Hello, I'll try to be more than a lurker from now on...

boltnut

Been a lurking member for a couple of years, while I've been taking lessons and trying to convince my wife I needed "real drums." I've been practicing on a Yamaha DTXplorer we bought for my son years ago. I'm about to turn 48 yrs old and have been flirting with drums for 25 yrs. Life has always just seemed to get in the way. About 2 years ago I decided I was going to dedicate what little free time I had to really learning to play. So I started taking some lessons and started looking at gear. Let's just say my wife is very....frugal;). So I scanned and scoured the internet looking for the least expensive, decent used kit I could put together. After long last...I have on the way a 5- piece Tama Silverstar some Sabian AA hats and crash and a Zildjian A Ride. I grabbed some new stands namely a Gibralter 5707 HH stand and a PDP 800 Series Boom/Straight Cymbal Stand Pair. So a grand total OTD of $910. Hopefully it will all be in ok condition🤞. Any way sorry to be long winded, I just wanted to introduce myself and say I'll try to be more than just a lurker (although that is my nature) in the future.

Ronzo

Hey boltnut! We seem to share a similar drumming path.
Dabbled in drums/percussion when younger but went a different direction.
Daughter started drumming and I began banging around when she was not on the kit.
Fast forward a few months and I now have my own kit and started taking lessons....at 50 yrs old.
Lovin it!!!

boltnut

That's awesome! I'm trying too get up the nerve to sit in at a local open jam. I have ridiculous stage fright🤮. Good luck in your dumming endeavors!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hey Boltnut, welcome aboard.

Re: jams...you could go to the jams and just observe. Dip your toes in the water. You don't have to do anything right away. See what the other guys are doing first.

boltnut

Hey Boltnut, welcome aboard.

Re: jams...you could go to the jams and just observe. Dip your toes in the water. You don't have to do anything right away. See what the other guys are doing first.
I've done that the past couple if weeks. I have a friend who goes all the time. He plays guitar and sings. I think were going to try and get there early so maybe he and I can jam a little bit before everyone shows up. It's a pretty cool little thing they've got going though. I had no idea it was so popular. It's going to be a blast....after I throw-up😁

cbphoto

Gold Member
Welcome to the mosh pit, Boltnut!

At some point on your path, you’re gonna lay into your snare and wake up the entire room with a killer rim shot. When that happens, don’t bother look back, just enjoy the ride.

Ransan

Welcome to the forum; and, Congrats on the build, that’s always exciting! Here’s to many years of enjoyment from those and also shop talk here in DWF.

boltnut

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the word of encouragement. The Open Jam is tonight but I may wait until next week, as I haven't been on an acoustic set in about 8 years. My kit is supposed to be delivered on Friday, so maybe over the weekend I can get reacquainted and give it a go next week.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Practice playing along with some 3 chord type classic rock, country and blues songs. That's probably 90 % of what people play at jam sessions. Don't be afraid of open mic sessions, jam musicians are the most welcoming people that I know.

boltnut

Practice playing along with some 3 chord type classic rock, country and blues songs. That's probably 90 % of what people play at jam sessions. Don't be afraid of open mic sessions, jam musicians are the most welcoming people that I know.
That’s what they’re playing alright. Unfortunately I won’t be getting to practice on my new(to me) kit yet. It showed up today minus the double tom mount. The Guitar Center I bought it from forgot it. They’re sending it but it’s a 3-day ship.
Oh well, at least I have an acoustic drum set back in my life!