Hello Everyone! :) I need feedback on my drumming/music!

PanicPRone

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I'd like to say hello to every fellow drummer out here :)

Now, I don't know if you get lots of threads like this around here, but here goes.

My name is João, I'm 26 years old, am from Portugal and been playing drums since I was 16. However, you're probably thinking "you've been playing for 10 years, you must be pretty good at the very least".

The problem is: I'm not.

I've never progressed really well, I never really took the effort to dedicate myself to drumming as much as I could, but I love drumming and I call it an "unattended passion". Never took a single lesson in my life and if some tells me to play something in 5/8 I just stare at them blankly :/

Now, this doesn't mean that I can't actually play 5/8, I just don't know I am doing it!

To make it shorter, I started playing drums because of Lars Ulrich (not the best role model, I know), who to an untrained drummer, is like a god. But once you start evolving, you see the he uses the same tricks over and over and never really goes anywhere.

This is how I feel about my drumming... but I really would like you to tell me what you guys think.

My band started in 2004, and we went on a hiatus from early 2009 until now. Basically 2 years.

Music details:

This track is the last one we completed before we stopped, we were actually planning on going to studio to record it as a single, but first we wanted to do a home recording with separate instruments to see how it woulds sound.

We never recorded vocals because work got in the way, and we couldn't rehearse at all.

Now we're back and are once again planning on taking this track to the studio.

Here it is:

http://www.myspace.com/deadendportugal

Press play, and wait a few seconds, it has about 10 seconds silence at the beginning.

NOTE: This is home recorded, please understand the quality isn't the best.

Tell me what you think of it, as well as my drumming style!

Cheers

There are also a couple of videos from us playing live, check them if you want :D

PanicPRone

not bad, but you rush and drag through the track, i recommend recording and practicing with a metronome.
Thanks man :) I know there are some out of sync parts, but I'll be totally honest with you, It seems to me that it is the guitar that goes out of time.

Maybe it's me and I suck :p

But overall, did it feel "forced"? or did it flow naturally? imagine you heard this one the radio, properly recorded, you would probably rate the drums as average, I presume?

I know I'm not good, but just trying to know how much of "not good" I really am.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Thanks man :) I know there are some out of sync parts, but I'll be totally honest with you, It seems to me that it is the guitar that goes out of time.

Maybe it's me and I suck :p

But overall, did it feel "forced"? or did it flow naturally? imagine you heard this one the radio, properly recorded, you would probably rate the drums as average, I presume?

I know I'm not good, but just trying to know how much of "not good" I really am.
hey man i said nothing about how good you are. i have heard great drummers on tracks that i don't like, and i like yours, you are doing things that take coordination and independence that some drummers don't have.

don't worry about being better than people or good or not good, that stuff is for sports.

One thing i noticed in your song is that you rush fast fills by playing too fast. It is a pretty easy fix with a little time, play nice and slow with a click track and do 16th note fills nice and slow. also try putting your high hat foot on all beats or just beats 2 and 4.

KBadd

Silver Member
Rush, drag.....who cares. It's a live recording. Good song and you played well. I would have done a couple of different things, but that's me. I liked it!