The single braced roadstar stuff is amazing.

I trued using a snare stand but it choked the crap out of the tom. Night and day difference with the Atlas mount.

Yup, did the same thing with mine. That's why I use the Booty Shakers. They really do work. A friend of mine had some packing foam (about the same consistency as a pool noodle, but thinner) and made some himself. It really does make a difference.

Beautiful
Looks like you are at the top of the stroke on the rail, they should make a 3 lug span one you can get 2 toms on and have more adjustments
It could easily moved to the top position to accommodate two toms, but I’ve always considered that side of the kick to be ride cymbal real estate.?

Back