heel/toe double vs 2-foot power

skm372

hello,

i've been working on learning the heel toe technique to play fast kick drum doubles with just one foot in linear combinations. i've gotten pretty solid with the technique by itself and am now trying to integrate it into beats and fills. I've noticed that the volume I get out of a heel-toe double is noticeably less than if I play the same combinations using both feet. Is this something that just needs to be practiced and worked through until I have a more consistent control over the technique, or is the heel-toe technique always going to be less powerful/loud than using two feet?

I see videos of people doing the technique very cleanly and loudly, but then I see all kinds of talk about triggers and this and that. am i correct in presuming that i don't need to trigger my bass drum to get volume and consistency out of the heel/toe (with of course appropriate practice)?

also just to clarify, i'm playing on an iron cobra, not longboards or anything, so when i say "heel-toe" i'm referring to the version of the technique where the heel isn't actually hitting the pedal itself (as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMGCT-J-_N0).

Lastly, does anybody have any exercises they recommend to strengthen my heel-toe doubles' power? I've already seen/practice a lot of the basic stuff recommended around the net, so anything more off the beaten path would be especially appreciated.

thanks for any advice you guys have i advance as usual.

JT1

Silver Member
hello,

i've been working on learning the heel toe technique to play fast kick drum doubles with just one foot in linear combinations. i've gotten pretty solid with the technique by itself and am now trying to integrate it into beats and fills. I've noticed that the volume I get out of a heel-toe double is noticeably less than if I play the same combinations using both feet. Is this something that just needs to be practiced and worked through until I have a more consistent control over the technique, or is the heel-toe technique always going to be less powerful/loud than using two feet?

I see videos of people doing the technique very cleanly and loudly, but then I see all kinds of talk about triggers and this and that. am i correct in presuming that i don't need to trigger my bass drum to get volume and consistency out of the heel/toe (with of course appropriate practice)?

also just to clarify, i'm playing on an iron cobra, not longboards or anything, so when i say "heel-toe" i'm referring to the version of the technique where the heel isn't actually hitting the pedal itself (as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMGCT-J-_N0).

Lastly, does anybody have any exercises they recommend to strengthen my heel-toe doubles' power? I've already seen/practice a lot of the basic stuff recommended around the net, so anything more off the beaten path would be especially appreciated.

thanks for any advice you guys have i advance as usual.

As with learning most techniques, it takes time. Apart from learning the correct way to perform a certain technique, power, speed, control and accuracy are all effects which will improve as you practice.

I have started doing the same thing except I have been using the slide technique as I feel it provides more power than heel-toe but it depends on the player. Right now it's ok and there is some power there but that will improve through repeated use of the motion.

If only I could convince myself to stop playing them altogether on double pedal.