Hello from T dot!

TripleStroke

My name is Paul and I am thrilled to become a part of this community! I live in Toronto and I've been lurking these boards for plethora of resources regarding tips/gear for a few years and never crossed my mind to register as a member!? Here I am now!

Born and raised in South Korea for my first 10 years of my life, I grew up playing the piano since I was six years old. My gift of perfect pitch aided me in identifying music to intricate levels of playing, however I have always magnitized towards DRUMS. Years of bugging my parents to get me a drumset coupled with a "it's too big and loud" response, I persisted and ended up getting my very first Westbury beginner kit at the age of 13 in Canada. I spent years of my youth trying to become a "drummer" without any lessons. Became a part of my very first band with my two friends rocking out to Green Day and Rage Against the Machine. I raised money on my own and finally got my own set of "legit drums" when I was 17. They were 2006 Pearl Session Studio SBX and I loved it.

However, continuation of using the same set of bad drumming habits and genre of music, I have hit a plateau in my growth and eventually became bored of it. I let go of drumming completely when I entered university for my studies to become an X-ray tehcnologist. By the time I graduated and started working, the 40 hour week of x-raying patients and going home to nothing for 2 years triggered an itch that wouldnt go without an occasional scratch. I had to sit and reflect on the hobbies I used to love and enjoyed doing. I found myself looking for bandmates to play as a drummer again when I was 24. Seven years later, I am entering my golden years of my early 30's continuing to hoping to become a better and a polished drummer who can utilize rudiments and proper techniques to open realms of possibilities. I love everything about the nitty gritty detail and intricacies of what the world of drumming has to offer, whether it be tuning, gear combo, application of rudiments around the kit or straight up rocking out no matter what people think of me. This forum just screams my identity as an individual and couldn't be happier to be a part of it. I only wished i stuck to drumming and learned diligently in my youth because the limbs arent as quick to adapt in ur late 20s as opposed to your teens. It is also hard to accelerate progress with a full time job. I am still young enough to grow however and hope to become a valuable, contrubuting member here.

I have recently gone through some major upgrades and am proud to present my current gear of my dreams:

DW collectors VLT MAPLE in broken glass finish

10x8 tom
12x8 tom
14x12 floor tom
16x14 floor tom
20x16 bass

14x5.5 collectors maple snare in cherry satin

DW 9000 2-leg hi hat pedal
DW 9000 single pedal

9" Zildjian K custom hybrid splash
14" Zildjian K mastersound hi hats
17" Paiste Signature power crash
18" Paiste Signature fast crash
18" Paiste precision china
20" Paiste 2oo2 ride

See you all around.

Last edited:

Stroker

Platinum Member
Welcome, TS! Wicked kit you have there! If ever you have the opportunity to give us a sound sample, please do!

PlayTheSong

I'd love to see a photo of your set-up too.

Don't complain about how hard it is to train your hands at 31 years of age though :) Many of us here are doing that in our 50s and beyond. My oldest son is turning 31 and I just returned to drumming last year after decades away.

You've probably already read all the advice, since you've been reading here for a while, but find people to play with as soon as you can, listen to recordings of your rehearsals, always emphasize musicality over chops and leave your ego at the door.

I'm just down the 401 in the Ottawa area.

TripleStroke

Welcome, TS! Wicked kit you have there! If ever you have the opportunity to give us a sound sample, please do!
Hi brother. Thanks for the welcome. I have a few youtube uploads of me and my band playing using a phone video... so sound quality isnt gonna be great but perhapa once i purchase a mic I will attempt a genuine sound capture of what I wanna play

I'd love to see a photo of your set-up too.

Don't complain about how hard it is to train your hands at 31 years of age though :) Many of us here are doing that in our 50s and beyond. My oldest son is turning 31 and I just returned to drumming last year after decades away.

You've probably already read all the advice, since you've been reading here for a while, but find people to play with as soon as you can, listen to recordings of your rehearsals, always emphasize musicality over chops and leave your ego at the door.

I'm just down the 401 in the Ottawa area.
Hi PTS! Thanks for the welcome
Im definitely not complaining haha. Age isnt the factor here, it is just the sheer number of years i could've been playing but didnt. Lots of time though. Also, i did find a band to play with. We have been together about 1.5 yrs now. I just forgot to mention it above i guess.

Ive also made my first pic post on show ur driver pic thread and awaiting approval on my first pic thread i just posted! Stay tuned!!