Hello from a newbie

rummy

Hi, everyone. I'm new to DW. I've been a guitar player all my life, but I decided to pick up a drum set for my basement back in October. This is my first foray into the drum world, and it's blowing my mind. As someone who had never sat behind a kit, everything is new and foreign to me. I'm just trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible here.

Other than learning the basic pop groove, I've been doing singles, doubles and paradiddles on my practice pad every night. 2 months in, I felt I was stuck, so I decided to look up teachers in the area. I begin my first lesson next Tuesday and I am so excited for it.

Thanks for having me here.

Hi, everyone. I'm new to DW. I've been a guitar player all my life, but I decided to pick up a drum set for my basement back in October. This is my first foray into the drum world, and it's blowing my mind.

Welcome!

Did basically the same three years back after three decades of guitar. Good deal on getting an instructor.

Welcome!

Did basically the same three years back after three decades of guitar. Good deal on getting an instructor.

How was the transition for you?
The toughest part for me is not having the ears for drums. When you hear some guitar riff or something on the radio, you kinda know what the player is doing to achieve that sound. For me, when I hear drums, I don't know what I'm hearing, therefore I cannot begin to replicate it. I'm hoping it comes with experience and repetition.

How was the transition for you?
The toughest part for me is not having the ears for drums. When you hear some guitar riff or something on the radio, you kinda know what the player is doing to achieve that sound. For me, when I hear drums, I don't know what I'm hearing, therefore I cannot begin to replicate it. I'm hoping it comes with experience and repetition.

Indeed. Learning rudiments is like learning common riffs on guitar. The problem with the first year is that you can't hear a drum part and intuitively map it out into the rudiments. Time and practice seem to be the only solution.

The biggest difference in playing the two instruments is that you can fake/fudge things on guitar. I can fat finger a guitar lick and rig it to sound right through sheer force of will. Not so much on drums.

You do have a leg up on other beginning drummers though. Your right hand subdivisions will come for free. Dynamic details like ghost notes on the left hand will come for free as well. There are times where you have to fight your intuition as well... IE: In Reggae, the guitar chucks on the 2 and 4.... On drums, the BD lands on the three. It feels weird at first.

The last advantage is that you can grab a looping pedal and write/emulate however-many-bars of whatever the hell you want on guitar, and play drums on top of it. Many drummers would KILL for that ability. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

Indeed. Learning rudiments is like learning common riffs on guitar. The problem with the first year is that you can't hear a drum part and intuitively map it out into the rudiments. Time and practice seem to be the only solution.

The biggest difference in playing the two instruments is that you can fake/fudge things on guitar. I can fat finger a guitar lick and rig it to sound right through sheer force of will. Not so much on drums.

You do have a leg up on other beginning drummers though. Your right hand subdivisions will come for free. Dynamic details like ghost notes on the left hand will come for free as well. There are times where you have to fight your intuition as well... IE: In Reggae, the guitar chucks on the 2 and 4.... On drums, the BD lands on the three. It feels weird at first.

The last advantage is that you can grab a looping pedal and write/emulate however-many-bars of whatever the hell you want on guitar, and play drums on top of it. Many drummers would KILL for that ability. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

This is great info. Really appreciate your insight. I don't think I would have gotten this point of view from anyone else.

Back